IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cornbelt nationals Question
6/26/19, 11:19 PM   #21
Re: Cornbelt nationals Question
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
It is a bit disappointing to see that CRA booked against this. Back in the day the best California guys came out to run the Nationals and I'm guessing CRA/ Ascot didn't book against it. Maybe the owners told USAC they weren't coming out either way so why not have a race at home. It's also disappointing to see that they are running their weekly winged 410's with this too. They should offer them points to run in the non-wing program. That would add a few more cars. It seems like Knoxville was almost all in on this but not quite. I'm not sure that's good enough but it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully they have sense enough to prep the track with non-wing racing in mind. What I saw there last Saturday isn't going to cut it. Hard slick in hot laps will not showcase what non-wing cars can do and only make them look slow compared to wing cars. But, I'm sure there are forces there that will want just that so the local program doesn't get upstaged. We'll see. Definitely excited for this rare opportunity to see the non-wing cars at the Mecca of sprint car racing! Putnamville will have them the next week and the week after that and the week after that.......
Ummm I hate to break it to you but CRA is a USAC series so in essence they are running against themselves. Thats not to say that any of them would have come anyway with the exception of Roa who will be coming west for sprintweek. To get them to come would require them to be running for points like they were when they used to have a midwest tour but that was maybe 10-12 cars anyway.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

2 members like this post: erich45, tirespinner
6/26/19, 11:45 PM   #22
Non wing lover

Wish we wete going but we are getting closer hoping sprint week at gas will be our return see what doc tells me

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, PIT CART, tirespinner
6/27/19, 12:42 AM   #23
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
Does anyone know how they are going to award qualifying points (the ones that go towards determining Saturday’s A, B, C & D Mains) if they split the field into qualifying flights? Will they award the points based on the actual times? Or will they “zipper” the flights & award by position in the flights?
Check out the Post about "6 more entries"
Looks pretty similar to Knoxville winged Nationals format... you have to qualify well

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
6/27/19, 5:59 AM   #24
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
In asking this question, are you saying that if you don’t like the purse you will sit at home??? I understand that if medical issues don’t allow you to travel you are on plan B, but I just want to understand the question from someone who has said on his board that people need to show up regardless of weather or day of the week or whatever else is an excuse. If you are just asking a question and sort of whining about the ticket price then oh well. Just seems funny you would put out a statement like that knowing you say go to the races no matter what.
Haven't made up my mind yet, but not sure why the purse is such a secret, if this is a big event. I was just asking a question. Yes I do stay home from multiple class special shows. Don't mind them on weekly shows, but my time is tight in the summer.

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, duel, opnwhlmnd, oppweld, tirespinner
6/27/19, 11:20 AM   #25
cshuman

Just to clarify some stuff on here, this is a Knoxville event, they asked for help and cooperation from POWRi/WAR and Usac to make it a successful one that can maybe grown into a big annual event. That is the reason we decided to be involved, because I feel like non wing cars deserve to have a huge event in the sprint car capital. I understand that there will be other events running in different states on that same weekend and I hope they have success as well, but we as non wing fans, teams, drivers etc may only get one chance to make this type of event fly, and I hope it gets the support it needs to continue. No doubt the on track product will be awesome.

6/27/19, 12:10 PM   #26
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Non-wing sprint car racing needs it's own big event that pays $50,000 or near to win with a respectable purse; but it needs it in what I feel is the home state of non-wings, in Indiana.
Outside of Lawrenceburg, I don't know of a place that could take a real go of trying to make it work due to limited seating.

There are very few big paying non-wing events; which is why it's good to support them when someone tries to put one together. That said that doesn't mean everyone has to give up the weekend and ship off 7 hours or more away.

Maybe if Knoxville or anyone else starts and grows and event it will eventually earn World 100 type of respect where no one would dare schedule against it with a semi major series or anywhere near the track. But that takes time to earn.

1 member likes this post: spicoli
6/27/19, 12:16 PM   #27
JDK222

[QUOTE=brsteg;515772]Non-wing sprint car racing needs it's own big event that pays $50,000 or near to win with a respectable purse; but it needs it in what I feel is the home state of non-wings, in Indiana.
Outside of Lawrenceburg, I don't know of a place that could take a real go of trying to make it work due to limited seating.

There are very few big paying non-wing events; which is why it's good to support them when someone tries to put one together. That said that doesn't mean everyone has to give up the weekend and ship off 7 hours or more away.

Maybe if Knoxville or anyone else starts and grows and event it will eventually earn World 100 type of respect where no one would dare schedule against it with a semi major series or anywhere near the track. But that takes time to earn.[/QUOTE

So are you putting up the 50K?

6/27/19, 12:38 PM   #28
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
It is a bit disappointing to see that CRA booked against this. Back in the day the best California guys came out to run the Nationals and I'm guessing CRA/ Ascot didn't book against it. Maybe the owners told USAC they weren't coming out either way so why not have a race at home. It's also disappointing to see that they are running their weekly winged 410's with this too. They should offer them points to run in the non-wing program. That would add a few more cars. It seems like Knoxville was almost all in on this but not quite. I'm not sure that's good enough but it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully they have sense enough to prep the track with non-wing racing in mind. What I saw there last Saturday isn't going to cut it. Hard slick in hot laps will not showcase what non-wing cars can do and only make them look slow compared to wing cars. But, I'm sure there are forces there that will want just that so the local program doesn't get upstaged. We'll see. Definitely excited for this rare opportunity to see the non-wing cars at the Mecca of sprint car racing! Putnamville will have them the next week and the week after that and the week after that.......
I highly doubt any of the local wing guys would take their wings off to run this. RJ Johnson offered up a car but then had the other RJ Johnson pilot it correct? That's the only local car to the best of my knowledge that has taken a wing off. Track prep shouldn't be an issue at all. Knoxville has one of the best, if not the best, track prep crews in the country and their dirt is great. They had it juiced up in 17' and good in 18' as well. Knoxville wants this race to succeed, so some conspiracy about not wanting to upstage it's regular program is laughable.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
6/27/19, 12:50 PM   #29
Slider20

95% of local, self funded teams are not going to haul 7 hours to race a half mile track in which they have an undoubtedly slim chance of winning or even making the show. It's common sense for these guys to go race at Putnamville. It's that cut and dry, not sure why people can't wrap their heads around that. I don’t think you are taking away any cars from Knoxville as most of these MSCS guys weren’t even planning on going there to begin with.
Last edited by Slider20; 6/27/19 at 1:16 PM.

4 members like this post: erich45, PIT CART, Simon_says17, sprinter31
6/27/19, 2:00 PM   #30
i love dirt track racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman92 View Post
This is what makes this country great. Everyone has options and choices. We support local tracks as often as we can, but also like to go somewhere different every once in a while. So whether you go to LPS or Knoxville - and for whatever reason - have a great time, be safe, and pray for dry weather. We’re excited to see members of our racing families in Knoxville next weekend. Wherever you go, you’ll see a damn good race.
Our racing family's will be in the house for the Knoxville usac racing events . Looking forward to having a great time and enjoy the great weekend of racing events. Just go out and enjoy all the great things that we all love. God bless America. Thanks.

3 members like this post: Dirtfan, oppweld, wildman92
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cornbelt nationals Question