IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Leary dq’d from gas city win; suspended by usac
10/17/20, 11:00 AM   #1
Usac: Leary dq’d from gas city win; suspended by usac
admin

10/17/20 10:47 AM LEARY DQ’D FROM GAS CITY WIN; SUSPENDED BY USAC

http://usacracing.com/news/sprint-ca...pended-by-usac

LEARY DQ’D FROM GAS CITY WIN; SUSPENDED BY USAC

Driver C.J. Leary and entrant Leary Racing have been suspended and fined by the United States Auto Club for a violation of series regulations, section 309 (tires), during USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Car competition on September 25 at Gas City I-69 Speedway.

Leary, who was initially credited with the victory, has been disqualified from the event.* Justin Grant, who initially finished in the runner-up position that night, has now been credited with the feature victory.

The test, verified by laboratory findings, revealed that Leary’s tire had been altered, and thus, was not in accordance with the series rulebook nor did it conform to the benchmark provided by Hoosier Tire Company.

309 (Tires) C. Any solvents or chemicals applied to the tire that alter the chemical makeup of the compound or have the effect of altering tire durometer or construction is prohibited. A tire can be confiscated at any time. Penalties from tire found to deviate from the original factory benchmark specifications are as follows:

Leary has forfeited points and purse winnings earned from the event, has been fined $2,500 by USAC and has been suspended for 6 races from USAC competition.

These fines and penalties are imposed immediately.* Super license driver C.J. Leary’s first eligible race in USAC competition will be Saturday, November 21.* Entrant Leary Racing’s USAC eligibility resumes with the seventh National Sprint Car event of the 2021 season.

Winnings and points will be adjusted accordingly to reflect the change in the final results of the James Dean Classic/Indiana Donor Network Driven2SaveLives Double Double at Gas City.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/17/20, 11:22 AM   #2
Re: Usac: Leary dq’d from gas city win; suspended by usac
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 22

Ironic how he complained at TSS a year ago that basically the MSCS guys were getting away with stuff like this when USAC guys came to town to run with the MSCS. How’s the tire feel on the other rim there fella?

10/17/20, 12:04 PM   #3
billw

Usac needs to keep suspensions in series. Was Leary even gonna run the 5 midget races hes suspended from?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, spicoli
10/17/20, 12:13 PM   #4
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw View Post
Usac needs to keep suspensions in series. Was Leary even gonna run the 5 midget races hes suspended from?
I think they do. The PR says he isn't eligible until the 7th race of the 2021 sprint car season.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

3 members like this post: jim goerge, K9Racer, opnwhlmnd
10/17/20, 12:25 PM   #5
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Odd that these announcements & suspensions coming during a shortened season & at the end.
My guess is another one will going ASCOC next year.JMO

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

10/17/20, 12:28 PM   #6
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 22

As a hired driver he’s eligible to run the next to last midget race. This would suspend him from 1 silver crown race and 5 midget races. Now the team car can’t return until the 7th sprint car race next year if I’m reading this right because the Sprints are done for the year.

3 members like this post: billw, interpreter66, jim goerge
10/17/20, 12:36 PM   #7
flagboy55

I don’t agree with suspensions, or at least on a first offense. Forfeiting money and points with a fine is plenty for a first offense. I applaud USAC for testing and applying rules without bias but that’s a harsh penalty

10/17/20, 12:40 PM   #8
chrismattlin

Reread the press release, Jerry. CJ himself is eligible to return on Nov. 21, while the Leary Racing sprint car entry isn't eligible to return until the 7th race of the '21 season.

It's a bit silly really. Leary Racing could simply rename their team, renumber their car, and legally enter Winter Dirt Games in February.

Suspensions at this level of racing are a lose-lose situation. There are no plusses. Bad for the sanction, bad for the promoter, and bad for the paying fans. It was that way for Robert Ballou and this seems like a similar circumstance. In my opinion, the best course of action would be either a larger financial penalty, grid penalties at future events, or a combination of both. USAC should really consider a new course of action over the winter. Like I said, other than CJ sitting out the midget events for the next month, there really is no sporting penalty.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
10/17/20, 1:13 PM   #9
badcoupe

I think the suspensions are proper give them pause to consider doing it in the future driver and team. Being it’s own car it fits. If he were driving for someone else maybe not the driver suspension. Just a team/owner penalty, some of the hired guys may not have much/any control over what the team does through the week. But when it’s your team there’s not any excuse. My son drives a car I prepare he helps in all aspects I wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize his standing within the community. However a owner who hires a driver may be more apt to “push” things.

4 members like this post: Crankin, interpreter66, spicoli, TNRustler
10/17/20, 1:32 PM   #10
sp6967

2nd place on race day is first place next month. so usac checked everyone's tire and cj had the only questionable tire. or cj, as the winner had only his tire checked. the only way to make sure you have a true winner would be to check everyone's tire.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Leary dq’d from gas city win; suspended by usac