IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloom steals hickory must see racing opener
4/5/15, 1:37 AM   #1
Bloom steals hickory must see racing opener
Pavement Dave

BLOOM STEALS HICKORY MUST SEE RACING OPENER

Newton, NC – April 4, 2015 – Bangor, MI driver Jeff Bloom captured the “Southern Showdown” at Hickory Motor Speedway Saturday night. The veteran driver and 2013 National Sprint Car Hall of Fame inductee picked up his first career Must See Racing series win. Bloom originally finished second but was awarded the win after original winner Aaron Pierce was moved to fifth place for a post-race rules violation.

Bloom started on the outside front row and was never seriously challenged throughout the event. The win ended a winless streak that dates back to nearly three years. Bloom’s night got off to a rocky start when an oil line came loose in hot laps, resulting in the track being oiled down, despite no damage to the car. ”It feels good I’ll tell you that” explained Bloom after the win. ”It’s been a long time since I’ve run a race this long, and I didn’t know if I’d get tired. It’s a brand new car of my design and I really didn’t get a lot of laps in the car this weekend. I knew it wasn’t me. I was struggling with my old car and I told my wife (Linda) it was time for a new car. It was a good weekend and I only bought one tire this weekend. It does feel good to start the season off with a win” concluded Bloom.

Johnny Bridges of nearby Cherryville, NC led a strong contingent of 360 c.i. drivers who participated in the event against the 410 c.i. cars of Must See Racing. Several monetary bonuses and a 100 lb. weight break were implemented to entice participation in the event for the 360’s. Bridges finished second in the 40-lap feature event while putting on a thrilling display of driving; entertaining fans with his dirt tracking style of driving. Johnny Petrozelle III finished third, ensuring that two out of the top three finishers were 360’s.

The event was taped for telecast on MAVTV at a date and time to be announced at a later date. Both nights of the two-night “Southern Showdown” will be shown to a national television audience on the ”Dirty 30” program.

The series will be idle until its next event May 2 at Berlin Raceway in Marne, MI. For more info on Must See Racing including MAVTV air date and times log onto www.mustseeracing.com.

SOUTHERN SHOWDOWN 40-LAP FEATURE RESULTS

1.) Jeff Bloom 26b - 2.) Johnny Bridges 07b – 3.) Johnny Petrozelle 59 – 4.) Cody Gallogly 27 – 5.) Aaron Pierce 26p – 6.) Jacob Wilson 07w – 7.) Greg Smyre 21k – 8.) Anthony McCune 44 – 9.) Derek Bischak 35 – 10.) Jimmy McCune 88
Last edited by Pavement Dave; 4/5/15 at 1:40 AM.

4/5/15, 4:19 AM   #2
Re: Bloom steals hickory must see racing opener
racephoto1

It's been a rough couple years for the Blooms, it's nice to see Jeff win this one.

4/5/15, 7:01 AM   #3
speed bump

Great news ...The Bloom`s have been a favorite of mine since I watched his dad ..Ned ..at New Paris Indiana back in the 50`s...I hope you have a really great season and lots of luck especially in the Little 500....

3 members like this post: bobO, Buster51, Ken Bonnema
4/5/15, 12:14 PM   #4
oljonesy

could we get a full field rundown? gerster, helburg etc.,i.e. the caliber of the field. thanks.

4/5/15, 5:05 PM   #5
ossuks

Wonder what place the guy that called Bloom a "start and park" finished?

4/6/15, 1:00 AM   #6
jdull99

Y did AP get the penalty? Moved to last car on lead lap, or what was the deal? Were there more than 11 cars?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4/6/15, 10:53 AM   #7
griffithracing

I believe only 11 cars was the full field.

4/6/15, 2:05 PM   #8
tinkertoys

I too am very interested as to what type of infraction justifies a racer to be scored as the last car on the lead lap instead of total disqualification, being scored in last place, or all points and money being forfeited totally. Jumping a restart, or driving off of the designated race course? With Bloomington Speedway removing the infield tire's this year would being penalized this way be appropriate for racer's that are going to start using the infield there?

4/6/15, 2:44 PM   #9
sprintracer82

According to must see sprints Facebook posting the winners wickerbill was too tall after the feature.

4/6/15, 4:49 PM   #10
Chase Hightower

Awesome! Bloom is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. Thrilled for him to win. And I vote whoever "Stoney" is that posted the start and park comment j*ckoff of the year. If you don't like the Blooms you should be deported to a third world country. JMO.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, sc17x
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloom steals hickory must see racing opener