IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
revjimk (Offline)
  #21 11/1/21 2:19 PM
Originally Posted by cmakin:
All were wingless. Boyd was driving the Kenny Woodruff 21. No, I wasn't there but saw that combination race a bunch at West Capital back in the day.
Thanks for the clarification. It would have been awesome if he beat wingers!
Back to the original idea, I remember reading Karl Kinser at some point saying he wouldn't run a wingless car anymore because of safety issues. Thats probably still true with a lot of the WoO teams, which would make a "mixed" schedule impossible, as much as we'd like it. Even The Great Larson doesn't want to run wingless any more (or does his NASCAR team forbid it?)
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #22 11/1/21 2:59 PM
Originally Posted by revjimk:
Thanks for the clarification. It would have been awesome if he beat wingers!
Back to the original idea, I remember reading Karl Kinser at some point saying he wouldn't run a wingless car anymore because of safety issues. Thats probably still true with a lot of the WoO teams, which would make a "mixed" schedule impossible, as much as we'd like it. Even The Great Larson doesn't want to run wingless any more (or does his NASCAR team forbid it?)
If you notice Larson usually runs for people he has a past friendship with, when he runs open wheel cars. Although he had success in non wing cars, he didn't really run them a lot. Some of the people he had the most success with aren't involved any more. A few years ago I asked him if his contract didn't allow him to drive them. He said no, he could. Not sure about today.
2 Likes: chrismattlin, Will Shunk
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #23 11/1/21 5:33 PM
Outlaws just announced the 2022 schedule. 2 new $100k to win races (Husets and Eldora HBO) plus $1m point fund. I don't see them taking the wings off anytime soon.
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, fish, flagboy55, luckybuc97, PIT CART
revjimk (Offline)
  #24 11/1/21 6:02 PM
You're right!
Not gonna happen...I wish they'd get rid of the 3 point shot in basketball too, but that ain't happening either....
revjimk (Offline)
  #25 11/1/21 6:09 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
If you notice Larson usually runs for people he has a past friendship with, when he runs open wheel cars. Although he had success in non wing cars, he didn't really run them a lot. Some of the people he had the most success with aren't involved any more. A few years ago I asked him if his contract didn't allow him to drive them. He said no, he could. Not sure about today.
I saw Larson win the Ultimate Challenge (wingless) at Oskaloosa twice. I think I vaguely recall him & Rico running at Kokomo, but i might be hallucinating on that one....
revjimk (Offline)
  #26 11/1/21 6:12 PM
Yea, he won at Osky in 2011 & 2012, in the Hoffman #69 Mean Green car. http://kylelarsonracing.com/old/2011...eChallenge.htm
Still wondering about Kokomo... its been a while
revjimk (Offline)
  #27 11/1/21 6:17 PM
Yea, he's run Kokomo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRBl4_4uHI
Not sure when I was there, I might be able to look it up. I kept a log when I used to migrate cross country every summer
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #28 11/1/21 6:19 PM
Originally Posted by revjimk:
Yea, he won at Osky in 2011 & 2012, in the Hoffman #69 Mean Green car. http://kylelarsonracing.com/old/2011...eChallenge.htm
Still wondering about Kokomo... its been a while
The people who worked on the Hoffman car don't maintain that car anymore. Brady and his guys do. Kyle ran a few times at Kokomo in a car sponsored by Abreu Vineyards. Never saw Rico run non wing at Kokomo. Only remember him running at non wing at Calistoga.
revjimk (Offline)
  #29 11/1/21 6:40 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
The people who worked on the Hoffman car don't maintain that car anymore. Brady and his guys do. Kyle ran a few times at Kokomo in a car sponsored by Abreu Vineyards. Never saw Rico run non wing at Kokomo. Only remember him running at non wing at Calistoga.
What about Midgets? Did Rico run them at Kokomo?
opnwhlmnd (Offline)
  #30 11/1/21 6:57 PM
When Larson crashed the Hoffman car during Eldora 4 Crown and can't remember the exact year I looked at my Frolic friends and said "that will be the last time we see Larson in a non-wing sprint." It was a true statement. It was either 2016 or 2017.

Find a purpose in life ..... Be a bad example
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, luckybuc97, racenut69