IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Jerry Spencer (Offline)
  #1 2/23/16 6:01 PM
The fire is almost out but the Northbound traffic on 31 is backed way up. No one hurt and the fire is now out

Jerry
HardyBoysRacing (Offline)
  #2 2/25/16 12:06 PM
How bad is the damage? My father is friend's with the owner and GW Pierce used to sponsor my dad's USAC stock car.
ronmil (Offline)
  #3 2/25/16 1:47 PM
Originally Posted by HardyBoysRacing:
How bad is the damage? My father is friend's with the owner and GW Pierce used to sponsor my dad's USAC stock car.
Is your dad Butch Garner?

Ron Miller
  #4 2/25/16 5:04 PM
Originally Posted by ronmil:
Is your dad Butch Garner?
Butch drove for my father William Hardy. He had a USAC Dodge Charger in the mid-70's
2 Likes: Josh Spencer, ronmil
  #5 2/25/16 5:07 PM
Here's a picture of the car in 1975. Dad got it from Pierce at the end of the 1974 season after McCluskey won Springfield with it.
8 Likes: davidm, DirtHawk92, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, Josh Spencer, nathans1012, RadRacer, ronmil
ronmil (Offline)
  #6 2/26/16 4:19 PM
Here's a picture of the car in 1975. Dad got it from Pierce at the end of the 1974 season after McCluskey won Springfield with it.
I remember that car well!

Ron Miller
ISF (Offline)
  #7 2/26/16 6:16 PM
I watched that car race in the Allen Crowe Memorial 100 USAC Stock Car race at The Springfield Mile in August of 1975. I was just barely out of college at that time and haven't missed a Crowe Memorial since that Sunday back in '75.

Hope the damage is minimal due to the fire.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
  #8 2/29/16 6:09 PM
Funny thing is that car started 8th and finished 8th with Butch in 1975. This was my dad's first home track race as a USAC owner. Last year Shane Cockrum ran my dad's champ car at the Illinois State Fair forty years after my dad's first race as a car owner and also finished 8th.
  #9 2/29/16 6:14 PM
I still carry his USAC card in my wallet for good luck! Kinda cool that there is still a USAC car owner still involved 40 years later!
Attachments:
024.JPG (1.32 MB)

6 Likes: davidm, i love dirt track racing, Josh Spencer, nathans1012, ronmil, Wizard 05
interpreter66 (Offline)
  #10 2/29/16 7:48 PM
Now that is cool!