IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 8/19/2023 - Lawrenceburg Spdwy. - Gaines Memorial $3K to Win
8/21/23, 8:04 AM   #21
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Of course they did. The promotor saved $2400 in A-main purse money with the short field of cars. They basically paid $825 more than a weekly purse. Pit passes were $5 more than a regular race. Not sure how much they charge for weekly show grandstands. It was $22 for this race.

1- $3,000, 2- $1,500, 3- $700, 4- $600, 5- $500, 6- $450, 7- $400, 8- $375, 9- $350, 10- $325, 11- $300, 12- $300
Total purse $9200

Weekly sprint car purse $8275
I hope they did but wouldn’t be so sure. Much more to pay out than just the sprint purse. Of course you have the other classes, insurance, track lease, payroll, fuel for track equipment and I’m sure there are other expenses. Race track promoter isn’t a game I’d wanna play

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/21/23, 3:16 PM   #22
Blacki-Suede

Back in the day I played race track promoter at the ‘burg and we were fairly successful. Today I wouldn’t go down that road, to many things have changed - demographics, age of fans, cost of race cars, overhead (insurance, fuel, payroll, lease, maintenance, etc). Unfortunately weekly racing may soon be a thing of the past.

8/21/23, 8:38 PM   #23
Re: 8/19/2023 - Lawrenceburg Spdwy. - Gaines Memorial $3K to
hoosier race fan

I’m not the promoter, nor will I ever be, but I love fantasy booking race schedules. This is just my opinion about what I would try if it was my business venture. I don’t have the money or the proximity to Lawrenceburg to give this a real shot. I find it interesting that the people who complain about young racers coming in and using daddy’s money to buy a ride are often the same people who say “if you know so much then go buy a race track and do it yourself”. You can bet if I had rich daddy money I would be out buying a race track, so I’m going to ignore reality for just a moment to suggest a schedule like this. 10 events - keeping some of the annual events that appear to have been pretty successful and add in a few new shows. 6 Sprint races and 5 races for each of the 3 local classes - Modifieds, Pure Stocks, and Hornets. 2 shows with winged sprints and 2 with late models, plus Midget Week and Night of Destruction.

Lawrenceburg 2024
April 6 - USAC Sprints (plus Modifieds and Hornets)
May 11 - BOSS Sprints (plus Modifieds, Pure Stocks, and Hornets)
May 27 Memorial Day - WoO Sprints (plus Pure Stocks)
June 8 - USAC Midget Week (plus Sprints)
July 6 - Merrill Downey Memorial (Modifieds & Late Models, plus Pure Stocks)
July 21 - USAC Sprint Week (plus Modifieds)
August 3 - Night of Destruction
August 31 Labor Day Weekend - FAST & BOSS Sprints (plus Hornets)
September 13 - Ironman Late Model Series (plus Modifieds, Pure Stocks, and Hornets)
October 5 - USAC Sprints Fall Nationals (plus Pure Stocks and Hornets)

8/21/23, 9:29 PM   #24
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
I’m not the promoter, nor will I ever be, but I love fantasy booking race schedules. This is just my opinion about what I would try if it was my business venture. I don’t have the money or the proximity to Lawrenceburg to give this a real shot. I find it interesting that the people who complain about young racers coming in and using daddy’s money to buy a ride are often the same people who say “if you know so much then go buy a race track and do it yourself”. You can bet if I had rich daddy money I would be out buying a race track, so I’m going to ignore reality for just a moment to suggest a schedule like this. 10 events - keeping some of the annual events that appear to have been pretty successful and add in a few new shows. 6 Sprint races and 5 races for each of the 3 local classes - Modifieds, Pure Stocks, and Hornets. 2 shows with winged sprints and 2 with late models, plus Midget Week and Night of Destruction.

Lawrenceburg 2024
April 6 - USAC Sprints (plus Modifieds and Hornets)
May 11 - BOSS Sprints (plus Modifieds, Pure Stocks, and Hornets)
May 27 Memorial Day - WoO Sprints (plus Pure Stocks)
June 8 - USAC Midget Week (plus Sprints)
July 6 - Merrill Downey Memorial (Modifieds & Late Models, plus Pure Stocks)
July 21 - USAC Sprint Week (plus Modifieds)
August 3 - Night of Destruction
August 31 Labor Day Weekend - FAST & BOSS Sprints (plus Hornets)
September 13 - Ironman Late Model Series (plus Modifieds, Pure Stocks, and Hornets)
October 5 - USAC Sprints Fall Nationals (plus Pure Stocks and Hornets)
My ideas are a lot different save the usac dates and WoO. I think a lot more creativity has to be done and a different direction. Think PORT ROYAL.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/21/23 at 9:32 PM.

1 member likes this post: dirtybob29
8/21/23, 9:33 PM   #25
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
My ideas are a lot different save the usac dates and WoO.
You are IOW/BURG. Let’s hear your survival plan.

2 members like this post: Dirtfan, tirespinner
8/21/23, 9:56 PM   #26
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
My ideas are a lot different save the usac dates and WoO. I think a lot more creativity has to be done and a different direction. Think PORT ROYAL.
I’d like to see what you have in mind. I loved the Lucas Oil Late Model races Lawrenceburg used to have, which ironically went away a few years ago and were replaced by a high paying race for that series at Port Royal. I looked at the major late model and sprint car series schedules before I made my suggestion, and I was having a tough time finding places to add shows at Lawrenceburg. I thought about an XR Series or FloRacing Series race on a week night but I know streaming services are like an ex-wife to promoters in Indiana.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55
8/21/23, 10:15 PM   #27
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
You are IOW/BURG. Let’s hear your survival plan.

Oh, It's a lt's a lot of If's and ideas.

I'll see if I got time tomorrow to mention it all. Im sure some would work. The others take some hard work in scheduling and cooperation.

8/21/23, 10:26 PM   #28
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
I’d like to see what you have in mind. I loved the Lucas Oil Late Model races Lawrenceburg used to have, which ironically went away a few years ago and were replaced by a high paying race for that series at Port Royal. I looked at the major late model and sprint car series schedules before I made my suggestion, and I was having a tough time finding places to add shows at Lawrenceburg. I thought about an XR Series or FloRacing Series race on a week night but I know streaming services are like an ex-wife to promoters in Indiana.
The Date Lucas Ran LM's was moved to Mansfield and Ironically that track doesn't exist anymore. Im thinking the Wed's prior to North South or make a bigger Latham weekend. Possible Hell Tour Week date. Gotta be something that will pull both numbers of cars and fans.

That deal is like WoO. Start at a Hundred Grand and add to it to even get the date. It's just not as simple anymore as saying, Here's the date. It pays umpteen thou and you'll have a big count and crowd. Everyone that has dates that work has em already.

8/22/23, 6:58 AM   #29
cmiracingvids

Love to see High Limit there sometime.

8/22/23, 8:18 PM   #30
Wingman

Bring the All-Stars “Hoosier Fall Classic” back.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 8/19/2023 - Lawrenceburg Spdwy. - Gaines Memorial $3K to Win