IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill
6/24/09, 9:37 AM   #111
Re: The Rumor Mill
DonMoore10

If you read some of the posts on here from key people that have walked the walk, you'd figure out that you're wasting your precious time posting on this topic.

6/24/09, 10:11 AM   #112
Tony Barhorst

Here are the new ideas that Kevin Miller has had so far:

Improve the website..Streaming....( But how does this help the front gate?)

Start collecting fees from the .25's

Force a good man out...Greg Staab...

Install a couple guys who couldn't sell asphalt racing in the past.

Start promoting their own races...It looks like they are promoting the rained out Midget Week date..because they have been getting GREAT raindates....I wasn't even offered a date to postpone my UCS race to.. Since USAC has the Midget Week date I had...maybe they didn't mind seeing the top 4 teams decide to pack up and leave on me.

THEN THEY MOVE IT TO A TRACK...WHERE THE LAST TIME THERE...LEVI JONES LEFT THE BALLPARK!

If you are a promoter..remember...USAC is now promoting their own races..that may conflict with you.

6/24/09, 10:38 AM   #113
wolmidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post

I have had Bob East call me and tell me if I did not run a certain USAC regional HOOSIER Tire...."Well these young drivers are not going to run with you." Who in the hell does this guy think he is?
Same thing happened to us at Wolverine except Don Kenyon made the call. Hoosier runs USAC , it's not the other way around. They determine who you can run with and who runs with you. Dan

6/24/09, 11:27 AM   #114
Joe Kidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
I disagree with wings completely.
That's what got USAC in some of the trouble they are in today.

6/24/09, 11:27 AM   #115
sprinter25

Wow, what an interesting thread. I haven't been here in a few days. and we're up to 13 pages. And it's full of a lot of interesting, cogent, and well-worded posts, as well as a few bashes.

Dan and Tony. as promoters, you have a different point of view of USAC, and that's OK by me - but you're not likely to resolve your difference with USAC by airing them here. Here's a thought - there would be no USAC if NO promoters sanctioned shows or rented their tracks to USAC. But some promoters and track owners do so and actually make a buck at it. So that says what it says.

Duke - I'd like to think that no one here disrespects your accomplishments as a driver. But until you can learn to treat other posters with some degree of courtesy, you'll continue to be seen as a bitter old man, by some. I know that I find both humor and disgust in some of your posts. And no reply is necessary, since I know that you don't care what I(or anyone else) think about you.

Spridge - Your well parsed posts are a pleasure to read, both well thought out and well worded. If others knew how passionately you loved the sport, they'd appreciate your efforts more. I'm glad that we had a chance to meet a few years back at Bloomington, and hope that you continue to do your fine work on behalf of sprint car racing.

Racerrob - Your perspective and honesty are enlightening and provide another perspective to some of the issues facong USAC an sprint car racing. Just keep putting that car on the track!

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
6/24/09, 11:59 AM   #116
wolmidget

Sprinter 25 , I just wish USAC would try to be more flexible because we could do so much more together. The problem is that they take their direction from Hoosier. I really don't have a beef with USAC per say but the idea that they can't be more inclusive and less exclusive with their rules and tires hurts us all. I just wish they had the balls do to things without getting Hoosier's OK on everything. If they look at their own car count and take off the blinders, they would see they need us as much as we need them to succeed. We could have done more with them and had much greater car counts but their not interested because Hoosier only wants races that our 100% Hoosier. That leads to races with 10-12 car fields separately instead of 20 cars together. I know when it comes to the regional series, Hoosier makes the call on all the races no matter what you may have heard. I have first hand experience dealing with these people. Is this what is best for USAC?? Maybe it is but it's not what's best for increasing our numbers. Dan

6/24/09, 12:06 PM   #117
Tony Barhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter25 View Post
Wow, what an interesting thread. I haven't been here in a few days. and we're up to 13 pages. And it's full of a lot of interesting, cogent, and well-worded posts, as well as a few bashes.

Dan and Tony. as promoters, you have a different point of view of USAC, and that's OK by me - but you're not likely to resolve your difference with USAC by airing them here. Here's a thought - there would be no USAC if NO promoters sanctioned shows or rented their tracks to USAC. But some promoters and track owners do so and actually make a buck at it. So that says what it says.

!
Hey,

I appreciate your observations..and in all due respect...these are facts that happened..Hoffman making the suggestions...Bob East the chassis builder calling to force Hoosier Tires down my throat.., Dans situation...those are not "views"...they actually happened.

I have another question...Who has their fingerprints on the TOTAL screwup of the Ford Focus Division?....This was a GREAT idea USAC....dirt and pavement midgets....dirt is where they could really spread midget racing...thus making asphalt easier to sell...

Someone TOTALLY messed up that entire concept...someone very close to the situation...by going to ALL PAVEMENT....Can you name that rocket scientist? Or group of scientists?
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 6/24/09 at 12:08 PM.

6/24/09, 12:38 PM   #118
Kirk Spridgeon

Again, you're blaming things on people who no longer work at USAC or are being directed by different people.

Even though I hate that Hoosier has such a grasp on everything, should USAC just break a binding contract that is already in place just to please you? That makes a lot of sense. I truly hope that something happens with this monopoly in the near future, but you can't just do it overnight.

Is it Bob East's fault that he had the foresight to build a pavement-only car that has become the standard for all of pavement racing? From what I can see, nobody put the effort into it that he did. Now, he basically has everyone running his cars without it being mandated. Pretty amazing...
I'd love to see another viable option come up, but it's just not happening. And any different type of car is basically described to me as "a Beast with a different hood."

Seadog - that was not me. I think the young drivers in USAC are great, but the guys you need to talk about the most are the Coons, Darland, Hines, Gardner, Kuhn, etc. The younger group will change from year to year, but that is what makes them so well-liked by younger kids. It is cool to see kids like Whitt, Boat, etc. and when/if they ever leave for something else, there will be a new group to replace them.

As much as Tony Barhorst has some good ideas and views on the situation (along with some that aren't so great), I have seen him in the heat of the moment lose his head and I can see that same problem cropping up with each post he makes. It would be so nice if he could calmly address the situation without calling anybody out, or throwing anyone under the bus, or basically shedding tears over how badly everyone has wronged him...

6/24/09, 12:41 PM   #119
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
I have another question...Who has their fingerprints on the TOTAL screwup of the Ford Focus Division?

Oops , I can answer this one !!!!!!!!!!!!

ERIC BUNN

6/24/09, 12:55 PM   #120
Tony Barhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
Again, you're blaming things on people who no longer work at USAC or are being directed by different people.

As much as Tony Barhorst has some good ideas and views on the situation (along with some that aren't so great), I have seen him in the heat of the moment lose his head and I can see that same problem cropping up with each post he makes. It would be so nice if he could calmly address the situation without calling anybody out, or throwing anyone under the bus, or basically shedding tears over how badly everyone has wronged him...
Spridge,

I am very cool headed in my air conditioning today...and again..I am pointing out facts...not made up stuff here.

Now here is an opinion...I do NOT think that a chassis builder..(who is a competitor)...should be a MAJOR influence on decisions by the sanctioning body...I think this guy has been involved in a lot of bad influence..Now THAT is an OPINION.

In regard to "losing my head" that day..well...I was not called by the current leaders..and offered any advice on makeup dates for UPSET FANS...any professional entertainment company would have at least had the main guys call with help....Now they have my Thursday Midget Week date...AT A TRACK THAT LEVI JONES LEFT THE BALLPARK THE VERY LAST TIME THERE?...What is safer there NOW? IRONIC!!!

Bob East and Eric Bunn...they were a duo at USAC on many matters...

Lets see how many cars are at Richmond...Where are the ideas?...Too busy collecting money from .25's
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 6/24/09 at 12:58 PM.

1 member likes this post: thebus79h
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill