IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair?
10/13/11, 9:31 PM   #61
Re: Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair
bloard

Quote:
Originally Posted by burris7555 View Post
I do not own nor drive a car. However I am around it enough to have a very good idea about what is going on behind the scenes money wise.

For a competitive team its a minimum at least of around 500 dollars a night to drop the trailer door. My point is, you have a 15k roller, 20k engine, whats another 30 dollars to enter your car in this race?

Most competitors are not going to worry about paying the extra 30 bucks to enter. Majority will be thinking that is 30 dollars less they get at the payout window after they win the A.
I think you are seriously overestimating the lack of financial concern of most teams that consider themselves 'competitive'... if not on the verge of outright insulting the intelligence of those who own, drive, or fund 'competitive' rides.

When a barrel of fuel goes up by $30, we notice and it ultimately impacts the ability of some teams to continue. When diesel goes up by a buck a gallon, we notice and it ultimately impacts the ability of some teams to continue. When tires increase in cost by $20, we notice and it ultimately impacts the ability of some teams to continue. And when the cost to even participate goes up by $20-30 through an entry fee, we notice and it ultimately impacts the ability of some teams to continue.

A guy might own a 20,000 fishing boat as a hobby, but that doesn't mean that he's going to go to the lake if they charge him $30 to drop his boat in the water.
Last edited by bloard; 10/13/11 at 9:34 PM.

3 members like this post: AustinSprinter, Russ, wvwildthg
10/13/11, 9:42 PM   #62
i love dirt track racing

wow!!!!!!!!! i just read 60 tags on this and can not believe that us fans will drive 2.5 hours friday and have drivers yell about racing on 10- 14- 11 good luck to all the great teams that show up on fri. and sat. and let us race fans enjoy one more great night of the great racing we love to see.

4 members like this post: Downey44, Eatin Dirt, mowerman, Mud Packer
10/13/11, 9:54 PM   #63
Joey Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Racing is like playing "BINGO" when you have a bigger pay out you pay more to get in. I heard they had a $50,000 to win go kart race at Clay City KY. with a $500.00 entry fee and somebody got killed. Them gokarters race hard when they got $500.00 on the line.
NOBODY got killed and I dont recall even a minor injury.

10/13/11, 10:23 PM   #64
burris7555

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloard View Post
I think you are seriously overestimating the lack of financial concern of most teams that consider themselves 'competitive'... if not on the verge of outright insulting the intelligence of those who own, drive, or fund 'competitive' rides.

When a barrel of fuel goes up by $30, we notice and it ultimately impacts the ability of some teams to continue. When diesel goes up by a buck a gallon, we notice and it ultimately impacts the ability of some teams to continue. When tires increase in cost by $20, we notice and it ultimately impacts the ability of some teams to continue. And when the cost to even participate goes up by $20-30 through an entry fee, we notice and it ultimately impacts the ability of some teams to continue.

A guy might own a 20,000 fishing boat as a hobby, but that doesn't mean that he's going to go to the lake if they charge him $30 to drop his boat in the water.

Just to get it straight I am in no way trying to disrespect, or insult anyone's intelligence. Believe me brother, I will pick the underdog any day of the week!

But why get all worked up for paying an entry fee for the last race in our area for the season? It is not a fee that is being mandated to be paid weekly. I would understand if a track was charging a weekly fee to enter a car but it is not the case. It is not an added cost that is figured in weekly such as your examples of tires, and fuel for weekly racing.

Do people to totally expect for the promoter to totally eat the cost, go in the red so to speak? I don't think anyone in Indiana that promotes is getting rich by any means. I know racers/owners are loosing money but face it, everyone involved mentioned above are...

10/13/11, 10:27 PM   #65
bloard

Man I'm trying to stay somewhat positive because this really is a nice event... But for you guys justifying the entry fee by calling this a "big paying show"... C'mon!!

Weekly Show at Kokomo for sprints with no entry fee: 4th place = $625, 5th=$500, 6th = $400, 7th = $325, 8th = $275, 9th = $250.
Kokomo Klash "special" with $30 pit pass and entry fee: 4th place = $500, 5th = $400, 6th = $350, 7th = $300, 8th = $250, 9th = $245.

It's a big event. Thus the justification for the entry fee I suppose along with the inherent promoter risk at this time of year. But a "Big Paying Show" it is NOT.
Last edited by bloard; 10/13/11 at 10:28 PM.

2 members like this post: Cjax6x, STIDA.com
10/13/11, 11:09 PM   #66
sprinter14

We just paid out $8230 in prize money at our BOSS race with no entry fees and no membership fees. The key here is that Wayne County had a packed house. The promoters are doing something right. The show paid for itself at the FRONT gate, not the back gate.

I only have one point here. Track owners who are not doing their homework are relying more and more on the back gate and extra fees because they can't make it at the front gate.

And my above point is not knocking Kokomo or any other track, I don't know them and have not been there in years. My experience comes more from Ohio (especially Southern Ohio) where some of the stuff on my earlier exaggerated post is real (like driving 2 classes, you must buy 2 pit passes)

4 members like this post: racerjim2, Russ, spicoli, wvwildthg
10/13/11, 11:53 PM   #67
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

I guess we the fans in some way are also paying an entry fee --- we are being charged 20.00 instead of the usual 12.00. & no one has said a word. Lets all just go racing & have some fun one more time before it gets cold.

10/14/11, 7:27 AM   #68
bullring

So what you are saying is that each fan is paying an additional $8 entry fee for this special event? LOL

10/14/11, 7:34 AM   #69
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Just a thought,what if this event wasn't happening or ceases to happen,people could sit @ home and voice their concerns about???

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, K9Racer, mowerman, Mud Packer
10/14/11, 8:21 AM   #70
Duane Hancock

So are the sprint cars the only ones getting paid??? NO dont think so, this entire post acts like that is ALL that is racing. What about the midgets? It pays a purse of $5636 and the 16 midgets they get lets say all late entry at $25 = $400 plus lets say ur 3.5 pit passes per car 56x$30= 1680 so 1680+400= 2080 so thats 3556 minus now...n then u got the TQ, and mini sprints too. So it is really no different than say LPS racing 35 to 40 mods on a big sprint show, or Waynesfield having 6 classes of cars on a bigger show, or whatever track, they all add some type of class or classes to bigger shows for a higher pit pass amount and padding the purse for the big shows, just saying.....

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair?