IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
davidlyons (Offline)
  #1 7/10/10 11:14 AM
Qualifying is everything in USAC. You need to be in the top 8-10 to have a good shot at a good finish. There are exceptions.

Lawrenceburg Last Night:
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Justin Grant, 5B, Baldwin-13.367; 2. Bobby East, 5, Klatt-13.387; 3. Kurt Gross, 1x, Gross-13.420; 4. Damion Gardner, 71, DG-13.529; 5. Levi Jones, 20, Stewart-13.542; 6. Blake Fitzpatrick, 10F, Fitzpatrick-13.594; 7. Dave Darland, 39, Goodnight-13.612; 8. Matt Mitchell, 37x, Mitchell-13.631; 9. Ricky Williams, 11w, Williams-13.645; 10. Brady Short, 36, Short-13.647; 11. John Memmer, 4m, Memmer-13.738;

Main finish (start)
Darland(3) Short(2) East(7) Jones(4) Gardner(5)

Memmer started on the pole lead most of the race til he fell out.
Grant was fast time, was running 6th til last lap.
Gross qualified great, didn't catch what happened to him in main???
East was 2nd quick, didn't make it out of his heat, started on pole of B. Started 7th in the main, (fastest qualifier transferring out of B starts 7th). Another reason to Qualify good.

Qualifying is **IMPORTANT** in USAC, that is #1, then you have to run top 4 in your heat race. (Levi(4), Gardner(5) and Grant(1) made it out of their heats). (East(2), Gross(3), Fitz(6), Mitchell(8), and Williams(9) didn't make it out of heats, allowing Memmer(11), Short(10), and DD(7) to move into the inversion.

'burg Side Notes:
Hunter was the exception last night, he had a great run to 6th. He came through the pack and got by Grant for 6th on the last lap.
Great Job to Hunter, good run!

Congrats to DD for yet another victory. Hard to find a better race car driver on and off the track.

Hard Luck award has to go to Memmer. (hate to see that happen)
Hope Bloom is doing OK, and Elson, Hmeil, Riggs get cars fixed for Gas City.

Hate to see drivers get out of their car and hit another driver on the track. Is USAC doing anything about the "Road(Track) Rage" last night?
Take it to the pits, on the track is no place to have a temper fit.

Thought my Dark Horse pick, (Justin Grant), had a chance to pull it off. Congrats to JG for fast time, and a great run in his heat race, (6th to 2nd). Just kind of hung where he started in the main til the last lap, when he biked and ran 8th.

Good Start to Speedweek, and good luck to all at Gas City.
Dave
ThaBurgFan (Offline)
  #2 7/10/10 11:29 AM
Congrats to DD for yet another victory. Hard to find a better race car driver on and off the track.

Dave,

Couldn't agree more. We were pitted next do Dave and the Goodnight team. I bought one of the new Darland shirts as soon as they arrived and my boys got to talk to Dave after race. Dave is the best in the business in my opinion!

Shane McHenry
davidlyons (Offline)
  #3 7/10/10 12:12 PM
Yep.

DD always has time for the fans, (especially the kids). There is not a driver out there that does not respect and like DD.

I wish he had a CD on his secrets to success. There are a lot of kids, (some adults), out there that could learn a lot from Dave Darland, on and off the track.

Dave
Heromaker (Offline)
  #4 7/10/10 12:31 PM
Sometimes certain drivers need to be hit over the head when they cause the whole field to crash behind them.
3 Likes: JEFFSTOY, mtek56, SPRINTCAR
davidlyons (Offline)
  #5 7/10/10 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Heromaker:
Sometimes certain drivers need to be hit over the head when they cause the whole field to crash behind them.
Heromakeer. I'm not disputing that!

Maybe we need two smiley faces for this one. One whacking the other with a helmet.

I just don't like to see it on the track, but that's a personal thing.

I was not defending or bashing anyone in the deal. I try to always stay on the positive side. I like to give credit, and point out positive things. You'll never see me bash a driver. If I have a problem with what someone says, I send a Private Message.

I hope you do not think I'm defending Levi, or bashing Mitchell. Just saying take it to the pits.

Dave
Heromaker (Offline)
  #6 7/10/10 3:11 PM
The one thing about taking it back to the pits is you can never confront that person one on one. There is always crew, parents, and girlfriends (wives) that get involved.

It is a double edged sword. Not disputing what you said just that sometimes what happened last night needs to happen. I would rather that happen than someone put a RR to someone going 120
davidlyons (Offline)
  #7 7/10/10 4:12 PM
Yep. Good points!!! Especially about the crew getting involved. Your point about the RR is also a good point, that is never a good option.
OK, We need the helmet whacking Icon.
spruett (Offline)
  #8 7/10/10 6:07 PM
Great point and race analysis/ rundown
thanks
Heromaker (Offline)
  #9 7/10/10 6:10 PM
Good luck and have fun at Sprint Week. It is hard missing all of this sitting in California