IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > DuQuoin weather
9/1/13, 11:30 PM   #41
Re: DuQuoin weather
miledirt

Craziest finish ever! Congrats Urish!!
Wonder what the wise ol veteran Bryan Tyler would have done tonight? Maybe conserved a bit... and won it? Hmmmm Chris Bell IS the real deal too

4 members like this post: cbell#1fan, kart31rac, kruser, SC90
9/1/13, 11:34 PM   #42
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
What did they run at the Burg?
Do you count bench races towards your season totals?
Maybe I should since its now a competition. How about all TV races as well? Might just count all the stories of races others attended
Only reason I keep track is to try to best it the next year and remember what happened at each race. Was never about beating anyone.

Hope you had a good time, Wherever you are.

9/1/13, 11:55 PM   #43
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Wow. That was a wild and crazy finish. Still not quite sure happened with everyone and when but congrats to Urish on the win. Maybe it'll be more clear in the morning. Lol. Food fair coma.

Holy crap too much sugar. That's supposed to say fair food coma. Glad I got to see a race tonight
Last edited by wildman92; 9/2/13 at 12:27 AM.

9/2/13, 12:23 AM   #44
Great Scott

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 63

Now that was a lot going on in the last 20 laps. The only thing I'm sure of is Urish won. Great battle between Shane and Bobby during the middle of the race.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dirtfan, racing2bwithu2
9/2/13, 12:25 AM   #45
Danny Burton

TRAXXAS USAC SILVER CROWN CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES RACE RESULTS: September 1, 2013 – DuQuoin, Illinois – DuQuoin State Fairgrounds – “Ted Horn 100”

QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Jerry Coons Jr., 27, RW-30.462; 2. Robert Ballou, 63, DePalma-30.484; 3. Bobby East, 10, Stewart/Curb-Agajanian-30.507; 4. Christopher Bell, 21, Six-R Racing-30.678; 5. Chris Windom, 17, RW-30.870; 6. Shane Cockrum, 15, Hardy-31.439; 7. Taylor Ferns, 35, Ferns-31.772; 8. Russ Gamester, 51, Gamester-31.948; 9. Chris Urish, 77, Urish-32.032; 10. Miranda Throckmorton, 33, Six-R-32.513; 11. A.J. Fike, 3, RFMS-32.603; 12. Patrick Lawson, 2, Lawson-33.490; 13. Tiffany Wyzard, 30, King-34.989; 14. Kody Swanson, 25, Sachs-NT; 15. Tracy Hines, 16, Lightfoot-NT.

FEATURE: (100 Laps) 1. Chris Urish, 2. Bobby East, 3. A.J. Fike, 4. Shane Cockrum, 5. Robert Ballou, 6. Taylor Ferns, 7. Chris Windom, 8. Jerry Coons Jr., 9. Christopher Bell, 10. Russ Gamester, 11. Miranda Throckmorton, 12. Tiffany Wyzard, 13. Kody Swanson, 14. Patrick Lawson, 15. Tracy Hines. NT
------------------------------------------------------

FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-80 Ballou, Laps 81-97 Windom, Laps 98-100 Urish.

NEW TRAXXAS SILVER CROWN SERIES POINT STANDINGS: 1-East-339, 2-Coons-331, 3-Hines-321, 4-Windom-315, 5-Swanson-308, 6-Fike-272, 7-Brian Tyler-249, 8-Shane Hollingsworth-182, 9-Ferns-159, 10-Ballou-150.

NEXT TRAXXAS SILVER CROWN RACE: September 21 – Rossburg, Ohio – Eldora Speedway – “4-Crown Nationals”

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, dirt330, EBookerFan, TNRustler
9/2/13, 1:13 AM   #46
SC12

DuQuoin, IL (Sept 1, 2013)-Chris Urish missed the season opener of the 2013 USAC Traxxas Silver Crown Series due to obligations on his family farm near Elkhart, Illinois and his finishes in the last two series events while respectable would hardly have made him a favorite to win the Ted Horn 100 at DuQuoin.

Yet that is precisely what the Elkhart native did, taking the lead late in the event as one by one drivers leading the race or running in front of Urish stopped due to mechanical failure or slowed, their engines starving for fuel. Urish motored past them and ended up in victory lane in what was possibly the wildest finish in the history of championship racing at the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds.

Rocklin, California driver Robert Ballou led from opening green flag, waved by the voice of the Southern Illinois University Salukis Mike Reis. An afternoon rain shower gave the "Magic Mile" just the moisture it needed and Ballou rode the cushion for 80 miles and at one time had a 17 second lead on second place Jerry Coons, Jr. Coons attempted to get past Ballou but his Toyota motor gave up with about a third of the event left. Just after lap 80 the hard running took its toll on Ballou's machine and he ran out of fuel and went two laps in arrears.

That handed the lead to Canton, Illinois driver Chris Windom, with Benton, Illinois shoe Shane Cockrum in second and Urish riding third. However, Cockrum and Windom both slowed due to fuel issues in the last ten laps handing the lead to Urish who was chased to the checker by Bobby East and A.J. Fike.

Complete results of the Ted Horn 100 can be found at www.usacracing.com.

Sent from my iPad

Guys I am exhausted. That may be the craziest finish I have ever seen. Congrats to Urish. He becomes the first Illini native winner since Gary B. in 1988, and the first downstate native to win at DuQuoin since Branson in 1965. At one time drivers from the home state were running 1-2-3.

As happy as I am for Chris, I feel that bad for Ballou. If you did not see him drive the cushion tonite, you missed one heckuva ride.

5 members like this post: fasster23, racing2bwithu2, ronmil, SC90, TNRustler
9/2/13, 2:12 AM   #47
sw1911

There were times tonight I thought I was at Lincoln Park or Tri State watching Robert ride the cushion. There were slide jobs that I never before noticed at a SC race. It is a hard one to describe if you were not there. Also, I got to sit by 89 year old Paul Collins from Perryville MO. This was his 51st race at DQ. He is a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge. WWII. The big war. He said 900 WWII vets die every day. And he has arranged for his ashes to be spread on the Magic Mile when he passes on. It was really touching to see him put his hand on his heart for the National Anthem and raise his hand in recognition of the veterans. What an incredible night. The car count was irrelevant. And Bob Jenkins calling the race. Wow. What a night.

9/2/13, 4:24 AM   #48
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Been to every Silver Crown race at DuQuoin since 1965, and I must say the last twenty laps were some of the craziest I've seen. What a finish! Feel so bad for Robert Ballou, who ran out of fuel after leading the first eighty laps. Running the high groove obviously took more fuel. You don't need thirty cars to have a good race. Remember, in USAC' s glory days of Foyt, Branson, Rutherford, etc., they only started eighteen cars.

9/2/13, 8:52 AM   #49
mr nobody
Banned

Two questions: What penalty is Chris Windom talking about? What happened to Robert Ballou that relegated him from 5th to 15th? I see the USAC write-up shows Ballou in 15th this morning.

9/2/13, 10:00 AM   #50
opendirt63

Ballou was shown as seventh at the end of the race and was announced as finishing by the PA system . Was then told he was in fifth. And since je was under the impression he was in seventh never went to scale. Usac felt he needed to be disqualified for not going to the scales

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > DuQuoin weather