IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stay In, Stay Safe - The Kevin Ward Jr. Rule.
8/11/14, 2:05 PM   #1
Stay In, Stay Safe - The Kevin Ward Jr. Rule.
Stephen Cording

Please Spare just a few seconds of your day and support - Stay In, Stay Safe - The Kevin Ward Jr. Rule.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...d-jr-rule.html

Thank you for your time.

6 members like this post: DAD, I Miss Manzy, Indy1808, Jonr, koolaid89, TQ29m
8/11/14, 2:37 PM   #2
Re: Stay In, Stay Safe - The Kevin Ward Jr. Rule.
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I signed; have you?
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

8/11/14, 5:04 PM   #3
DAD

That is neat "online" do it yourself petitions, I could use half a dozen of them things. Hope it works>

Honest Dad himself

8/11/14, 5:21 PM   #4
BrentTFunk

I would bet this will be a topic at a lot of drivers meetings in the future. Sad something like this has to remind people

4 members like this post: billw, jim goerge, Lillyweld, red33
8/11/14, 8:14 PM   #5
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

So some dirt late model guy outta West Virginia has contacted Kevin's family in New York state and gotten the approval to do this?

I'm not sure I would want my deceased childs name to be part of a rule or online petition some passionate fan decided to create. Besides $1,000 fine isn't much of a deterrent to some people. Just my opinion.

8/11/14, 8:38 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I'm for something like this at all tracks, However, We all know its going to happen again and again and has for the 40+ years I've been going to races. Most of the time its a finger point from beside your wrecked car or a throw of a wheel or helmet and of course the good ole Number 1 signal. I've even seen a driver take a feet first flying leap into the cockpit of a moving modified and several attempts to punch a driver while in a moving car..

What can be done? Anyone besides track personnel without safety crew present on the racing surface. THE TRACK GOES RED! Red means stop in the safest possible manner, Not cruise to the track entrance, work area and certainly not pass a accident scene.

A driver is not to leave his car until safety personnel present Only exception is drivers safety, Fire/leaking fluids.

I got the feeling in some areas this will go further than just a track rule. While releases can be binding, I can see insurance companies mandating some things.

It also might not be a bad Idea to have some reflective material on uniforms. A leg and arm stripe. Even if there is no malice involved a moving vehicle is more likely to see someone wearing reflective gear.

Not sure on the petition, Does it get delivered to every driver, team and race track in the country?
Chuck

2 members like this post: FEATHERDUSTER, The Old Coyote
8/11/14, 8:42 PM   #7
monkeyboy

If you'd throw boxing gloves on them and let them go at it. All in front of the paying customers of course. Then you'd have no reason to get out and finger point.

8/11/14, 9:21 PM   #8

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

Got no problem with some sort of fine or suspension rule to deter going after other drivers. But how about we just throw the RED when a driver exits the car onto the racing surface without track personal there. Would rather sit through a needless red.

1 member likes this post: sprinter6p
8/11/14, 9:28 PM   #9
Jonr

Great idea. Much better way to spend our energy than the he said/she said nonsense that has been going on. What would be great is if we could get some of the sanctioning bodies to agree to this rule. It would give it more teeth.

While we are at it, can we please outlaw corner flag men and officials. I cringe every time I see an official get on the track on the back straight away. There can be no good that comes from having an official on the track. This is especially true that almost all tracks now require a Racever device. The only people going on the track should be emergency workers.

I was at a track that had a corner worker die while on the track. It was absolutely a senseless tragedy. Two children were denied an opportunity to know their dad because he was on the track telling the drivers to pack in the high groove.

8/12/14, 1:08 AM   #10
Kinser11

As long as Adrenaline runs through our veins, and overloads common sense, no rule is going to change this. Other than giving some Lawyer something else, to use against us. People should never make knee jerk reaction to tragic events. There's no rule that would have stop this young man from exiting his car, like thousands of other drivers have done. In today's society everyone wants more rules to protect us from ourselves. No rule can be made on a judgment, call where Money and safety are concern. Lawyer would have a field day the next time someone was burnt in a fire. Some may think this is wrong but how many millions did McDonald's pay in the hot coffee suit?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stay In, Stay Safe - The Kevin Ward Jr. Rule.