IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Must read for Div II Midget racers
7/6/15, 10:56 AM   #1
Must read for Div II Midget racers
DAD

Found a very good article in a motorcycle magazine. In it they are talking about Kawasaki Vs Harley Davidson. Engines are engines>>>If you read it, and it is pretty simple reading>>>You will better understand why Esslinger came out with the Tall Head, Why Toyota and Mo-par came out with larger bores and why it is possible to achieve such high power out of the 1000cc motorcycle motor. It also helps in understanding why the 4 valve automotive motors will help save midget racing and what to look for when looking for a high performance Junk Yard Motor.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/09/12...-track-engine/

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: MidwestD2Midget, Wayne Davis
7/6/15, 11:54 AM   #2
Re: Must read for Div II Midget racers
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
That was a very good read Bill

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: DAD
7/6/15, 12:05 PM   #3
RoyaltonMiniSprint

Went to the AMA motorcycle races on the Duquoin magic mile July 4th the Kawasaki's could outrun the Harleys down the straitaways but the Harleys could beat the Kawasaki's in the corners because the Kawis had too much power a Kawasaki did win by a photo finish awesome race and I'm not a flat track motorcycle fan!

7/6/15, 12:21 PM   #4
DAD

Wayne

It is pretty easy to do a drive by inspection of a motor and tell if it will be a power house or a louse. Engine builders call it the "Port window" When you look down the intake port from the outside>>>just how much of the intake valve can you see. The more valve the more power>>>that is why the displacement argument is fruitless because the real power is in the port design>>that is why a 1000cc motorcycle motor can hang with a motor more than twice its size. When I look down the port of my Kawasaki I see about 7/8th of the intake valves. How much of the intake valve do you see when looking down the port of a Focus Motor? Then an Ecotec? As old Shakespeare would say, "Thereby hangs the tail". Don't get tied up with rules that don't add up to a hill of beans. A motor 50 cubic inches smaller than another can outperform the larger one simply because of Volumetric Efficiency. Decide on a displacement representing the size of the majority of cars found in the salvage yard close to what you are racing and let the racers experiment. I would think 2500cc or 3000cc and do away with the odd ball 2436cc or whatever it is.

I'm ready for a name change "Junk Yard Midgets" that is a much easier name for us low budget racers to get our head around. and we might decide yeh I might be able to afford one of them cars myself.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/6/15 at 1:18 PM.

7/6/15, 11:35 PM   #5
DAD

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/pic...pictureid=2925 a standard esslinger port. Can't see much intake valve here?

Esslinger xl head now we can see more than 50% of the intake valve https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/pic...pictureid=2924

Stock motorcycle head now we can see darned near all of both of the intake valves. As the amount of valve or valves uncovered gets larger so does the power output per cc that the engine will produce. https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/pic...pictureid=2926

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/7/15 at 10:17 AM.

7/7/15, 10:20 AM   #6
DAD

x

How the heck do I get pics to show in my posts?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/7/15 at 10:28 AM.

7/7/15, 11:12 AM   #7
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Click "Edit Post". Click on "Go Advanced", click on the paperclip, click on "Browse" to find your files; make sure they aren't bigger than the max size allowed (it will say in the file size column of the "Manage Attachments" window). If they are too big go open them in your photo editor program and resize, then try again.
Trust me, I'm in IT...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 7/7/15 at 11:13 AM.

7/7/15, 9:43 PM   #8
DAD

Jim

I guess when it comes to computers as well as race cars I am just plain DUMB>>>>> Did not work for me. Were you able to see what I was trying to get across anyhow.

Honest Dad himself
Attached Images
$(KGrHqV,!k8FEL89TNcHBRcUoQig7w~~60_57 ecotec head.JPG (234.0 KB, 25 views)
1964950_710130625675158_2110560917_n esslinger.jpg (176.7 KB, 26 views)
$_57 stock focus.JPG (274.8 KB, 25 views)
Last edited by DAD; 7/7/15 at 9:47 PM.

7/7/15, 9:52 PM   #9
DAD

[ATTACH]Attachment 15241[/ATTACH]How did I do that???
Attached Images
$(KGrHqUOKnQE1ReQM)fYBNb(!mYbZQ~~_12 $2000.00 focus head.JPG (32.6 KB, 27 views)
$_57.JPG (125.2 KB, 19 views)
Last edited by DAD; 7/7/15 at 10:03 PM.

7/8/15, 1:09 AM   #10
hotracer11f

That was a pretty interesting, and informative read! Thanks for posting it!! Really hoping that the idea of "Div II" or "sportsman" midgets really catches on more to help the sport grow!! All it's going to take is more people putting out this kind of information to help spread it around.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Must read for Div II Midget racers