IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015
9/23/14, 1:01 PM   #61
Re: Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 201
captrat

Why are they going to be winged? If you are trying to create a feeder system for the predominant style of car in your region it seems counter-productive.

7 members like this post: bowbuild, Charles Nungester, DAD, PJ Wright, spicoli, team3521, worm
9/23/14, 2:40 PM   #62
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Why are they going to be winged? If you are trying to create a feeder system for the predominant style of car in your region it seems counter-productive.
Cap

We have always thought of them things as trainer wheels. They help if you get in the turn a little fast or try to back it in just a tad too much + if you should happen to flip they sure cushion that contact with the track and eat up a lot of dangerous energy. A lot of guys swing both ways and do quite well either way, great way to start especially if you are related to the driver.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 9/23/14 at 2:41 PM.

9/23/14, 2:40 PM   #63
Stevensville Mike

This is a good topic. It is like watching a professional wrestling battle royal!

I'd like to jump in but I think I'll stay outside the ring and just watch for now.

4 members like this post: jjracer636, PIT CART, team3521, The Old Coyote
9/23/14, 2:46 PM   #64
DAD

Steve

Whenever I went to a Pro wrestling match it always looked much safer in the ring with the wrestlers than out there with the local youkles in the bleachers, unless the locals decided to invade the ring.

Honest Dad himself

9/23/14, 2:57 PM   #65
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Yeah, Some start in Mini's but most started in Quarters and Karts. Where was the training wheels there?

2 members like this post: PIT CART, worm
9/23/14, 2:58 PM   #66
Mrs G
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
This is a good topic. It is like watching a professional wrestling battle royal!

I'd like to jump in but I think I'll stay outside the ring and just watch for now.
I was just sitting here thinking, I wonder what Bill would be saying right about now?

9/23/14, 3:12 PM   #67
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Yeah, Some start in Mini's but most started in Quarters and Karts. Where was the training wheels there?
Charles

1/4 midgets was on asphalt mostly, We raced two years in Go Karts until Doug turned 13 I was never so glad to leave one form of racing in my life. They used the drivers head for a roll bar and them seats pretty well held you in until you stopped rolling. Most tracks always kept at least 2 Ambulances and some time 3, one at the track one on the way to the Hospital and one coming Back from the Hospital.

I felt Much Much better with that big old wing over his head.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: jjracer636
9/23/14, 3:48 PM   #68
Phylo82

Quarter Midgets are a great way for a new driver to learn racing. If you can develop your skills and be successful on a tiny QM track you can race anything anywhere. Some of the better young drivers I have seen started in QMs. It's a good time and relatively inexpensive compared to other forms of racing........and when they flip you just turn them over and away they go!

Most enjoyable time I've ever had with racing was the four years we spent at Mini Indy.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, DAD, Mattmac05, Tom23
9/23/14, 4:13 PM   #69
torqueball

I've tried to stay to stay out of this, but I just don't have the ability. I am a huge supporter of Bloomington Speedway and hope this class works out for all involved. With that being said, I just don't understand the pros of this new endeavor. Its no secret that all tracks are seeing lower car counts and spectator counts than in years past. Is this due to a shortage of non wing sprintcars in the Midwest? I would say no and would venture to say that there are more cars sitting on stands in a shop than racing on a typical Indiana Friday night. Will this new 305 idea draw these cars out of hiding? Only time will tell. My fear is that the same people that swear "if I could afford an engine I'd be out here" will still be spectating and not racing. I have mini-sprint people tell me this weekly, and my response is always the same. You can run a non-wing 410 in Indiana for the same money as your pumping into your mini-sprint. I feel the current non-wing setup is your most economical and easiest formula to police that is currently out there. For a new guy, he can buy a turn key operation for around 20 grand that is capable of racing and winning. I realize that 20 grand isn't pocket change, but you better have that in your 305 spec motor if you plan on winning races while dragging a wing around. When you start limiting horsepower, things get expensive. My final question, will the paying public come in droves to witness the sheer awesomeness of an underpowered lead sled lumber around the red clay? Only time will tell.

Danny

9/23/14, 4:51 PM   #70
Jerry Shaw

While I'm not a wing fan per se, I'd have to say this is a very interesting move by Bloomington Speedway. For one, they're going to try something that is totally outside the box, as far as Indiana racing programs are concerned. A paradigm shift, if you will. Will it work? I don't know. But, I admire anybody who is willing to take a gamble to shake things up a little bit. And you have to admit, there are few things they could have done that would have generated a bigger dust storm of debate, than what this has. And lively, respectful debate is one the the reasons the man created IOW.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 9/23/14 at 10:21 PM.

4 members like this post: davidm, jjracer636, Mattmac05, Mrs G
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015