IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Novel Idea!
7/1/10, 11:04 PM   #71
Re: Novel Idea!
mcweld

Race Count This Year: 3

Iam thankfull to God our freedom and wings on sprint cars.

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
7/1/10, 11:14 PM   #72
v8j

I was able to get out of bed this morning. But I am happy when I am hired to: work harder,think smarter,and out enginer,the team next to me in the pits

7/2/10, 2:37 AM   #73
Dirt Man Bill

I agree with all of the above, especially:Bill Gardner, smell of methanol, dad taking me to the race track as a kid, promoters, owners, drivers, friends and living in central Indiana.

I would also specifically add Team 53, the picturesque beauty of Bloomington, Indiana Midget Week and of course Indiana Sprint Week.

To me the ultimate is watching two evenly matched nonwing sprints cars pull slide job after slide job, lap after lap or running side by side only inches apart lap after lap. Especially when the two drivers get out after the race and acknowledge each other for their skill and clean racing.

7/2/10, 2:54 AM   #74
wideopen24

I am thankfull that there are people that pay to come watch drivers like me live a dream every weekend! I grew up at the races, and im still growing up there...at 20 years old....Im thankfull that on July 31st I will be spending my 21st birthday racing at the Eldora Speedway where it all began for me watching my Dad drive his sprintcars....most of all im thankfull for God and the opportunities he has given me!!!

7/2/10, 7:15 AM   #75
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevracer58 View Post
I appreciate the push trucks and drivers; without them we wouldn't be able to race.
At the risk of blowing this great thread off course, I have three words for you: Clutch, transmission, starter.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
No other sport/game etc. assaults the senses like racing. I come home from a race either freezing, roasting, dirty, ears ringing, mustard stains on my pants, dust in my eyes (not much fun with contact lens), a half empty gas tank and often a sore behind from sitting on a less than soft seat. I'd not have it any other way.
Wow Danny, you're quite the salesman there:2:.

For my money, one of racing's best moments is when we get to see two racers battle wheel to wheel, lap after lap, hammer down, elbows up, all the way to the checker, and the 2nd place driver gives the feature winner a thumbs up as they drive back to the pits.

7/2/10, 2:13 PM   #76
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
The smell of the burning methanol as I approach the track from the parking lot always makes me walk that much faster. My wife always bugs me to slow down, but that smell takes me back to my chidhood and the great memories of going to the races with my dad.
lol I thought I was the only one that did that

7/2/10, 4:39 PM   #77
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortboyz View Post
the vigo county fairgrounds is also where i had the most fun ever in the backseat of a car....riding the 2-seater with my hero jack hewitt.
:2:

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Racer View Post
I also have been addicted to the sound and smell since birth. Probably prior.
Well, I've been told that my Dad took my mom to the races at Lake Hill Speedway when she was pregnant with me. So for me it is prior. Could we call that Fetal Methanol Syndrome?

7/2/10, 5:02 PM   #78
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiNOISE View Post
:2:

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Well, I've been told that my Dad took my mom to the races at Lake Hill Speedway when she was pregnant with me. So for me it is prior. Could we call that Fetal Methanol Syndrome?
Wow! Lake Hill Speedway. Now there is a place that is long gone as well. Brings back memories from days gone by.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

7/2/10, 5:09 PM   #79
stephen

I'm thankful for all the track promoters that have to put up will all the crap and complaining that some people do, and yet still keep plugging along giving us great racetracks to attend. I'm thankful for my dad who started taking my brother and I to races when I was still too small to even walk, he carried me on his shoulders. I'm thankful to still live in a country where you are free to travel to any race in any state at any time. I'm thankful for drivers, past and present , who lay it on the line every time they strap it up. I'm thankful for past heroes like Vogler, Opperman, Gaines, Sutcliffe, badasses like Bob Kinser, Jack Hewitt, Doug Wolfgang, and present-day living legends like Steve Kinser, Dave Darland, Sammy Swindell, and Jon Stanbrough.

2 members like this post: mcweld, Mud Packer
7/2/10, 5:58 PM   #80
mtek56

What I enjoy about racing is it helped save my life. In the early 80's, a drug counseler told me to find a positive addiction to supplant the negative drug addiction. I went to the Lawrenceburg speedway and was hooked. The smells, the sounds, and the excitement. Instead of concerts and nightclubs, my Saturday nights were spent at the burg. I still spend as many nights at the burg and other tracks as I can for I'm a methonal junkie.:2: And I thank God for giving me the grace to enjoy racing and not drugs.

Mike Tekulve

2 members like this post: Mud Packer, pletchfan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Novel Idea!