IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
mc/rider (Offline)
  #11 12/20/20 6:56 PM
I didnt see the stands as a hot spot. Walking through crowds going to or leaving consessions, bathrooms and gates were concentrated at times.Plus I was guilty of not social distancing several times. You see a race buddy and forget yourself. Not so fun habits are hard to put into practice. No scientific proof but I think racetrack dust and methanol fumes and screaming 410s and maybe a beer or two might kill the virus

When in doubt Gas It
15 Likes: addictedtodirt, cmakin, dshort36, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, i love dirt track racing, ISF, jim goerge, jonboat15, luckybuc97, oppweld, PIT CART, racenut69, tirespinner, TQ29m
duel (Offline)
  #12 12/20/20 11:45 PM
99.30% will not perish from this. We have been played. All hospitals are paid big money incentives to stamp someone "died of covid" even if they didn't die from it. Way overblown my opinion. 10 months now of panic from the media. I Had to take my wife into the emergency last week ann arbor. I could not enter? They tried to tie it to covid. Nothing at all to do with what her condition was. Not saying it's not there. It's being used for political purposes. I went to many races with lots of people in stands last year. Stay home if you are worried. That's freedom of choice. I am 66.
16 Likes: addictedtodirt, chrismattlin, dshort36, flagboy55, Joekocjan, jonboat15, kcarm92, luckybuc97, oppweld, PAW, PJ Wright, skids59, streetglider, The Old Coyote, tirespinner, TQ29m
Points (Offline)
  #13 12/21/20 1:54 AM
I would not call myself a covid avoider, maybe cautious or concerned. I got to only less than half my usual races. Mostly due to tracks not open or races cancelled. Went to some limited seating, some limited seating that didn't look limited and a few packed houses where you would of had to assume no one ever heard of covid. Brought my face covering and used it when in crowed areas.

My opinion outdoor races are low risk. As I have heard of very little of folks catching it from the track or pits. Pits are the first place i thought you would see an outbreak with the same teams around each other night after night sometimes. Maybe you just don't sit in the prime seats this year. You can usually find somewhere to sit or stand away from others.

If I survive the Chilibowl I will try to get my race count back up next summer.
5 Likes: dkdorkboy, flagboy55, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
Spi-nex (Offline)
  #14 12/21/20 7:38 AM
It's been over 2 years since I went to my last race. My motivation to get back involved with the sport is just non-existent, COVID or otherwise. If I do go I won't be forced to wear a muzzle that's for damn sure.
2 Likes: kcarm92, tirespinner
addictedtodirt (Offline)
  #15 12/21/20 8:18 AM
Flights are booked for USAC in Feb and Indycar in March. I'll continue the same preventative measures of hand washing and distancing. I don't believe God will take me from this earth one minute before he has planned me to.
4 Likes: jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner, TNRustler
DJlives (Offline)
  #16 12/21/20 9:20 AM
Nobody dies of COVID they die of pneumonia, heart issues etc. Same as process as AIDS.
I have lost a great racing buddy of 30 years and a friend of many on this board of COVID on Thanksgiving. Talking to a Kansas car owner last week he mentioned that a former driver lost his wife at 60. COVID. Al...who has written about auto racing in Indy for years lost his wife. COVID. One of our great USAC Champs and leaders has been very very sick and was so for nearly 2 weeks and isn't out of the woods. COVID and he's still a young man. D O Laycock's wife has been in the hospital. COVID. As the Associate Dean of the IU Medical School and a practicing ER doctor said in a meeting last week "if anyone doubts the seriousness of this come see me."
15 Likes: captrat, Daisy's dad, Danny Burton, duel, EBookerFan, erich45, fish, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, OnTheHammer, Pitdad, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner, TNRustler, TQ29m
revjimk (Offline)
  #17 12/21/20 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by duel:
99.30% will not perish from this. We have been played. All hospitals are paid big money incentives to stamp someone "died of covid" even if they didn't die from it. Way overblown my opinion. 10 months now of panic from the media. I Had to take my wife into the emergency last week ann arbor. I could not enter? They tried to tie it to covid. Nothing at all to do with what her condition was. Not saying it's not there. It's being used for political purposes. I went to many races with lots of people in stands last year. Stay home if you are worried. That's freedom of choice. I am 66.
JUST STOP! 317,000 dead so far....
11 Likes: captrat, Danny Burton, dirtnonwingfan, erich45, fish, ISF, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, oldfan49, Pitdad, spicoli
revjimk (Offline)
  #18 12/21/20 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by DJlives:
Nobody dies of COVID they die of pneumonia, heart issues etc. Same as process as AIDS.
I have lost a great racing buddy of 30 years and a friend of many on this board of COVID on Thanksgiving. Talking to a Kansas car owner last week he mentioned that a former driver lost his wife at 60. COVID. Al...who has written about auto racing in Indy for years lost his wife. COVID. One of our great USAC Champs and leaders has been very very sick and was so for nearly 2 weeks and isn't out of the woods. COVID and he's still a young man. D O Laycock's wife has been in the hospital. COVID. As the Associate Dean of the IU Medical School and a practicing ER doctor said in a meeting last week "if anyone doubts the seriousness of this come see me."
A Hoosier racing friend of mine recently died of COVID. I'm gonna let a closer friend make the announcement if he thinks its appropriate
Its NOT a hoax
6 Likes: EBookerFan, fish, JackSam40, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, oldfan49
revjimk (Offline)
  #19 12/21/20 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Points:
I would not call myself a covid avoider, maybe cautious or concerned. I got to only less than half my usual races. Mostly due to tracks not open or races cancelled. Went to some limited seating, some limited seating that didn't look limited and a few packed houses where you would of had to assume no one ever heard of covid. Brought my face covering and used it when in crowed areas.

My opinion outdoor races are low risk. As I have heard of very little of folks catching it from the track or pits. Pits are the first place i thought you would see an outbreak with the same teams around each other night after night sometimes. Maybe you just don't sit in the prime seats this year. You can usually find somewhere to sit or stand away from others.

If I survive the Chilibowl I will try to get my race count back up next summer.
I've been wondering about that.... maybe since its outside & people are all facing the same direction, rather than facing each other, makes it safer?
Or maybe the cases are not being reported?
Dougherty20 (Offline)
  #20 12/21/20 12:34 PM
In early November and early December, I just lost BOTH my mother-in-law and father-in-law to COVID within 27 days of each other. I take it a bit personal when people say COVID is a HOAX. Yes, they were both in their 80's, but it isn't a HOAX. We can all be carriers, even if we don't get sick or have symptoms.

I want to race as bad as the next person. Yes, I will attend races even with this pandemic but please stop calling it a hoax.
18 Likes: captrat, Daisy's dad, Danny Burton, DJlives, EBookerFan, fish, ISF, JackSam40, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, oldfan49, Pitdad, rick42, sc17x, Stevensville Mike, TNRustler, Tom23, WinglessLovers
Closed Thread