IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona crowd so small today
2/17/18, 10:20 AM   #41
Re: Daytona crowd so small today
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
NASCAR "politically correct"??? In what way?
telling your southern fan base not to hang your heritage at the track.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART
2/17/18, 11:36 PM   #42
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
It wasn't that long ago that Twin 125's or 150's on Thursdays were a big deal. They meant something. In each race you had 4,5 drivers that were trying to make the show. Now they all get in. Personally, I take no joy in what's happened to IndyCar and what's happening now in the steep decline of NASCAR but it's true that their loss is dirt racings gain. Our big events are going up, while theirs are dropping
I' m not thrilled about the napcar crowds coming to the short tracks, meab yes its great for the promoters more money but remember these are the idiots who spend big bucks for a seat then stand up the whole race. I hope someone has bail money cuz I might need it lol

2/18/18, 12:12 AM   #43
dirt330

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
I' m not thrilled about the napcar crowds coming to the short tracks, meab yes its great for the promoters more money but remember these are the idiots who spend big bucks for a seat then stand up the whole race. I hope someone has bail money cuz I might need it lol
So far the best post of 2018. So true. You and Ronmil would be a great tag team.

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, ronmil
2/18/18, 1:12 AM   #44
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
telling your southern fan base not to hang your heritage at the track.
Did NASCAR actually ban Confederate flags, or suggest that people don't bring them?
If fans give up a sport they like for that reason, they must not like it that much.... screw 'em
But I don't think thats the reason for declining attendance anyway

2/18/18, 1:20 AM   #45
revjimk

I Googled it. NASCAR stopped using Rebel flag for its official stuff, but still allows fans to fly it.
I had another point to make, but will avoid ********....sprint cars only!

2/18/18, 11:36 AM   #46
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Our Indy tickets went up $80.00 apiece in just 2 years. It was called the "centennial price readjustment", or some such cockamamie thing and the State of Indiana hung a sizable tax on the tickets, as well. It was mainly an excuse to jack the hell out of the ticket prices in anticipation of a huge crowd for the 100th running. Daytona doesn't have the patent on gouging, by no means.
Not really. Several truths to what you're finally dealing with:

1. That nearly 20 year war some of you on here fully supported has led to a series that is propped up by one big cash cow. Not to mention it's led to only a couple of days within the month of May, race day and carb day, that they can actually make super large amounts of money to help pay for the daily operations that support that facility and series.

2. To be quite honest, we've gotten off fairly lightly compared to other main events for top level sports.

A Kentucky Derby GA ticket is $70 pre sale and $80 at the gate. That's around $40 or so less than I pay to sit at the top of the turn 2 grandstand for one of the oldest and most prestigious auto races in the world....that's a freaking steal.

When you take their GA prices into account you can gather a bit what you'll be paying for grandstand. According to the Courier-Journal, you'll pay anywhere from $350 to $500 for the Oaks and Derby. That's $170-$250 per race day of Derby weekend. When you jump up to box seats that price jumps to $2,500 and above.

I just looked on the NCAA Mens Basketball Tournament ticket exchange. Want a championship game ticket? Better have at least a $175 in your wallet.

We all hate having to pay higher prices, but at the same time a business can't keep charging what it always has for many various reasons. The truth of the matter is the 500 for the most part is a fairly generous deal.

Something I'll add on race weekend costs, and I'm not posting this to be a jerk, but hopefully people will start thinking. There are 2 common themes I've long observed among the gripes, and unwillingness to accept reality and make the necessary changes to continue enjoying said event and poor prior planning.

While I fully respect the desire to sit in a certain place due to a long line of family members holding a certain seating area, at the same time if I really sit down and think about it, do I really need the seat if I'm paying that much? Would I love to sit in E stand and those decks above the turns? Absolutely. Am I going to pay those prices. Hell no and I'm certainly not going to allow that to keep from going, I'll find a cheaper option.

Does any ticket you purchase mandate that you camp at the track or stay at hotel five minutes down the road? Nope. What's wrong with finding a hotel or camp site and hour out? I've done that on many occasion and my wallet thanked me for it.

Sometimes the prices to these things are us making it higher than it need be.
Last edited by Brickyard; 2/18/18 at 11:58 AM.

5 members like this post: dirt330, fish, ISF, jjones752, Tom23
2/18/18, 11:38 AM   #47
racer-x

I am sure I am the only one on this board that has been up since 5 this morning watching all the old races and stories on FS1.

The best one so far was the year Mario won the Daytona 500 after he complained about not getting the same motor as his teammate.

Between the Arca race and that Bush race yesterday I'm not sure how anyone would want to go to a race live when it takes over a hour just to watch the last 10 laps of caution and restarts.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
2/18/18, 2:19 PM   #48
cleatziff

Seen that the grandstands sold out for the Daytona 500 the number posted was 101000 seats. I’m going to go drink some beer with my friends today and be happy i get to watch a race. But of course I’m a guy that likes most forms of racing. Heck my wife hates it when i watch the 24 hours of Daytona. I’m pretty sure I have even enjoyed watching turtles race! So cheers friends let’s enjoy some racing!

6 members like this post: dirt330, fish, mc/rider, PIT CART, racer-x, Russ
2/19/18, 2:15 PM   #49
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
From interviews toward the end of the season, then interviews this week......Am I the only one that feels like I am watching people go to work at a job they do not enjoy?....Have they lost enthusiasm? Especially the older drivers, seems to me that they do not have the passion, do not enjoy, do not have the fire? Have the older drivers made to much money? I do not know, maybe it is just me? I just get the feeling that 50% of the driver population is doing us a favor by participating?

Seems the younger drivers with the smaller % based contracts have more enthusiasm?
I don't think the money is the issue, but the difference in enthusiasm between younger and older drivers is to me, experience. Everything that use to make NASCAR exciting is gone, but the headaches and ******** have only increased. It use to require skill and experience to wheel a Cup car around, but now that so much technology has been allowed in, that at tracks like Daytona/Talledega all you need to do is hold your foot down and race by simply getting in someone else's way. The cars use to be difficult to manage, a heavy handful. Now they hire spokes models and teach them to operate a car at high speeds, but not how to race. The engines rarely blow, the tires rarely go flat and the cars are so tough you can bang on them all day. The 600 at Charlotte use to be one of my favorites because of the endurance factor on car and driver, now its just too long. They need to take it back to factory engines, not purpose built engineering marvels, but the same engine that comes in your truck. Go back to bias ply tires with NO inner liner. Lastly do away with spoilers, air dams, restrictor plates, bump stops and go back to 8 inch wide tires from the 60's. 2 car team max. There is more, but I'm bored with their whole disgusting show.

5 members like this post: jim goerge, mc/rider, oppweld, PIT CART, Scott Daloisio
2/19/18, 4:10 PM   #50
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
Not really. Several truths to what you're finally dealing with:

While I fully respect the desire to sit in a certain place due to a long line of family members holding a certain seating area, at the same time if I really sit down and think about it, do I really need the seat if I'm paying that much? Would I love to sit in E stand and those decks above the turns? Absolutely. Am I going to pay those prices. Hell no and I'm certainly not going to allow that to keep from going, I'll find a cheaper option.

Does any ticket you purchase mandate that you camp at the track or stay at hotel five minutes down the road? Nope. What's wrong with finding a hotel or camp site and hour out? I've done that on many occasion and my wallet thanked me for it.

Sometimes the prices to these things are us making it higher than it need be.
If I can't sit where I want, I don't go period. While you may pay less; if I am putting my time and money into attending any event, seat choice is one thing I don't cheap out on. A poor seat ruins the experience; but some folks don't care as long as they got a good deal. I just don't get it.

Hotel, food, everything else is where I try to save my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
Between the Arca race and that Bush race yesterday I'm not sure how anyone would want to go to a race live when it takes over a hour just to watch the last 10 laps of caution and restarts.
Another thing I just do not understand. Why would anyone be upset over the race officials trying end the event under green? So it takes a while sometimes; so what I'm already there and bought the ticket give me a finish. If I'm watching on TV I've already invested 2+ hours of my life, give me a finish.

And when short tracks guys say it; which is where I almost always hear it... it befundles me. Because short track/dirt track races never end under yellow except in case of weather. It honestly ranks right up there with NASCAR fans standing during the D%%% race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
I don't think the money is the issue, but the difference in enthusiasm between younger and older drivers is to me, experience. Everything that use to make NASCAR exciting is gone, but the headaches and ******** have only increased. It use to require skill and experience to wheel a Cup car around, but now that so much technology has been allowed in, that at tracks like Daytona/Talledega all you need to do is hold your foot down and race by simply getting in someone else's way. The cars use to be difficult to manage, a heavy handful. Now they hire spokes models and teach them to operate a car at high speeds, but not how to race. The engines rarely blow, the tires rarely go flat and the cars are so tough you can bang on them all day. The 600 at Charlotte use to be one of my favorites because of the endurance factor on car and driver, now its just too long. They need to take it back to factory engines, not purpose built engineering marvels, but the same engine that comes in your truck. Go back to bias ply tires with NO inner liner. Lastly do away with spoilers, air dams, restrictor plates, bump stops and go back to 8 inch wide tires from the 60's. 2 car team max. There is more, but I'm bored with their whole disgusting show.
Some ideas I like, and some that don't make sense to me. The idea I really like is going back to bias ply tires and narrowing them up. But there is no reason to not have an inner liner; just a safety feature.

Related not related; I don't know why the heck passenger car tires don't have inner liners.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona crowd so small today