IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC sprint car drivers Jim Hurtibise & Sonny Ates "nose to nose" - 16 July 1967
1/6/10, 11:57 PM   #21
Re: USAC sprint car drivers Jim Hurtibise & Sonny Ates "nose to nose" - 16 July 1
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Banks View Post
About four or five years ago I received a call at Salem Speedway from Sonny. He had just moved back to Indiana from Louisiana and was living in nearby Henryville. He and his wife came to the Joe James/Pat O’Connor race that summer as our guests. He was very appreciative and said they would definitely return in the future for more races. I haven’t seen or talked to him since that day. I have also heard that he was battling some health issues.
Sonny Ates lives Phoenix now, he is still very nice as always he most likely never see Indiana again. Butch Wilkerson #1

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
1/7/10, 8:13 PM   #22
Re: USAC sprint car drivers Jim Hurtibise & Sonny Ates "nose to nose" - 16 July 1
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce harrison View Post
from wikipedia:
Charles "sonny" ates (born march 28, 1935, sellersburg, indiana) is a retired american race car driver.

Ates raced in the usac championship car series in the 1968-1970 seasons, with 15 career starts, including the 1969 indianapolis 500 (finished 17th). He finished in the top ten 5 times, with his best finish in 5th position in 1968 at brooklyn.

I believe he held the 1-lap track records at winchester, salem, & dayton at 1 time while driving the #93.
wrong sonny was born in west monroe la. Now living in scottsville az. Not in good health!

1/8/10, 3:58 PM   #23
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
wrong sonny was born in west monroe la. Now living in scottsville az. Not in good health!
Duke,

I had heard or read that Sonny was born in Louisiana. He lived in Sellersburg, IN during his racing days, but that was not his birthplace.
I visited the Gharst Museum in Greenville, OH a few years ago where the #93 Iddings car is on display. I mentioned to the docent that I had seen the car race many times and the driver was Charles "Sonny" Ates. She told me that he had recently visited the museum and was living in Alabama at that time.
I mentioned that the car was based on a stretched midget. She said that I was the second person to say that, and asked what that meant. I was quite impressed that the somewhat elderly lady docent was so interested in the sprint car and its history.

4 members like this post: FishBurger, Mud Packer, TQ29m, Xflagman
1/8/10, 8:42 PM   #24
SUPERDUKE
Banned

henry meyer built the car very light wieght coil over car that ran as a champ car with a 255 offy and then he would shorten the wheel base and put in a 220 offy and run it as a sprint car! It raced many times in both divisions very smart and nice man!

1/9/10, 10:10 AM   #25
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
henry meyer built the car very light wieght coil over car that ran as a champ car with a 255 offy and then he would shorten the wheel base and put in a 220 offy and run it as a sprint car! It raced many times in both divisions very smart and nice man!
DUKE, my father told me that same story about that car back in the 60's

1/9/10, 8:16 PM   #26
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
I saw Don Branson win a feature at New Bremen in the Iddings car. I'm also, pretty sure Allen Crowe died in that car at New Bremen in 1963.
Cecil I found this;

Allen Crowe

In Memory of Allen Crowe

November 12, 1928 - June 2, 1963

Born in York, Illinois, Crowe died in New Bremen, Ohio

from injuries sustained in a Sprint Car Race at New Bremen Speedway.

He drove in the USAC Championship Car Series,

racing in the 1961 - 1963 seasons with 15 starts,

including the 1962 and 1963 Indianapolis 500 Races. He finished in the top ten 6 times,

with his best finish in 5th position in 1962 at Syracuse.

Allen cut his eye teeth at Springfield's Speedway. Starting in the Stock Cars and moving

and moving up fast, he soon became a first class chauffer. It was a real honor to see Allen

driving with the Best of U.S.A.C. and be able to herald him as a local driver.
From this website http://springfieldsspeedway.webs.com
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing
Last edited by Indy1808; 1/9/10 at 8:18 PM. Reason: ad on web credit

1/9/10, 10:31 PM   #27
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1808 View Post
Cecil I found this;

Allen Crowe

In Memory of Allen Crowe

November 12, 1928 - June 2, 1963

Born in York, Illinois, Crowe died in New Bremen, Ohio

from injuries sustained in a Sprint Car Race at New Bremen Speedway.

He drove in the USAC Championship Car Series,

racing in the 1961 - 1963 seasons with 15 starts,

including the 1962 and 1963 Indianapolis 500 Races. He finished in the top ten 6 times,

with his best finish in 5th position in 1962 at Syracuse.

Allen cut his eye teeth at Springfield's Speedway. Starting in the Stock Cars and moving

and moving up fast, he soon became a first class chauffer. It was a real honor to see Allen

driving with the Best of U.S.A.C. and be able to herald him as a local driver.
From this website http://springfieldsspeedway.webs.com
Thank you for the info, Indy1808!! I was 9 years old and in the infield on the back straight when he died. I'm almost positive it was the Iddings car.

1/14/10, 12:55 PM   #28
SonnyAtes

WOW....Boy oh boy a walk down the Ole Memorie lane....At least for my Dad "SONNY ATES" We enjoyed reading all this stuff. While reading it to dad he enjoyed that he had so many wonderful "Fan & Followers.
Thank You all....even SuperDuke who had Dads info right.
The Ates Family Reside in Scottsdale Arizona. Wife Judy, Son Danna and daughter Dee in Tucson. Sonny & Judy enjoying living in the warm "Sunny State" with their Three Grandkids, and five Greatgrandkids.
Sonny "Dads" health isn't the best but he always enjoys communication form all of you. We had a little Chuckle over my mother rescuing a fans brother for heat Stroke...LOL Anyone wishing to stop by and say hello at judy_ates@hotmail.com
Dad is turning 75 March 28 this year...(2010)
Last edited by SonnyAtes; 1/14/10 at 12:56 PM. Reason: color

5 members like this post: billwill7, IndyBound, Midwest Connection, TQ29m, Xflagman
1/14/10, 9:54 PM   #29
TQ29m

Good to hear from you, about your Dad. I lost track of him, probably in the mid 50's, after I left my job, at the "other" Ford garage in Columbus, and went to work where everyone else did, at Cummin's Engine Co. I knew he had ran TQ's, but never knew of his other accomplishments, which are quite extrordinary, to say the least, who would have ever thought a guy doing tuneups, on the "worlds" first, in ground auto dyno, would become! Yep, Mahan's had a drive on auto dyno, where the mechanic could impress the car owner with what the car needed. A BIG deal in those days. I doubt Sonny would remember me, but there is a chance, tell him hello for me, and good luck, nice to hear of his achievements, that was a long time ago, he's got 3 years on me, and back then, that was a lot. Again, thanks for bringing us up to date, and keep us posted. Bob McClure
Last edited by TQ29m; 1/14/10 at 9:56 PM. Reason: someone had to

2/18/10, 1:10 PM   #30
Uncle_Charlie

[QUOTE=Ovalmeister;152191]I remember that car and Sonny well. My brother passed out, on a seriously hot muggy day at Winchester, and Sonny's wife happened to be right there. She sprung into action with towels soaked with cold cooler water and was very nice and helpful. My brother was a big fan of Sonny (and his wife) after that.
David.

My father, Dick Dwenger, crashed hard at Martinsville back in 1968. Sonny and his wife took me and my little brother Larry into there home for about a week untill mom could come home from the hospital. I will always remember his calming voice and mannerism. He is a true friend to many.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC sprint car drivers Jim Hurtibise & Sonny Ates "nose to nose" - 16 July 1967