IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > THAT-Surprised no one has seen this
3/6/23, 10:27 AM   #31
Re: THAT-Surprised no one has seen this
Nut'n but Dirt

They should have worked with Scott and Bernie last year to keep what they were trying to do. Instead they fought with them trying to make improvements. Fair Board either needs to figure out if they want to race or not!

3/6/23, 1:28 PM   #32
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I understand my good friend Oppweld’s sentiment, but Flo has never been what keeps me from going to a place that I absolutely love, THAT. You just drive onto the property and feel like you’re on hallowed ground. The biggest problem always has been for me is they refuse to race on Saturday. However, I will absolutely go ahead and leave work early if I have to to get to at least one race this year
First race at Terre Haute looks like USAC Silver Crown on Sunday, April 16th as per that Facebook post.

Bruce Eckel

3/6/23, 1:43 PM   #33
cowboyhar69

The Dirt Champ cars put on a great show at the Action Track, last years race was a dandy!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

3/6/23, 3:49 PM   #34
JMA1181

Money can buy a lot of things; businesses, sprint car rides, even race tracks, but it doesn’t make you a good promoter and doesn’t put fans in the stands or cars on the track.

Sounds to me like the fair board is looking for a sponsor, not a promoter. Sargent checks all the boxes when it comes to a promotional group but apparently that’s not what they are looking for out there.

Maybe this last promotional group would be a good fit for Gas City? Closer to home for one of the parties. It would be a much shorter trip for him when he decides to take his ball and go home.

5 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, nathans1012, oppweld, PIT CART, TQ29m
3/6/23, 9:32 PM   #35
flagboy55

Bruce your point is made. Sunday’s I have no problem doing providing I get home in time to get some sleep before my clock goes off at 4:30. But thankfully I gain an hour coming home so unless there’s some big delays, it will work out good. I’ll see you there

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cowboyhar69, oppweld
3/7/23, 2:41 AM   #36
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
C'mon Jason you know better than that. You would get about 10-12 cars show up on a half mile. Midgets on big tracks are long gone due to the engine cost. Its a shame but its true.
But it wouldn't be a THAT thread without talk of the Hut 100! lol.

New era of midget racing tho...if the National cars won't show up, maybe try it with 2.4s OR a formulated restricted plan of a little bit older National motors and 2.4s (you just have to be running at the finish...)...whatever it takes to get 33 cars starting 3 wide.

There were PLENTY of badaz Hut 100s when everyone didn't have 400+ HP...and more cars. I think there would be a good initial turnout for nostalgia and, hey, if the payout can be better than they (2.4 cars) normally race for, maybe it could sustain itself...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

3/7/23, 10:18 AM   #37
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
But it wouldn't be a THAT thread without talk of the Hut 100! lol.

New era of midget racing tho...if the National cars won't show up, maybe try it with 2.4s OR a formulated restricted plan of a little bit older National motors and 2.4s (you just have to be running at the finish...)...whatever it takes to get 33 cars starting 3 wide.

There were PLENTY of badaz Hut 100s when everyone didn't have 400+ HP...and more cars. I think there would be a good initial turnout for nostalgia and, hey, if the payout can be better than they (2.4 cars) normally race for, maybe it could sustain itself...
Were you at the last Hut 100? There were no fans there. Maybe a couple of hundred. I don't see any way at this point it could be done successfully. I really wish it could, but I wouldn't put my money up to do it.

5 members like this post: Grocery Guy, openwheelfan1, oppweld, PIT CART, racefan20
3/8/23, 7:16 AM   #38
miledirt

Still nothing official out there about the 4/16 at THAT? Correct?

3/8/23, 10:06 AM   #39
DaleDuBois

Back in the day USAC ran only 1/2-mile tracks, so the engines they ran were 1/2-mile engines built to run 1/2-mile tracks. The engines now are 1/4- and 3/8-mile engines that won't last on a 1/2. It takes big bucks to have an engine that can win on a 1/2-mile track without blowing up. I remember going to Terre Haute in the early sixties to see the sprints race. I don't remember seeing any more than enough for the feature. No big pits on the West Side of the track as they all pitted on the front stretch in front of the fans. Most all of the cars were brought in on open trailers or on the back of a truck as no one used enclosed trailers. Most of the racers were Indy 500 drivers like AJ Foyt and the Unser's and that was what the fans came to see. No other class of race cars ran on that date. So, the fans came to see 15 or 20 sprints with no full roll cage. Racers were killed in those sprints. It seemed that the grandstand was mostly full for all of the races. I think most 1/2-mile tracks racing midgets and sprints are going to be history. For the champ cars, on 1/2-mile or bigger tracks is the only place you can see them race.

3/8/23, 11:13 AM   #40
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
Still nothing official out there about the 4/16 at THAT? Correct?
Maybe we will know something by this weekend?

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, miledirt
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > THAT-Surprised no one has seen this