IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Seadog (Offline)
  #21 10/8/07 1:27 PM
[QUOTE=itsanonwingthing;13529]I have yet to hear from anyone who is in favor of increasing the track's size next year, and this is in talking to Sprint and stock car drivers as well as fans. I also was part of a conversation Saturday that included Terry Eaglin, a weekly L'Burg Sprint car driver and his wife, and a few others. Terry of course hears from many in the racing circles, and to quote him...."I have not heard from One person, and I mean One (as he holds up his finger) person who is favor of making the track bigger". He seemed to think car counts will eventually drop over time. The sprint driver and his wife, are also concerned as to the their future in running next year, with increased cost to run competitively, and the added danger of running as fast as they will run if the track is prepared anywhere near what it was Saturday. This whole thing is the brainchild (I shouldn
Gregg (Offline)
  #22 10/8/07 1:42 PM
Agree 100 percent with itsnonwingthing about the expansion of the track.

As for the situation with Kimb Stewart, I was of the feeling that her services were very much appreciated and I thought Dave said so himself on an IOW.com post around the time of the server upgrade. If she has indeed had her employment terminated in such a manner it is very disappointing. Announcers like Kimb Stewart do not come along every day. Hopefully Dave can clear the air on this matter with an explanation.
itsanonwingthing (Offline)
  #23 10/8/07 2:05 PM
Originally Posted by Seadog:
Danny Smith's opinion is valued, I'm sure. But the opinions that really count is the guys that run there every week, not a guy who runs there once or twice a season.
I think your making my point, if Lawrenceburg is to continue to be a weekly track (which I thought the talk was of a "Special Shows" only track for '08, and this has apparently changed, maybe for '09??) then it will benefit the Local racers to keep it a 1/4 mile. It is a good feeling for a local Low budget racer to go to the track and know he or she can race and compete with a limited budget and contend for a top 5 or a win. Make it to where you need a big motor, and spares, and you eliminate the number of contenders on any given evening.

Yes Danny Smith will only run once or twice in a year, but I think he might feel that he might not have won the WoO race a couple years back if the track was 3/8 at that time. The 1/4 mile was the great equalizer, and Danny did not need a hauler full of recently refreshened motors to beat the top WoO driver$ on that night! Yea he might of anyway, but his chances were better on that size track.

On edit, to add a little sarcasm
Maybe the 3/8 should add a pit road, that way when the ASCoC or WoO now need to have up two Red Flag stops for fuel, they can just come down pit road, refuel and not stop the SPRINT race!!!!:eek:

Keith Wendel
It's a Non Wing thing,.......you wouldn't understand!
illiNOISE (Offline)
  #24 10/8/07 2:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson:
Don't be pissed at the scorers when your car number 12 with a little c is confused with a car number 12 with a little g on the line-up.
:thumb: Amen to that. What's even more of a nightmare is when you have identical looking team cars that use the small letters behind the number. I'm not sure how scorers can be expected to diffrentiate between tiny 1/2 inch high letters when a car goes across the line at 60-80 mph.:rolleyes:

Even Roman Chariots ran non-wing, and on dirt. Hail Caesar!
Seadog (Offline)
  #25 10/8/07 2:19 PM
Originally Posted by itsanonwingthing:
I think your making my point
That was sort of my intention, in my usual twisted, roundabout, way. I still say in the end, it's really all about the paying customer and what they want. Like I said - how about 5/16 track? I believe LPS is a 5/16 and they don't seem to have a problem with it. True, they have other problems, but I never heard that mentioned as one of them.
cecil98 (Offline)
  #26 10/8/07 2:44 PM
keith is right about speeds and track prep. did any one else notice how fast those guys were running around there (W/O a wing!!!) saturday? i couldn't hardly watch it when my kid was out there. can you imagine if that was a 3/8? i would prefer it stay a 1/4 unless they're going to prepare a slicker surface once it's expanded. JMO
zeroracer (Offline)
  #27 10/8/07 3:03 PM
Personally i think it would be a good idea if they put some bank on the race track if they are going to expand it. Fast and Flat is not a good combination at all. I think something needs to change to get two grooves period whether its the same size or bigger.

Bad deal with Kimb she did an awesome job, and she did even better yet at IRP for the Crown race. Best of luck to her.
JordanBlanton (Offline)
  #28 10/8/07 8:58 PM
Originally Posted by psullivan:
as for the "where was Kimb question"

She was fired from her job by email - I don't think I need to say more.

So she was asked to work a broadcast of the UMP Late Model race at Eldora where I am sure she did her homework as always and worked hard.

I probably shouldn't even reply, as I sometimes get into trouble when I talk about controversial subjects, but I can't help myself...

Anybody wanna know what got me into Sprint car racing? Bloomington Speedway...I went one night because my brother was at IU, and I wanted to see the modifieds on a track besides Brownstown...I could barely keep up with the sprints, because they were too fast for me, but you wanna know what made the sprints still so darn interesting that I just had to get more? Pat Sullivan's announcing...swear to God. The stories, the history, the 'these guys live for racing and so do I' that came through the PA was astounding. While I can now keep up with the cars on the track, a night at Bloomington just wouldn't be right without Pat's commentary.

Why did I just spend a paragraph telling you why Pat Sullivan is a huge part of the draw to Bloomington for me? Guess who Kimb Stewart reminded me of when I made my first trip to Lawrenceburg? I went with intentions of seeing this 'wonder track' everybody had talked about with 0 dust and 14 racing grooves (sarcasm, for those taking notes), and I went in after having read plenty of negative comments about Kimb after the USAC race in the early, early season. I saw lots of dust lots of black, not the wonder track I had heard about...but guess who knocked my socks off...that lady in the announcer's booth really knew what she was talking about. She spent the night talking about the history of the track and the history of most of the drivers on the track. She kept up with the race, and on cautions you knew what was going on even if you had been watching the front and the action was in the back. I found her to be a great asset to the racing program each time I made it to Lawrenceburg this year

Here's to hoping Kimb a bright future, and hoping her replacement will fill her shoes well.
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #29 10/8/07 9:20 PM
Im not replying to the Kimb situation as I have no evidence, facts or anything.

I also feel a little guilty as I said like Dave said earlier this year, I Could listen to her all night, every night.

I will say this, SHE SHINED BEST WORKING WITH SOMEONE, Filling the holes with valuable information, history and color She also did a lot of off track promotion and such like the radio shows and Internet shows like D.O.

Good Luck Kimb! In all you strive for.
Chuck

Charles Nungester