IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Brickyard 400
7/24/17, 1:05 AM   #11
Re: Brickyard 400
Gregg

Give a shout out to Cole Whitt He brought it home in one piece and in 12th place, beating out some high dollar entries.

7/24/17, 1:40 AM   #12
Baylands

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg View Post
give a shout out to cole whitt he brought it home in one piece and in 12th place, beating out some high dollar entries.
+1

2 members like this post: koolaid89, nathans1012
7/24/17, 9:59 AM   #13
Backitin

I'd almost expect a bunch of yellows in a sprintcar 40 lapper, I'm always amazed at the drivers talents to avoid wrecks when charging hard and doing slidejobs where just touching rear tires is usually a disaster.
On the other hand I'm always amazed when the so called best drivers in the world crash constantly. Its obvious watching nascar that most of the drivers are in over their heads.
Being born with connections or looks that attract sponsors doesn't make you a great driver. I'm not talking about all the nascar drivers there is a few great talents.

2 members like this post: Bostonian, speed bump
7/24/17, 11:55 AM   #14
rj1

Watching the race I'm just slackjawed at what modern auto racing has become. Not a full list by any means:

-we see a thunderstorm coming, command to start engines a little after 2:30, race starts around 2:40, TV coverage starts at 2, no adjustment at all with the incoming inclement weather with the extra TV time
-crash occurs on lap 10, because we already scheduled a caution at lap 20, no one is allowed to take fuel, this is from a competition perspective indefensible
-rain comes at lap 12, cars are parked for 2 to 3 hours, we move the competition caution to lap 30 because from all this time of cars standing still and the already scheduled competition cautions that NASCAR markets as ends of segments, we need to slow down the racing yet again
-J.J. Yeley crashes, collects 2 cars with him, and NBC commentator Rick Allen is so enthusiastic about his job he acts like he's covering a golf tournament calling the action and doesn't raise his voice one decibel; if you were not actively watching the TV, you would have had no idea a crash had occurred
-Rick Allen at one point said "things are so competitive, we have 34 cars on the lead lap"; well, when you throw the caution every 15 laps on a 2.5-mile oval, yeah, that occurs, that doesn't mean the guys 20th on back are running close to the leader
-then everyone starts running out of talent and crashes into one another, it took them almost an hour to run the last 10 to 15 laps in the race and the majority of those were under caution
-you had the ridiculous thing of Kahne getting passed by Keselowski when the race was green for maybe a hundred yards because NASCAR's restart rules are so constrained instead of just giving the leader charge of the field for a wider area, also the constrained restart rules helped create the large frontstretch crash and the red flag that led to...
-then the sun is going down and the race may be stopped due to darkness after a 2nd red flag due to drivers running out of talent, because a race that starts at 2:30 should end before 9 o'clock, wiping out a lot of NBC's primetime programming and I'm sure they were happy at 7:55pm about choosing to start the race later in the afternoon
-then, the race ends on a crash during a green-white-checker, however the crash occurred before Kahne crossed the restart line, but they waited to throw the caution until after Kahne crossed the line because they had to get the race over to make NBC happy but especially because they didn't want to end the race due to darkness

This race perfectly embodies NASCAR racing in 2017.
Last edited by rj1; 7/24/17 at 12:06 PM.

7/24/17, 12:28 PM   #15
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I'm so happy NASCAR has no interest in Sprint Car Racing!
Last edited by davidm; 7/24/17 at 6:17 PM.

7/24/17, 12:35 PM   #16
racer-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj1 View Post
Watching the race I'm just slackjawed at what modern auto racing has become. Not a full list by any means:

-we see a thunderstorm coming, command to start engines a little after 2:30, race starts around 2:40, TV coverage starts at 2, no adjustment at all with the incoming inclement weather with the extra TV time
-crash occurs on lap 10, because we already scheduled a caution at lap 20, no one is allowed to take fuel, this is from a competition perspective indefensible
-rain comes at lap 12, cars are parked for 2 to 3 hours, we move the competition caution to lap 30 because from all this time of cars standing still and the already scheduled competition cautions that NASCAR markets as ends of segments, we need to slow down the racing yet again
-J.J. Yeley crashes, collects 2 cars with him, and NBC commentator Rick Allen is so enthusiastic about his job he acts like he's covering a golf tournament calling the action and doesn't raise his voice one decibel; if you were not actively watching the TV, you would have had no idea a crash had occurred
-Rick Allen at one point said "things are so competitive, we have 34 cars on the lead lap"; well, when you throw the caution every 15 laps on a 2.5-mile oval, yeah, that occurs, that doesn't mean the guys 20th on back are running close to the leader
-then everyone starts running out of talent and crashes into one another, it took them almost an hour to run the last 10 to 15 laps in the race and the majority of those were under caution
-you had the ridiculous thing of Kahne getting passed by Keselowski when the race was green for maybe a hundred yards because NASCAR's restart rules are so constrained instead of just giving the leader charge of the field for a wider area, also the constrained restart rules helped create the large frontstretch crash and the red flag that led to...
-then the sun is going down and the race may be stopped due to darkness after a 2nd red flag due to drivers running out of talent, because a race that starts at 2:30 should end before 9 o'clock, wiping out a lot of NBC's primetime programming and I'm sure they were happy at 7:55pm about choosing to start the race later in the afternoon
-then, the race ends on a crash during a green-white-checker, however the crash occurred before Kahne crossed the restart line, but they waited to throw the caution until after Kahne crossed the line because they had to get the race over to make NBC happy but especially because they didn't want to end the race due to darkness

This race perfectly embodies NASCAR racing in 2017.
Thanks for reminding some of us older guys of all the highlights!!

7/24/17, 1:44 PM   #17
chathamracefan

Yesterday's race was another piece of evidence that Brian France is proving the old adage that any family run business is 1 generation away from extinction.

While parts of yesterday's race were entertaining (in a weird sort of way), the sport is so far gone from what it used to be & what it should be IMO. Restart zones, overtime line, green white checkered, lucky dog, the playoffs, etc all to cater to a fad fan that came & went several years ago. It is a shell of what it was even 15 years ago before the aforementioned changes started being made.

I've always been a fan of racing of all sorts. Over the last several years, my paying fandom exists exclusively on the dirt side of things (except for watching the PPV of the Little 500!). Of course, dirt racing has issues with costs & other things, but there is still a sense that you are just going to watch a good hard race. Not a bunch of gimmicked up crap.

Sometimes 1 guys kicks everyone's butt & the race might not be that great, but there are nights where it is just unforgettable. It is that way because you don't know when it is gonna happen. I'd take the Midget week show this year at Lincoln Park as an example. It was a hell of a race & Pickens put on a show that won't be forgotten. I didn't know that is what I was gonna see when I walked in but am sure glad I did.

7/24/17, 2:57 PM   #18
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Totally disagree with the person who said it was crazy hot. I had prepared for 100+ heat index with lots of extra bottled water, so it made for an overly heavy load. My son-in-law and I arrived at 8:30 to my parking space, a half hour after the gates had opened. I intended to nap a little in the car before heading up to the seats as it was overcast and therefore comfortable in the car. In the meantime, Randy observed an incoming thunderstorm on his weather app, so we headed for the track. The Speedway does not open the gate directly across from the wooden bridge on Georgetown Road for the Brickyard as they do for the 500. Instead you have to walk about half a block south and enter an enclosure then go back the same distance to the north. I guess that is because they don't have as large a staff as they do for the 500. The rain began just as we reached the track, but we were in the shelter of the grandstand. We weren't allowed to go to our seats because of the lightning.
When we arrived at our seats, which are under the cover in the Paddock, we were pleasantly surprised by low temperature and the cool breeze. We were never uncomfortable, even when the sun came out in full force later. Due to the lateness of the race, the sun did reach virtually everyone under the cover of the Paddock, but it was not uncomfortable.
I totally agree with the comments about the late start time, and I have called the Speedway and complained about each year, but nothing happens. I wonder what time they will start next year when they run it in September!
The only comment I have about the race is the amount of oil dry or speedy dry, or whatever it is called, that was used. Must surely be a record!
The lateness of the hour totally destroyed our dining plans. We always go to Gray Brothers in Mooresville, and it was too late for that. Wound up taking I70 back home and eating at the Cracker Barrel in Plainfield, where they were out of just about every thing on the menu, including biscuits, because we were there after closing time. We had arrived several minutes before that time, but Miss Congeniality was so $%@!* slow, that closing time arrived.
Seeing a race end at 7:55PM at the Speedway was a first for me, and I hope a last. Crowd was the smallest I have ever seen, and a lot of the regulars around me I have seen for years, finally threw in the towel and didn't come. My personal opinion is that the late start time has a lot to do with the decline in attendance, but whomever makes the decision on that matter apparently doesn't feel that way.
Last edited by ronmil; 7/24/17 at 3:00 PM.

1 member likes this post: racer-x
7/24/17, 4:37 PM   #19
BrentTFunk

This is what happens when corporate America run things. Its all about tv. TV will tell them when to start, and because of the money involved they will listen. Sponsors want maximum exposure on TV.

7/24/17, 5:11 PM   #20
TQ29m

Grey Brothers I can understand, but Cracker Barrel, ours in Seymour is full of grandma's, and granddads, letting the grandkids make all the noise they want, like going to an old folks home, no one can hear, so everyone shouts, I'm too old for that kinda stuff. Used to like to go to Taco Bell, but since they remodeled, and put in wall to ceiling hard tile, and all the tall chairs with the squeaky feet, it's too much for me, I have to get it to go now, love the spicy food, but can't handle the noise, just old I guess, still like the sound of an Offy, or a 410, or a good 4 cylinder, might not if I was trying to eat tho! Bob

2 members like this post: ronmil, Speedwrench
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Brickyard 400