IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Observations from an old fan
7/22/14, 11:21 AM   #11
Re: Observations from an old fan
4th turn fan

As for Indiana Sprint WEEK....Wish it was sprint MONTH,,,,but this ol' man wouldn't be able to hold out.

3 members like this post: billwill7, jim goerge, mc/rider
7/22/14, 2:20 PM   #12
Flatrightrear

I would think USAC would be in charge of driver interviews as they ran the sprint car part of the show and had their own announcer as well. Tri-State has a habit of interviewing the top three finishers at all their shows and I like that. I also always see TV ads for all Tri-State shows and a couple of friends heard ads on the radio for the Sprintweek show as well so the Helfrich's do promote their track. They used to do tug-o-wars once a year for fun and it was always a kick to watch. Speedway Man has had a lower profile this year but he recently mishandled some kryptonite so that may explain his abscence. I see quite a few young people at the track myself but an informal poll done by the announcer one night would be interesting. Have the 20-30 year olds stand, then the 30-40 and on up the ladder. If half the crowd never stands because they can't then you know there's a problem. HA HA I thought the crowds and car counts were outstanding especially when you consider the state of the economy and the lack of leadership in righting the ship. It shows just how passionate the fans are for the most exciting sort of motorsports there is -- Sprints on Dirt!!!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/22/14, 2:52 PM   #13
jim goerge

Tom I believe that Kryptonite was Mrs. Speedway man

1 member likes this post: Obie
7/22/14, 4:38 PM   #14
DAD

The dunk tank was a real good idea. It brought excitement to some of the down time cooled off the drivers and was an outlet for the fans. Promoters have to promote and the gang back in the pits need to help them promote their antics.

The best promotion besides the guy that jumps in the box with the stick of dynamite that I can remember as a kid was the promoter at the Sports-Drome down in Jeffersonville In. managed to find a guy with a heard of Camels. He decided to drag race them with the most popular drivers on board as Jockeys. It brought out a great crowd with the grandstands filled on both sides of the race track.

However it did backfire on him just a tad bit, Andy Hampton one of his big name drivers at the time fell off one of them dumb things during his race and broke his arm putting him out of commission for several weeks.

We need to do whatever it takes to make the show more enjoyable for the fans. It may take having the drivers leave the pits for a bit to help the promoter out. Way back in the day the purse was a percentage of the gate and the more people they could get through the turn stiles the more money the racers made. I am going to make a personal search for that Camel Rancher if any Promoters are interested, I figure him to be about a hundred and ten by now.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: racegal
7/22/14, 6:07 PM   #15
jwl

I don't say to much on here but Mr Steve brought up some good points about the younger people getting them to the race track .
I kinda of worried about future of our sport I seen some folks on here knock on promoters about kids bicycle race ,fire works etc I don't mind them because them kids are our future fans . I my self was one of them kids in the bike race in the 70's forty years still a fan.
Also like to see the drivers meet the fans a little more i was so impressed to meet Dave Darling it was like he wanted to meet me .
I also met some race fans from Wisconsin during ISW week they explained there race track situation up north .he said you Hoosier don't realize how lucky you all are to have so many tracks to go too. I walked away not minding chewing on the dust from terre haute. We all should try to take care of our sport .

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
7/22/14, 6:24 PM   #16
Hamby812

It is sad to see fewer younger people at the races each year. I for one don't think it's so much ticket price as it is technology. Kids hardly leave the house anymore, playing video games and watching tv are hobbies for kids now, it's sad because they aren't true hobbies but it's true. Fortunately for me I grew up at a race track, was even blessed enough to race for several years. It's in my blood and I'll be at any track within 3 hours of me barring I'm off work and have no other commitments. My girlfriend and I brought her niece(8) and nephew(10). They had a blast, and at TSS kids 10 and under were free so the cost us nothing to get them through the gate. They are already talking about going again. I feel the issue isn't the kids but adults not trying to step up and bring kids to the track. Her niece and nephew's parents would have never brought them to the track so her and I did. They got pictures autographs, souvenirs, and memories. They will return. The sport will only grow as we allow it to, by showing up to complain about dust, or tractors, or bleachers isn't moving open wheel racing in the right direction. Take you grand kids, or nieces and nephews to a race a few times a year. They'll grow to love it like we do or they will rot away in front of a computer or tv. This is not to be taken negatively just my 2 cents. Our sport will grow as our fans grow, period.

6 members like this post: 2fast4u, Charles Nungester, Daboy, DaveP63, jim goerge, racenut69
7/22/14, 6:47 PM   #17
Nate

I think the fact the crowd is of an older breed is a good point that was brought up. Now being in my 20s I don't see a ton of 20something people in the stands. I have a few friends that will come with me once in awhile but a lot just aren't interested in the idea of, "going to their first dirt race" when I ask them. Most of the time I'm at the track with my dad, whom is the reason I love being at the track in the first place.

Another thing I see a lot of is instead of going to watch the races a lot of the younger crowd just see it as an excuse to drink WAY too much alcohol to the point they have no clue what's even going on as far as on the track. Eldora Speedway being the worst for this kind of behavior especially at the big ticket shows (Dream, Kings Royal, World 100).

Trying to get younger fans involved is certainly something we as fans, drivers, owners, promoters, etc...should all be mindful of because like or not all of this is a business and everything comes down to $. If there's no cash flow the sport as we know it will vanish. That being said I wish I had an answer to the problem but I dont.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, racenut69
7/22/14, 6:53 PM   #18
Kinser11

One of my favorite family pictures is my brother in I standing next to Al Unser's Sprint car on a open trailer at the Indy Mile. I wish more people took the time to go to the pits after the races. When your 10yo getting to touch a race car, is a very big deal. Everyone is in too big of a hurry, to get somewhere today. When the drivers started getting merchandising trailers, it killed the after race meet the drivers. The Outlaws are the worst, by the time the fans can get to the pits their gone. Some may disagree with me, but it will kill ever getting new fans & Kids interested.

7/22/14, 11:02 PM   #19
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

I caught the last night of isw . Loved the track but saw something that bothered me a little . A 10 yr old kid booed a driver with his mom n dad . We need to make gd fans as much as new fans . Knoxville has a new promotion " kids free night " I believe 18 n under free . I was at the first one and it was great to see all the kids there . They r having another one this Saturday and I'll b there , hope they have another great turnout of the future fans ! Should b a great show too !!! Lots of travelers tuning up for the 360 and 310 nationals .

7/22/14, 11:12 PM   #20
TheGhostOfOpperman
Banned

People 30 and under and people with kids don't want to come watch an hour long tractor show two times a night, they want to get there, see a show and then leave. If you can't prep a track for the night, you can kiss those fans goodbye,

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Observations from an old fan