IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Dwight Clock (Offline)
  #1 11/1/07 6:47 PM
A press conference is scheduled for tomorrow morning at which time it is expected to be announced that Speedway Motorsports Inc. (SMI) has purchased New Hampshire International Speedway from owner Bob Bahre. There is speculation that Bruton Smith, Chairman of SMI, will shuffle NASCAR Nextel Cup dates between NHIS and Texas Motor Speedway. It is unclear what effect the sale will have on the USAC Silver Crown date at New Hampshire.
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #2 11/1/07 8:32 PM
Dwight,

Could this be the end of the New Hampshire Speedway? If Bruton does indeed purchase this, you know at least 1 date will go to Texas. If they take both of them, how could they continue to keep the gates open? I realize that they run other divisions there but I doubt that they could support the track without a NASCRAP date. JMO!
Dwight Clock (Offline)
  #3 11/1/07 8:40 PM
Originally Posted by Mud Packer:
Dwight,

Could this be the end of the New Hampshire Speedway? If Bruton does indeed purchase this, you know at least 1 date will go to Texas. If they take both of them, how could they continue to keep the gates open? I realize that they run other divisions there but I doubt that they could support the track without a NASCRAP date. JMO!
It seems that one date will remain at NHIS. Although nothing is certain it appears that Smith wants the opening race of the chase. He would most likely, if NASCAR approves, move that to Texas and take the Chase date he has now to Las Vegas. We'll just have to wait and see. Another big question is what will happen to the vintage meet now held at NHIS in May? Bahre spent plenty for insurance for that and I'm not so certain SMI will do likewise. That would be a shame as it is the biggest vintage meet around. Again, we'll have to wait and see.