IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
2/4/16, 8:56 PM   #1
USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
chrismattlin

So USAC is going to allow 15 year old kids to compete at the national level. What does everyone think about this? Whatever happened to running the local tracks and accomplishing something before "moving up"?

I'll be honest, I'm against this. Can a phenom of a driver, such as Bryan Clauson, at 15, handle a 410 against seasoned adults? Sure, but most can not- lets be honest. Now it's gonna be open season for "Richy Rich" who lives his life through son!

Used to be 18 to run the miles; that's out now too!

http://usacracing.com/component/k2/i...isions-in-2016

2/4/16, 9:04 PM   #2
Re: USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
Sandy Lowe

Wasn't the minimum age 15-1/2 last year? When every local track lets kids as young as 13 or 14 drive a sprint car this is what you end up with.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtHawk92, kart31rac, Pat O'Connor Fan
2/4/16, 9:14 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I thought they already allowed 15yr olds as long as their 16th BD was before the halfway point of the season

1 member likes this post: DirtHawk92
2/4/16, 9:25 PM   #4
ThePurple73

Is there an upper age limit?

2/5/16, 8:16 AM   #5
ossuks

I do not see an issue here...what could go wrong?

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, ronmil, team3521, Tony74, TQ29m
2/5/16, 12:42 PM   #6
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

The first sprint race I saw included Thomson, Hinnershitz, and others of that ilk. They were running cars that had no roll bars, never mind cages. Although I was a typical cocky teenager, I knew I could never do what they were doing. I had neither the nerve nor the strength to wrestle those machines. The fear that something bad could happen at any moment was part of the experience of watching sprint cars in the 50s. There was a reason that many of the top drivers were guys who had just survived the horrors of WWII.

Now, that feeling is mostly gone. As I watch teenagers swaddled in metal/plastic/carbon fiber cocoons, I "know" that I could have done that. Of course, there is still a lot of skill involved, but the sheer bravado is gone. It's not the same, and I can understand why the sport is having trouble attracting a new audience.
Last edited by Dick Monahan; 2/5/16 at 12:43 PM.

2/5/16, 3:29 PM   #7
v8j

Do not care who you are at 15 you do not have the experience or maturity. To race a Sprint Car.

4 members like this post: dshort36, Racer1039, ronmil, UPSIDEDOWN
2/5/16, 3:45 PM   #8
Mattmac05

15, I believe is too young to fully understand what the possible consequences are of a making mistakes that many young drivers make. Yet I do believe that there are 15 year Olds who have been racing for 5+years already that are more ready than many middle aged men who have an idea that since they are an adult and have driven street cars for 20+ years (no racing experience) that they can safely drive a sprint car. Because many of them cannot.

4 members like this post: Onthcushin5, Racer1039, ronmil, tirespinner
2/5/16, 4:07 PM   #9
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
The first sprint race I saw included Thomson, Hinnershitz, and others of that ilk. They were running cars that had no roll bars, never mind cages. Although I was a typical cocky teenager, I knew I could never do what they were doing. I had neither the nerve nor the strength to wrestle those machines. The fear that something bad could happen at any moment was part of the experience of watching sprint cars in the 50s. There was a reason that many of the top drivers were guys who had just survived the horrors of WWII.

Now, that feeling is mostly gone. As I watch teenagers swaddled in metal/plastic/carbon fiber cocoons, I "know" that I could have done that. Of course, there is still a lot of skill involved, but the sheer bravado is gone. It's not the same, and I can understand why the sport is having trouble attracting a new audience.
I may get bad feedback, but I whole-heartedly disagree with this response. I just can't sympathize with the "less chance of seeing someone seriously injured, then I don't want to go" mentality. I go to these races to watch good racing, not be astounded by the drivers exhibiting bravery by wheeling death machines. At least you said skill is still a big requirement seeing as people that young aren't just hopping in cars and winning every race.

Sorry, but your "golden" days of drivers routinely being badly injured and killed are gone.

I still believe most of us greatly enjoy watching these "too safe" cars race today.

2/5/16, 4:15 PM   #10
copper14

I don't know what the too old age is.maybe check with al Thomas.i believe he is over 80 and son steve says he is still go, blow, or make a hole in the fence.long live the old guys and never sit on the porch. cg

3 members like this post: Leohr46, monkeyboy, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete