IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Byrne becomes 100th different silver crown winner in l
7/24/14, 11:20 PM   #1
Usac: Byrne becomes 100th different silver crown winner in l
admin

7/24/14 11:13 PM BYRNE BECOMES 100TH DIFFERENT SILVER CROWN WINNER IN LAST-LAP "BYRIDER/VOGLER" THRILLER!

http://usacracing.com/news/silver-cr...own-july242014

Brownsburg, Indiana…….David Byrne etched his name in the books as the 100th different winner in USAC Silver Crown Series history on Thursday night in the “J.D. Byrider 100 Rich Vogler Classic” at Lucas Oil Raceway, and he did it in spectacular fashion. The Shullsburg, Wisconsin driver made a dive to the inside of race-long leader Tanner Swanson in the final set of corners and came out on top by .184-seconds at the line in the Truck Country Shullsburg – Bytec, Inc. #40 Beast/Chevy.

“It means so much that I can’t even put it into words. This is the best moment of my racing career, by far. There’s so much history in this series, so many teams out here doing it for so long, and so many big teams who make it tough to win these races. It’s the coolest feeling ever to join them as winners,” Byrne said.

Tanner Swanson, the May winner at LOR, took the pole for the 100-lapper and again looked like the one to beat, opening up an advantage before a red flag came out after a turn-one fracas on lap six led to extensive clean-up.

Tanner led his teammate Ryan Newman after that, as Tanner’s brother Kody slid from third to fifth as he, Bobby Santos and Byrne battled inside the top-five. Another yellow on lap 17 involved Tracy Hines and Jarett Andretti, and that led to a long green-flag run through the race’s middle stages.

As T. Swanson ran off to a huge lead, Newman held down second and the trio continued to race behind him for third through fifth. Byrne and K. Swanson cleared Santos at the halfway mark, and they continued to fight as they worked through traffic. Swanson finally pinned Byrne behind a slower car to take third with 25 to go.

The top fours were all turning about the same lap times under green with 20 to go, but the biggest shake-up came on lap 82 as Caleb Armstrong stopped in turn-two, erasing T. Swanson’s huge lead.

On the restart, Byrne was the man on the move, as he went from fourth to second in two laps and started to reel in T. Swanson. Kody Swanson finally cleared Newman for third was making gains on the top-two, but time was running out.

Byrne finally got enough of a run down the backstretch on lap 99 to look to Tanner’s inside, but he couldn’t make it stick. Tanner moved a bit lower through turns one and two on the final lap, and Byrne came down the backstretch with a full head of steam and a big run into turn-three. He charged under Tanner and cleared him into turn-four, coming to the checkers with the crowd on their feet.

“I didn’t know what we had for the 11 at the end, but I thought we were better than the two in front of us on that last restart. After I got to second, he was struggling to drive off the corner, and then he’d pull me a couple times and I didn’t think I had enough. I dive-bombed him the lap before and he bobbled a little, just not having much drive. I knew we had a great shot at him going into three on the last lap, though, and I had to go for it,” Byrne continued.

Tanner Swanson just missed his third win at LOR in the last two seasons, finishing in the runner-up spot aboard the Bowman Racing – Banjo Corporation #11 Beast/Chevy.

“Sometimes, you just have the bad luck of catching a yellow with a few laps to go while you have a big lead. We just weren’t quite good enough at the end,” Tanner said.

His brother Kody rounded out the podium, increasing his point lead to 39 markers in the DePalma Motorsports – Radio Hospital #63 Beast/Hampshire.

“When your team works as hard as mine does, you want to win every race. We just came up a little bit short tonight. David ran a great race, though, and it’s good to see him get his first one,” Kody said.

Newman wound up fourth in the Bowman Racing – Banjo Corporation #2 Beast/Chevy, and Santos rounded out the top-five in the Fred Gormly – RPM Auto Enterprise #98 Beast/Mopar.

USAC SILVER CROWN SERIES RACE RESULTS: July 24, 2014 – Brownsburg, Indiana – Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis – “J.D. Byrider 100 Rich Vogler Classic”

QUALIFYING: 1. Tanner Swanson, 11, Bowman-21.088; 2. Ryan Newman, 2, Bowman-21.142; 3. Bobby Santos, 98, RPM/Gormly-21.161; 4. David Byrne, 40, Byrne-21.165; 5. Kody Swanson, 63, DePalma-21.188; 6. Tracy Hines, 16, Lightfoot-21.214; 7. Jerry Coons Jr., 20, Nolen-21.396; 8. Chris Windom, 17, RW/Curb-Agajanian-21.399; 9. Jacob Wilson, 07, Wilson-21.453; 10. Bobby East, 10, Stewart/Curb-Agajanian-21.470; 11. Caleb Armstrong, 9, Armstrong-21.504; 12. Ken Schrader, 10k, Stewart/Curb-Agajanian-21.540; 13. Kyle O’Gara, 27, RW-21.587; 14. Jarett Andretti, 4, Andretti-21.592; 15. C.J. Leary, 35, Ferns-21.785; 16. Cale Thomas, 92, Thomas-21.789; 17. Ryan Litt, 21, Team Six-R-22.021; 18. Davey Hamilton Jr., 60, Hamilton-22.083; 19. John Heydenreich, 90, Bank-22.096; 20. Chris Phillips, 99, RPM/Gormly-22.163; 21. A.J. Fike, 3, RFMS-22.186; 22. Davey Ray, 125, Sachs-22.480; 23. Jarid Blondel, 981, Blondel-23.769; 24. Patrick Lawson, 102, Lawson-24.054; 25. John Hunt, 81, Williams-NT.

FEATURE: (100 laps) 1. David Byrne, 2. Tanner Swanson, 3. Kody Swanson, 4. Ryan Newman, 5. Bobby Santos, 6. Chris Windom, 7. Jacob Wilson, 8. Bobby East, 9. Jarett Andretti, 10. Ken Schrader, 11. Davey Hamilton Jr., 12. Chris Phillips, 13. Jerry Coons Jr., 14. Davey Ray, 15. Patrick Lawson, 16. Kyle O’Gara, 17. Caleb Armstrong, 18. Cale Thomas, 19. Tracy Hines, 20. C.J. Leary, 21. Ryan Litt, 22. John Heydenreich, 23. A.J. Fike, 24. Jarid Blondel. NT
--------------------------------------------
FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-99 T.Swanson, Lap 100 Byrne.

NEW SILVER CROWN SERIES POINT STANDINGS: 1-K.Swanson-282, 2-Hines-243, 3-East-240, 4-Windom-204, 5-T.Swanson-165, 6-Santos-159, 7-Wilson-156, 8-Byrne-147, 9-Andretti-139, 10-Coons-132.

NEXT SILVER CROWN RACE: August 1 – Belleville (KS) High Banks – “Hustle on the High Banks”

7/25/14, 7:05 AM   #2
Re: Usac: Byrne becomes 100th different silver crown winner
richie

Great race in front of a very decent crowd! Glad to see the car count going up on the pavement as well.

Congrats to David Byrne! His run from 4th to 1st in the late stages of the race was thrilling to watch. I thought nobody would have anything to battle Tanner for the lead, even after the late restart. Can't remember as exciting of a finish to a Silver Crown race at IRP since the Irwin/Bliss finish in 1996. Good stuff!

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, FishBurger, interpreter66, Seadog, team3521
7/25/14, 8:30 AM   #3
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Very happy to see 25 cars for this event. Were is Thursday Night Thunder when you need it?

2 members like this post: fish, FishBurger
7/25/14, 8:49 AM   #4
Dez1013

Byrne was awesome on that final restart. Hell of a show.

1 member likes this post: fish
7/25/14, 10:03 AM   #5
IN RACE FAN

My eight year old daughter and I had a great time. Can't wait to take her to Springfield in a few weeks!

2 members like this post: fish, Task Force
7/25/14, 11:22 AM   #6
retired14

Was great to see a good pavement race again. Andy and everyone else responsible deserves a big pat on the back for making it happen. Good weather, good crowd, and one heckuva finish to top it all off. Something about the sound of those deep throated 355's running down the stretch of an asphalt track kinda gets your heart to going. Only thing about it is my ears are still throbbing. Not from the cars, though. Does Pat Sullivan get paid by the word? Geez.

3 members like this post: fish, FishBurger, RacinFool
7/25/14, 1:54 PM   #7
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Glad I made the drive from Evansville! Good field of cars and an exciting finish. One thing I miss at LORP is the vendor trucks that sold Italian and Polish sausages, donuts and ice cream. I know it has been a few years since they were around. Does anybody know just when they disappeared? Was it when NHRA took over?
LORP is always a great place to people watch. Saw Doug Wolfgang, and Al Unser Sr. was sitting about eight rows above me to my right.

1 member likes this post: FishBurger
7/25/14, 3:26 PM   #8
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

I was unable to attend this race, but not one negative word has come from it. 25 cars and a great finish. That is just what we need.

There always are the guys that say that these cars are done. Stick a fork in em. I strongly disagree. The passion for these cars is unfathomable. Andy has done a great job so far and after speaking to him earlier today, things are only going to get better. All i know is i am ready for some big cars on the miles! Keep supporting this series and big things will come.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Midwest Connection, PJ Wright, Task Force
7/25/14, 11:12 PM   #9
Longtime sprinter

The Silver Crown cars at Lucas Raceway were phenomenal. There is just a special sound and feel from these big ole bad boys. Racing was good, finish was great, and with the nice weather and good crowd, am really glad I went. Can't wait for the Four Crown to see them on dirt. Makes me wonder why they don't have more races so more teams build crown cars.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Byrne becomes 100th different silver crown winner in l