IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
bni69 (Offline)
  #1 8/10/14 1:33 PM
Just received word that the track will not race anymore this season. If I receive any word of anything happening for next year or the future, I will post it. Thanks to everyone who has supported us.

Barb
10 Likes: BrentTFunk, cwfan08, dickster, dirtnonwingfan, Eatin Dirt, fish, I Miss Manzy, LUCKYONE, Pitpass, speed bump
Checker'd Past (Offline)
  #2 8/10/14 1:44 PM
What a shame! Always enjoyed this place. Hopefully something good will happen next racing season!
9 Likes: AustinSprinter, BrentTFunk, cwfan08, Danny Burton, dickster, fish, LUCKYONE, oldfan49, speed bump
ronmil (Offline)
  #3 8/10/14 2:03 PM
Gas City is too far for me to support on a regular basis, but I hope someone reopens it for the fans in the area. As someone mentioned, it would be nice if the O'Connors took it over.

Ron Miller
4 Likes: jim goerge, LUCKYONE, speed bump, stanfan
PJ Wright (Offline)
  #4 8/10/14 2:54 PM
Originally Posted by bni69:
Just received word that the track will not race anymore this season. If I receive any word of anything happening for next year or the future, I will post it. Thanks to everyone who has supported us.

Barb
Thank YOU Barb. No matter if it was Jiggs or Mel or whoever was running the track, you always stayed up late and posted the results on the website. Thank you for being faithful to the task.

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.
28 Likes: addictedtodirt, AustinSprinter, BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, cwfan08, Danny Burton, Dblchkrs, dickster, dirtnonwingfan, fish, gas city gal, i love dirt track racing, I Miss Manzy, JCC, Jerry Shaw, Koonzee, LUCKYONE, mtek56, oldfan49, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART, racefan20, rapid robert, ronmil, smith19, Will Shunk, WinglessFAN, worm
IBRACN (Offline)
  #5 8/11/14 5:21 PM
For someone a long ways away from Gas City, is this due to low car counts, low fan attendance, or a combination of things? Just curious as several tracks have closed down this summer.
Eatin Dirt (Offline)
  #6 8/11/14 9:14 PM
I hate to see this happen to one of my favorite tracks, we only get to about 2/3 races a year there just because of the distance. Will keep my fingers crossed that we see some racing there again next season.
FEATHERDUSTER (Offline)
  #7 8/12/14 12:09 PM
This is a shame because it has all the ingredients to be a great race track starting with it's name.
Maybe someone will step up to the plate and turn things around.
Danny Williams Sr. (Offline)
  #8 8/12/14 1:32 PM
My sources tell me that Jack Hiemlick wants to let things settle for awhile before he starts negotiations with anyone in regard to selling or leasing the track. Has sour taste from what has happened this year.

This is not the place to go into details, but there is plenty of interest from multiple groups to get Gas City back in action for 2015.

That tells me that everyone should be patient and let things work themselves out.
20 Likes: addictedtodirt, cwfan08, davidm, EKracing, fish, Gregg, i love dirt track racing, I Miss Manzy, JCC, mc/rider, Nate, nedra_bahler_835@com, PIT CART, PJ Wright, racing2bwithu2, ronmil, spicoli, tigerone, Will Shunk, worm
bni69 (Offline)
  #9 8/14/14 7:49 PM
Just wanted to post that in the local newspaper, owner Jack Himelick indicates the plan is for Gas City I-69 Speedway to be open for business for the 2015 season.
19 Likes: AJFrancis21, Charles Nungester, cwfan08, EKracing, Gregg, i love dirt track racing, kawkaw2, Koonzee, mc/rider, Nate, oldfan49, PIT CART, PJ Wright, Scooter, spicoli, thebus79h, Tom23, Tony74, WBR 3E