IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where did I see it?
7/15/19, 10:10 AM   #1
Where did I see it?
flagboy55

I obviously wasn’t paying close enough attention but I swear I saw a race recently where there pit passes available for kids for like 10 bucks. I want to say it was Joliet but can’t remember for sure. As I’ve said in past threads, I’ve got a couple kids ready to take to the track for the first time. When people talk about getting another generation involved, I think this is a great idea. If you’re taking youngsters it would make more sense to arrive early and walk them around then staying late. As it stands now if you want to do something like this it’s a $70 or $80 investment. With the kids discount to me it becomes a no brainer. Now a track is selling another pit pass to an adult that may not normally buy one and a kids pass too. Just seems like a good idea to get the kids closer to the racing. What do you think?

7/15/19, 10:26 AM   #2
kcarm92

Possibly the Paragon post ?

7/15/19, 11:03 AM   #3
Hustlin-Hoosier

Race Count Last Year: 22

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...990&styleid=17
Looks like Pit Passes are $30 kids under 10 are Free

7/15/19, 11:15 AM   #4
Scooter

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: 50+

This could be dangerous is my first thought.
General admission and take them in the pits later.
Last edited by Scooter; 7/15/19 at 11:16 AM.

5 members like this post: Bill Angel, Jonr, luckybuc97, RadRacer, TNRustler
7/15/19, 1:51 PM   #5
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I like the way Gas City used To do it, Buy a 50/50 ticket go in the pits early till they ran people out before heat in the motors.

7/15/19, 4:04 PM   #6
Non wing lover

They still do

7/15/19, 5:51 PM   #7
Re: Where did I see it?
hoscalecody

Personally I'm a little torn on kids being in the pits. Especially if there are sprint cars. I understand you want to grow the sport, but I think if you are bringing a kid bring them in the pits before or after the races and not during. I've seen way to many out of control kids. Some with race teams, some without race teams. Being honest the ones that are out of control are probably do to bad parenting. How about this, if you bring kids, they are your number one priority. If an official sees you and you're kid is running wild and being out of control the kid and legal guardian is kicked out of the pits.

There was one time I was driving up to staging for a heat race. Out of no where, a i'm going to guess 5-7 year old, kid comes running out from in between 2 modifieds. I barely stop in time from slamming into the kid. Luckily I was in a mini sprint with good brakes and a clutch. Then the dad, the driver comes out screaming and yelling calling me every name in the book for almost hitting his kid. Luckily I'm nice or I would've went to the sheriff or the track officials and got the jerk kicked out. If the kid came from the right or was at night I easily would've hit them. This was 5 years ago and was some out of town modified team. I've seen a lot of that happen though.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 7/15/19 at 5:56 PM.

7/15/19, 8:00 PM   #8
Re: Where did I see it?
openwheelfan1

The last few years the WoO organization (yeah, I know, forbidden words here) has permitted fans in to the pits (for free, with a reserved seat ticket after signing a waiver) at the season opening races at Volusia Speedway in Florida. These "guests" must leave the pits before the heat races begin, but are there for motor heat, hot laps and qualifying. It is CROWDED in the pits, but the crews and drivers seem to tolerate it and the fans just eat it up, especially when the drivers come in from motor heat and whack the throttle a few times. Thankfully, there has never been an incident between car and crowd that I am aware of, but I know there have been couple close calls with wandering children/distracted parents and 4 wheelers and race cars. I don't know if this "extra" is contributing to it, but the last two years the WoO races have been sellouts or near sellouts all three nights.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where did I see it?