IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Death in Racing
9/21/18, 9:21 PM   #11
Re: Death in Racing
Sandy Lowe

One easy, no-cost fix that will make a safer racing environment for drivers is to refuse to compete at tracks that do not have an ambulance on site. If you see an ambulance at the track do not assume it is properly staffed and equipped. Make sure they have the proper personnel and equipment for:
1. Airway maintenance and breathing assistance
2. Spinal protection and stabilization
3. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
4. Control of external bleeding
5. Transportation
It amazes me that with so many choices of where to race this doesn't factor more into peoples decisions.

10/5/18, 3:29 PM   #12
Cage Faraday

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR57 View Post
Design of access areas, entrance, exits, should have some sort of uniform standards IMO.
Is that a pic of BAPS? I agree looking into track designs is a reasonable thing to do, the speeds have increased dramatically from when a lot of tracks were originally built. It only makes sense to make adjustments to the facilities to compensate for the increase in speeds. We make changes to our cars for better safety, why shouldn't the tracks progress too. I'm not gonna automatically yell, "Slow those cars down" that's a bit knee jerk. But we do need to look at track layouts/configs. In most cases little things could've made the difference between death/injury and walking away. Why not do what we can to make sure more of us can race another day?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART
10/5/18, 4:26 PM   #13
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage Faraday View Post
Is that a pic of BAPS? I agree looking into track designs is a reasonable thing to do, the speeds have increased dramatically from when a lot of tracks were originally built. It only makes sense to make adjustments to the facilities to compensate for the increase in speeds. We make changes to our cars for better safety, why shouldn't the tracks progress too. I'm not gonna automatically yell, "Slow those cars down" that's a bit knee jerk. But we do need to look at track layouts/configs. In most cases little things could've made the difference between death/injury and walking away. Why not do what we can to make sure more of us can race another day?
Yup that is BAPS. Problem with moving entrances is the shear cost of moving walls. I agree where they are at BAPS was just a recipe for disaster. Also I've seen so many people say they need to slow the cars down. At 90mph or 130+mph hitting an opening at that speed and almost stopping, chances of survival is slim in sprint car IMHO.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/6/18, 5:03 PM   #14
Cage Faraday

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoscalecody View Post
Yup that is BAPS. Problem with moving entrances is the shear cost of moving walls. I agree where they are at BAPS was just a recipe for disaster. Also I've seen so many people say they need to slow the cars down. At 90mph or 130+mph hitting an opening at that speed and almost stopping, chances of survival is slim in sprint car IMHO.
You are right having an opening like that at any speed is an unnecessary danger. This is where I'd like to see the drivers step up and take responsibility for their own safety at tracks that aren't up to par. We need to stand together and say, "No, we won't race there anymore until its fixed". First, they could approach the track and see what they might be planning, but if they don't intend to fix it then boycott, that's what its for. I think we owe that much to the racers needlessly lost and the families that remain. Its NOT too much to ask.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/6/18, 9:35 PM   #15
drtracr

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 10

Look at Formula1 adding front halos to protect the driver. Sprint cars could add more cage.

10/8/18, 9:14 PM   #16
Midget 89

Who were the two who died and where were the accidents?

10/8/18, 9:29 PM   #17
Baylands

This is an old post regarding J. Johnson and G Hodnett. It creates confusion when people reply to old posts.

10/9/18, 8:12 AM   #18
Midget 89

It does, indeed.

10/9/18, 4:56 PM   #19
kartracer99

whats the drivers name.

1 member likes this post: martz32
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Death in Racing