IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > COMMENTS Please...
4/28/11, 8:19 PM   #21
Re: COMMENTS Please...
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Miss Manzy View Post
Doug Auld's column in the current issue of SprintCar & Midget magazine deals with this subject. As for myself,I don't care about NASCAR,except for the Modifieds.
So Joe, what about about a short track format at, what else, a short track?

Imagine a doubleheader of NASCAR modifieds at a place like New Hampshire, Martinsville, Richmond or Bristol. Granted the modifieds are faster than the "big boys" but so what?

4 heats, a B Main and a 100 lapper for each class, all on the same day. Practice and qualifying the day before.

Might take awhile, but it is a thought.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

2 members like this post: I Miss Manzy, Mud Packer
4/28/11, 11:17 PM   #22
team3521

Jack,

I could care less about NASCAR anymore. I used to when Jeff first went there out of USAC, but it has developed into a product that the average joe might like, but I don't think you will find many on this board that do anymore. Why? Because it isn't REAL racing anymore. It's cookie cutter (too many rules) boring, follow the leader trash.

I don't think that in our lifetimes, we will ever see NASCAR "back on track" especially dirt. All of us here on this board would appreciate it if they did and I for one would support that effort. I can imagine that if Bruton Smith wanted to put NASCAR back on dirt, he probably could if he wanted, but why should he? Average Joe doesn't care about dirt racing!

Bottom line is, the best racing you will ever see will not be televised or mass marketed. Let the average joes support NASCAR and we'll support the racing we like. Just my $0.02

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
4/29/11, 10:23 AM   #23
coxie bowman

That was an EXCELLENT "TWO CENTS" worth. I'm not a NASCAR fan as fans go either, but they sure have helped open wheel drivers and all that goes with them, mechanics, etc. down through the years.
I can remember (and I'm sure some of you guys can too) when a kid from around the Columbus area was sleeping in his car and, Ed Adair would let him in to race without even signing the sheet, mostly because he didn't have the price of admission. And he was (STILL ARBITRARY back then also) while going up through the ranks to become a great driver and... "MILLIONARE". That's just to name ONE guy, look at all the others before him and even after him.
Look at all the GOOD that's come out of their benevolence, once they "made it".
What I'm getting at is, if the RULES of ENGAGEMENT were modified somewhat, modified so it puts many up and coming kids that are tearing up the short tracks, on a level playing field down in NASCARLAND, then the local heros could have an affordable shot to head down there and, AT LEAST TRY. Do you think if Dave Darland had an honest shot at it, he would stay at Gas City instead of going down to try? How many of us would contribute our nickles and dimes to the, DAVE DARLAND sponsorship for a SHOT at a good ride to go down there and give it a season or two. Sponsorship for a guy like him would come pretty easy at a regional level. The same for the Indy 500 aspirents. The problem with all this is, they usually don't get a GOOD RIDE and they look like a Monkey making love to a FOOTBALL. And, it's not their falut either.
Open Wheel racing is the greatest kind of racing in the world as far as I'm concerned, but Open Wheel racing, Midgets, Sprint Cars, and the other classes, will remain in the, "HIND ***" class as long as we are not able to create more of a FAN BASE. The FAN BASE pays the bill and it can be created in many, many ways.
What the heck do you think the kid from Rushville is trying to do presently, along with the drivers that have come back to drive on the different short tracks in which they came from, there aren't a lot of them, but there are a few, and NASCAR needs to get involved in it also, because it's hurting their "BOTTOM LINE". They're starting to see the empty seats in the grandstands and that the is a BOTTOM to the MONEY BARREL. They should LISTEN to the FANS as much as they can, GOOD or BAD and weed out the good ideas toss them around and see what they can do to create, create, and CREATE MORE FANS. At least it gives them a place to start. It all starts from the top and NASCAR, as well as other sanctioning bodies, need to keep making CHANGES or MODIFICATIONS in order to help keep it all going if the future of MOTORSPORTS is to continue and grow.

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
4/29/11, 2:45 PM   #24
I Miss Manzy

[QUOTE=Danny Burton;223659]So Joe, what about about a short track format at, what else, a short track?

Danny, You and I might like it,but do you think the 35 millionaires with guaranteed starting spots would go along with it?

4/30/11, 9:08 PM   #25
Midget 89

Sorry, Jack, but I won't be happy until sprint and midget rides lead to Indianapolis, not NASCAR.

4/30/11, 9:43 PM   #26
coxie bowman

I won't be happy either, and I agree with you totally, but it has to start somewhere, with someone that has a competitive ride and not just a token ride or a ride in some guys car that needs the money.
I'll bet you would be sitting on the edge of your chair watching the TAXIE CABS if some of the rules were changed and if some of the local heros had a FIGHTING CHANCE to, WIN, PLACE or SHOW. It could happen with a few modifications.

5/1/11, 12:16 PM   #27
coxie bowman

It's probably BEST to just let this thread go by the wayside at this time, and let it become a MOOT subject. At least in my lifetime anyway.
Let's just put it in the, "DEAD ISSUE" column and enjoy the great racing forthcoming for the Summer.

5/1/11, 1:50 PM   #28
team3521

Jack,

Here is another one of my many opinions for $0.02. To get to the "next level" in motorsports, the money level, you need quite a few talents and driving skill is just one of them but I believe becoming less of a priority than the rest. You need to be a living advertisement. Spewing the sponsors names and don't you dare miss one!

First and foremost though, you need to possess A LOT of charisma. You need to be a pretty boy or girl as we've witnessed recently. Now the new in, is to be part of a diversity program. To be a minority with some talent will get you a ride before a triple crown championship will. Which is sickening! It's all money, money, money! Corporations with the sponsorship dollars is what is choosing the drivers now. All of us on this board could come up with a list that would be as long as your arm of drivers that should have been in the next level and would have been if they were born in an earlier era. Why? because they earned their chance by racing and winning at the grass roots level of America.

I hate the fact that Indy is a buy your ride deal now and you can't pronounce half the drivers names any more. Nascar is a total mess and

I would dare to say more of an "American" sport than other upper levels are now which is again, sad. I would agree with you though. We should go to our local races this summer and support "our" heros. Our heros are more approachable and more appreciative of us anyway.
So, the point I am trying to make here with this post is I don't think in our lifetimes it will ever come back to the way it used to be. Even with rule changes,venue changes or modifications. Let's hope that the corporate world doesn't start to effect the level of racing that "advanced" racing fans like us on this board enjoy. Let the average joe racing fan go support the upper levels and we'll stay local. Much better all around!

PS. I wish you were still promoting midget races in the midwest and so does everyone else in the area with a midget setting in their garage.

5/1/11, 5:18 PM   #29
Midget 89

A Sportsman midget class in Michigan to get some cars out of the garages. Pair them with the sprint cars at Spartan. They had 19 sprints Friday night.
Last edited by Midget 89; 5/2/11 at 10:21 AM.

5/1/11, 5:46 PM   #30
coxie bowman

By controlling the rules and keeping them in line with a blue collar train of thought, the millionairs or the money people will STILL have to live by the rules, just as long as there isn't deviation from them. It doesn't make you a very popular person, but it's good for EVERYONE, and the words, "EVERYONE" is just what it says. One of the rule changes would be that, NO ONE would be practicing or renting any tracks for practice long before the majority got there to hot lap and qualify. The majority of the blue collar participants cannot always get off when there IS a chance for early practice. Hense, no one should have that advantage. You drive there, unload, hot lap, qualify, and RACE, PERIOD. That's the way it USE TO BE, so why can't it STILL BE. It's just ONE part of SAVING Motorsports and putting everyone on an even playing field. Just ONE PART, there are more parts to the equasion, but these rules would be a good start and most effective. The people in charge have to also enforce and stick to the rules and not become prostitutes either, because it would be the beginning of even more FAILURE.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment, but my fifteen minutes has come and gone, besides being too old and too fat doesn't help either. Ha!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > COMMENTS Please...