IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Look what I uncovered!!
6/23/14, 12:13 PM   #11
Re: Look what I uncovered!!
cecil98

I see Ross Smith's name but, he's not in the photo???? They have #71 by his name, which was Diz's 2nd car (the orange one) that Mike Smith drove quite a bit. This was definitely in the mid 60's.

PS..... there are quite a few more names and car #'s listed, than there are drivers in the photo...
Last edited by cecil98; 6/23/14 at 3:43 PM.

1 member likes this post: HurstBros0
6/23/14, 2:21 PM   #12
DAD

The # 70 racer is sure not Roy Robins, maybe Roy Wathen? The #2 guy looks more like Roy Robbins. When you met Roy for the first time you didn't notice his face, the first thing you noticed was his Arms, they was big, but the most striking thing was his fore arms, they looked like Pop-Eye's. Probably due to his trade as an "Iron Worker". They didn't use ladders to climb them beams they just grabbed hold of them and walked on up them. Power steering had not been invented back then and I am sure those arms helped quite a bit in some of those longer races that they ran back then. I heard that they also came in pretty handy in some of them after race discussions about rules and racing etiquette. Back then kids weren't allowed in the pits and very few females ventured to that side of the pit gate either.

I came up with about 32 names for 25 faces.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 6/23/14 at 2:32 PM.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, SPRINTCAR
6/23/14, 2:34 PM   #13
Speedwrench

I would say this is pre-1969 based on the fact that Allen Barr is listed in the 89 car.

6/23/14, 3:53 PM   #14
Flatrightrear

Wow, saw so many if not all of these drivers at Haubstadt growing up. It is funny how tough these guys look and were compared to some of the 98 lb. weakling-types with heavy right feet we see today. The contrast is startling.

6/23/14, 6:00 PM   #15
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
The # 70 racer is sure not Roy Robins, maybe Roy Wathen? The #2 guy looks more like Roy Robbins. When you met Roy for the first time you didn't notice his face, the first thing you noticed was his Arms, they was big, but the most striking thing was his fore arms, they looked like Pop-Eye's. Probably due to his trade as an "Iron Worker". They didn't use ladders to climb them beams they just grabbed hold of them and walked on up them. Power steering had not been invented back then and I am sure those arms helped quite a bit in some of those longer races that they ran back then. I heard that they also came in pretty handy in some of them after race discussions about rules and racing etiquette. Back then kids weren't allowed in the pits and very few females ventured to that side of the pit gate either.

I came up with about 32 names for 25 faces.

Honest Dad himself
The #70 driver is obviously Dick Gaines and the line from the 70 on the photo points to his name. Also, Orval Yeadon is in this photo. That's a guy that you don't hear mentioned often, but if you know anybody that has old newspapers, you know this is a guy who won a lot of races in this era.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/23/14 at 6:04 PM.

1 member likes this post: Myrmidon76
6/23/14, 7:10 PM   #16
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
Also, Orval Yeadon is in this photo. That's a guy that you don't hear mentioned often, but if you know anybody that has old newspapers, you know this is a guy who won a lot of races in this era.

Jerry
. Didn't he win the first Eldora 500 ?

6/23/14, 10:18 PM   #17
rclaridge

Roy Robbins is also in there, winner of the first Knoxville nationals.

6/23/14, 11:20 PM   #18
HurstBros0

Dad says he believes 1966...

6/24/14, 7:11 AM   #19
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
The #70 driver is obviously Dick Gaines and the line from the 70 on the photo points to his name. Also, Orval Yeadon is in this photo. That's a guy that you don't hear mentioned often, but if you know anybody that has old newspapers, you know this is a guy who won a lot of races in this era.

Jerry
Orval Yeadon drove for a local woman here in Cincinnati named Maude Smith. Some of you old timers might remember the name. She was a car owner for many years and had a lot of good drivers work for her, including Dick Gaines, Yeadon, Gilstrap etc.

6/24/14, 7:20 AM   #20
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclaridge View Post
Roy Robbins is also in there, winner of the first Knoxville nationals.
That's one of the names I cant find in the photo. The closest one to Roy's face is the #7 on the far right front row but, his arms and especially, his hands, don't look big enough. By my memory (which can be faulty!) #2 doesn't look like Roy at all. Another name that appears (but I can't in the photo) is #24 Bubby Jones.
Last edited by cecil98; 6/24/14 at 7:27 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Look what I uncovered!!