IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The End of Schroeder Steering!
7/23/17, 8:47 PM   #1
Jalopiejoe

☆ No More Schroeder Steering Boxes! ☆ 7/19/17
I just got off the phone talking to Karen Schroeder. She said they have suspended operations and have very, very few parts available!
They sold their machinery!
Speedway Motors was not interested in buying them nor anyone else for that matter!!
She said that the cost of producing the boxes cannot be recouped at a reasonable sale price!
I asked Karen about images of the internals, there are none available. She said the sealed bearings last a lifetime. If there is no reason to open the box you are better off to leave it alone. To lube it, pull off the pitman arm and give it a spin to redistribute the grease. She said they were never meant for street use, they were built for dirt.
So there you have it!
The End of the Schroeder Steering Box!
You can reach Karen at 818-565-3311.
Joe
Last edited by Jalopiejoe; 7/23/17 at 8:50 PM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner
7/24/17, 10:54 AM   #2
treecitytornado

The number is actually, 818-565-1133.

7/24/17, 10:59 AM   #3
Jalopiejoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
The number is actually, 818-565-1133.
No,
That's the old number, it's now 818-565-3311.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/24/17, 11:37 AM   #4
Re: The End of Schroeder Steering!
TQ29m

Hate to see Gary give it up. been in the family a long time, but you need paying customers to keep on building something, that few need anymore, probably the biggest buyer in the past few years have been TQ owners, and Mini-sprint owners, and a few restoration builders, Gary pretty well built each one to an owners specs, I know he had my version for the cars I built, and the one's I kept in stock, but that wouldn't keep food on the table, he also had drive shafts, and torsion bars, which were the best, as far as I was concerned, back when Sr was in charge, they sold a lot, because that was before power steering, pretty near every open wheel car had a Gordon Schroeder steering in it, but, time moves on, and it gets faster all the time, it's just going to take a better, more determined hunter, to find one for himself, mine still has the famous tag on it, and it's as good now, as it was 20 years ago. Bob

4 members like this post: Jalopiejoe, jim goerge, Speedwrench, tirespinner
7/24/17, 12:42 PM   #5
Jalopiejoe

Pac Racing Springs bought the torsion bar side of the Schroeder Company, Hope Gary made some money on that!
Pac Racing Springs is who you get when you call the 1133 number.
Last edited by Jalopiejoe; 7/24/17 at 12:45 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/24/17, 12:47 PM   #6
treecitytornado

Yes, the PAC deal happened at PRI in 2015.

1 member likes this post: Jalopiejoe
7/24/17, 8:43 PM   #7
mac miller

So! Is there any available comparable options to the Schroeder gear???
I may have to create something but i would rather buy if someone is making something that I can use...

2 members like this post: Jalopiejoe, tirespinner
7/24/17, 9:22 PM   #8
TQ29m

Mac, here's where we find out how bad you want one, and how good a hunter you are! I have the machinery to make them, as you do, but for one? I'll hunt! Bob

7/24/17, 9:51 PM   #9
dirtrack

I have a nice RH unit for sale if anyone needs one.

7/26/17, 3:01 AM   #10
Baylands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopiejoe View Post
☆ No More Schroeder Steering Boxes! ☆ 7/19/17
I just got off the phone talking to Karen Schroeder. She said they have suspended operations and have very, very few parts available!
They sold their machinery!
Speedway Motors was not interested in buying them nor anyone else for that matter!!
She said that the cost of producing the boxes cannot be recouped at a reasonable sale price!
I asked Karen about images of the internals, there are none available. She said the sealed bearings last a lifetime. If there is no reason to open the box you are better off to leave it alone. To lube it, pull off the pitman arm and give it a spin to redistribute the grease. She said they were never meant for street use, they were built for dirt.
So there you have it!
The End of the Schroeder Steering Box!
You can reach Karen at 818-565-3311.
Joe
That's interesting news. Last year Tommy Lee retired and now Schroeder. They had to be the most influential steering gear manufacturers in the history of Sprint Car and Midget racing.

5 members like this post: Blackduce, Jalopiejoe, jim goerge, Speedwrench, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The End of Schroeder Steering!