IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Damion Gardner Ready for Another Title Interview
3/1/15, 10:46 PM   #1
Damion Gardner Ready for Another Title Interview
Scott Daloisio

Perris Auto Speedway
18700 Lake Perris Drive
Perris, CA 92571
(951) 940-0134
http://perrisautospeedway.com/

For further information contact Scott Daloisio (909) 226-7768 or mailto:racesatthepas@aol.com

For Immediate Release

DAMION GARDNER READY FOR ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP RUN IN 2015!

(Perris, CA, March 1, 2015) When Perris Auto Speedway kicks off its 20th anniversary season this Saturday night, March 7th, with the Sokola Shooutout for the Amsoil USAC/CRA Sprint Cars, most eyes will be on two-time defending series champion Damion Gardner of Concord, California. The slender driver dominated the prestigious series and 2014 and he will be ready to rumble when the first green flag of the season flies on Saturday night. What could be bad news for the remainder of the competition is the fact that Gardner thinks he can be more dominant in 2015 than he was last year.

On Friday, the racing star took some time from his always busy schedule to talk about a multitude of topics including his off season, off track work, the Mark Alexander team he drives for, Bonneville, his 2014 success and his expectations for 2015.

Q: What have you been doing all winter? Have you been getting ready to race?

Gardner: Did the family stuff around the holidays and then the Chili Bowl. Been doing some side work for All Coast Construction and some other guys I know down in L.A.

Q: Sounds like you are down this way quite a lot now rather than being home in Concord?

Gardner: Yeah. That was not my intent, but it just kind of worked out that way because that is where the work has been. Plus I hang out at Shavers (Shave Racing Engines) doing some stuff for him. My big plan to move home (home to Concord two years ago) has not quite worked out.

Q: You had one job that was very interesting and got some television coverage on the news here. Refurbishing some neon light art. What was that all about?

Gardner: A guy named Michael Haden, a neon artist back in the 80’s, had put up some neon artwork in the International Jewelry Center in downtown Los Angeles. Mike Grosswendt from All Coast Construction helped Mike Haden put it up originally. So, he had some interest in it from the beginning. So Mike Haden, Mike Grosswendt and the building got together and wanted it restored to bring it back to life. Mike (Grosswendt) had seen what I could do with the Bonneville car (fabricating) and asked if I could to do it and wanted to do it. I had done some other work for him and thought this would be something different. I spent three or four months restoring it.

Q: So, you spent a lot of time down there. It was not a two week job.

Gardner: No! It is about 300-feet long and 50 something neon tubes. It was quite a project.

Q: Earlier you mentioned the Chili Bowl. You came from the back of the pack all the way to finish third this year. With a few more laps, do you think you could have caught the top two?

Gardner: I don’t know. I pretty much would have needed a yellow. The car could be good at the race and be good in the middle, but it is kind of hard to have a car be good for 50-laps and be good at the end. I think you saw with me and Kevin and everybody, we were good, but in the last five or seven laps we just kind of went flat. It gets where nobody is really gaining on anybody else. But with a yellow, who knows. I am sure we all would have mixed it up and it would have got interesting, but I probably would not have gotten there. You never know.

Q: How much do you like the Chili Bowl?

Gardner: Every year I hate going there. It is the wrong time of year. The holidays are fun, but you do not relax because you are running around here and there with your family. Just about the time January comes around you can start to relax, but you have to run off to the Chili Bowl. I usually dread going and people know I am complaining, but once I get there I enjoy it. It is a lot of fun. It is a lot of standing around and not racing and that part kind of bothers me. When you are actually driving the car and racing, I like that a lot. I have had some decent success there and have been fortunate to have driven some good cars there.

Q: Talking about good cars, you drive a good car out here for Mark Alexander. You guys were named National Sprint Car Hall of Fame Team of the Year last season. Anything new going on with that car for 2015?

Gardner: Not really. Just more of the same. It is a sweet blend of me and them. They kind of let me mess with the shocks and do some stuff there. I have some new stuff we are going to do with the shocks that we are going to try out this year. We tested the other night and things went pretty well. We have some new Willwood brake stuff. Nothing major. I have been fortunate to be with some real good manufacturers who work with me on making things better or just faster. We are going to just keep doing what we have been doing.

Q: Same people making up that crew this year?

Gardner: Yeah, the same people. We have a great crew. Between Mark and Steve Alexander (brothers), Mark does most of the work at home during the week and Steve does the work at the track. We have a great bunch of guys and we have a lot of them, but it is works out good. The work always gets done. I really have to thank Mark and Steve along with Ken from Scott Sales. They have a car for me that is always ready to win.

Q: Tony Jones raved about those guys when he drove for them and actually won their first USAC/CRA championship in 2007. What makes them so special?

Gardner: It is kind of crazy, because with that many guys, things tend to not get done. There are too many guys and things can get overlooked. Anytime you have guys shifting and one guy doing the work during the week and another doing the work on the weekends, you would think things would get lost in translation. But, they somehow put it all together. Like I said, Mark does all the work during the week and he does a great job. He loves that car. Then Steve comes in and does it on the weekends. Somehow they hand it off to each other really well. Then you have Rick, he is always around and there are a lot of fill in guys and they are all real good and have all been around each other for a long time. I think that is what makes it work. And, they really love the racing. They have a passion for it.

Q: How long did it take for you to click with those guys?

Gardner: Actually right away. They wanted to know what I wanted and what I wanted to do. I told them let’s not do anything. Just do what you guys normally do and if we have to change anything we will change it. They were all about it and that is another thing that makes them really good. Whatever they need to do to win, they are willing to do it. They are all about winning. Pride never gets in the way of anything. So I think we clicked right away. There were just some small things. Change this thing and go a little bit faster. Change that and go a little bit faster. Me and Steve bounce stuff off each other. Steve is kind of like a Bromme (Bruce Bromme Jr.) or kind of like when I was with Vinny (Vince Latner). He kind of keeps me grounded. I will kind of come up with some good ideas or kind of step out of the box and he kind of knows how to reel me back in some times.

Q: You had a great year in 2014. Were you totally satisfied with it?

Gardner: Yeah. It was kind of whirlwindish with the work I did for Bonneville and just racing. There was a lot of work, but it was great. I just wanted to do have a way better year than I did the year before. I just wanted to separate myself from the rest of the people and just clearly be faster. I hope we did that. I think we did. It was just a fun ride. Winning so many times and winning a few in a row. It is just fun to work on the car with the guys and seeing the progress and see it all help.

Q: You had more fast times, more heat races win, more main event wins than anyone else and you won the championship for the second year in a row. Can you do better this year?

Gardner: Oh, I think so. Obviously you have to have luck on your side. When luck is not going your way you have to weather the storm. Sometimes and someday it is just going to snowball and it will try to beat you down. But, you just have to weather the storm, keep on doing what you are doing and work through it. You will come out on the other side and get on a roll. It is definitely possible that we will have a better year and that is what we are aiming for.

Q: At this point in your career, what is more important, winning races or winning a championship?

Gardner: I don’t know. Championships are something people always asked me about. I feel different about them than I did when I was younger. We care about them whether we say do or don’t. At the end of the day you just want to be the faster guy out there. At the end of the day when people leave you want them to be talking that you are the guy who won or ought to have one. You want to be the guy they are talking about. I believe if you do that, you will win championships and a lot of races. I have learned to win championships compared to when I was younger. I did not quite understand how to do it. Guys used to tell me that I had to know when I had to finish third. I had no idea what they were talking about. I did not have any clue. I have a little more of a clue now.

Q: The one race of yours I remember most from 2014 you did not win. It was if I remember correctly in May at Perris Auto Speedway. Early in the race you got into a tangle with two other cars going into turn three. You did not flip, but you were in the wall and another car flipped and landed on top of you. You jumped out and had a look and as soon as your guys got it back to the work area they went to work on it and did the best they could, but the car was bent bad. You amazed a lot of people that night when you restarted at the back and drove all the way through the pack to finish second in a trashed car. Most guys would have parked it. What makes you different?

Gardner: As far as the car being bent and broke and me coming back out, I have always had a never give up attitude. When I had my own team with the #20 car (when he first came to run without a wing), we did not quit no matter whether we were a lap down or whatever it was. We just did not quit working. I drive the same way and expect my crew to work the same way. I ask the same thing out of my guys that I ask of myself. It is just easy when you do that. At the end of the day when we are all done and sitting at the table, I don’t ever want to look back and say, ‘what if we had done this?’ I want to know we got every best finish we could, got every point we could and did all we could do. At the end of the day if you can say that, that is all there is. You never quit whether you are trying to come from the back or you are racing for the lead. When you start at the back, you just cannot slow down to race everybody else. You just have to race through them (to get to the front).

Q: You had a wild flip at the Oval Nationals. A lot of altitude and your car ended up stuck on top of the billboards and had to be cut down. Any injuries that nobody knew about?

Gardner: No, no injuries. There was a lot of flipping and probably the fence (billboards) took all the shock. If I had landed on the ground or flipped out of the park and landed on the dirt behind, it would have hurt a lot more. The fence took most of it.

Q: You are the “World’s Fastest Sprint Car Driver” at over 211 MPH. You told me last year you would not be back at Bonneville this year. Have you changed your mind?

Gardner: No, we are not going back. Maybe someday if I get some sponsors who want me to go back. I am pretty happy with going 211 and being the first guy over 200. The whole experience was just phenomenal. I cannot thank all of the guys who made it happen enough. The whole experience was tremendous, but I am okay with it now. We could probably squeeze a few more miles per hour out of the car. We would probably have to go and redesign some things. I am okay with leaving it where it is for now.

Q: What are the racing plans this year? Just the USAC/CRA Series or do you have anything else lined up?

Gardner: Same. Do the USAC/CRA thing. I may go do some midget stuff with Bob East and Terry Klatt. We flirt every year with going back east for Sprint Week, but that will be up to the Alexander’s to see what they want to do. Just kind of weighing it and just going along. I don’t mind doing that other stuff, but if we just decide to do the USAC/CRA thing I am fine with that and we will just keep the hammer down there.

Q: You just mentioned possibly going back east. You stayed back there and raced several seasons. Do you miss racing back there?

Gardner: No, not really. Our schedule is twenty some races out here and needs to get up a little more. You need to be pushing 30 or so races. I think the economy is coming back and cars are back. Guys went and played around with the 360 deal they saw it is same deal. Not real profitable. Those guys are coming back. We just do not have anyone really guiding the 410 deal (out here) and giving it direction. I think you could get some more races if you had a little more focus on it. You could get some more cars and some more fans coming out. Hopefully we can get the fans to come out and they will enjoy the show.

Spectator gates will open at 5:00 PM on March 7th and racing will begin at 7:00. The PAS Senior and Young Gun Sprint Cars will join the USAC/CRA stars on the triple header card.

Advance tickets for all events at The PAS, with the exception of the World of Outlaws, are available 24 hours a day by calling 1-800-595-4849 or online at http://pas.tix.com/Schedule.aspx?OrgNum=7. Advance tickets for the World of Outlaws can also be obtained via phone or online at 1-877-395-8606 or http://dirtcar.ticketforce.com/order...rl=default.asp

For more information on The PAS call: (951) 940-0134.

Camping is available for $25.00 per night for all PAS events. The campground opens at noon the day before each event. Tailgating in the spectator parking lot will begin at 1:00 PM for all PAS events as well.

Perris Auto Speedway wants to thank its corporate sponsors for the 2015 season. AA Lynco Painting, All Coast Construction, All Seasons Tree Repair, Amsoil, Ayers Hotel and Spa, Budweiser, California Budget Finance, CamGuard, Champion Towing, City of Perris, Perris Com Ecco, Daytona Boat & RV Storage, Drop Zone, Edelbrock, Engine Pro, Harry’s Café, HD Industries, Horizon Solar, K&N Engineering, Livingwaters Hospice, Luke’s Transmission, Marjon RV, Moon Nursery, P.I.P.E., Paul Oil Company, Pepsi-Cola, Pick-A-Part Auto Salvage, Pizza Factory, Red Lion Inns and Suites, Robert Dempster, Scott Sales, Shaver Racing Engines, Sherwin-Williams, Stassines Cross, Square H, Swedish Speed, Town & Country Golf Carts, Trench Shoring, US Foods and Valley News.

To keep up with all of the latest Perris Auto Speedway news, photos, gossip and receive special offers, sign up at The PAS Facebook site at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Perri...8686480?ref=hl

You can also keep up with the latest news and receive special offers from The PAS Twitter site: Perris Auto Speedway on Twitter.

Video and DVD productions of all racing events at Perris Auto Speedway are available from Loudpedal Productions. For more information on these productions you can contact them by calling (805) 844-3854, E-mailing mailto:trtruex@gmail.com or you can visit the web site LoudPedal Productions

Perris Auto Speedway is located on the Lake Perris Fairgrounds (home of October’s Southern California Fair), approximately one hour east of Los Angeles and one hour North of San Diego. To get to the track, take the 215 freeway, exit on the Ramona Expressway and go three miles east to the fairgrounds.

racesatthepas@aol.com is the only authorized Internet address to issue official media news released from The Perris Auto Speedway or Oval Entertainment.

2015 PERRIS AUTO SPEEDWAY SCHEDULE

February 21 OPEN PRACTICE - Pit Gate Opens at 3:00, Grandstands open FREE to the Fans
March 7 "SOKOLA SHOOTOUT" USAC/CRA Sprint Cars, PAS Senior Sprints
and PAS Young Guns. "Power of Purple Night" Benefiting the City of Perris Relay For Life and The American Cancer Society
March 14 PASSCAR SERIES - Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds and Factory Stocks
March 28 NIGHT OF DESTRUCTION I - Demo Cross, Figure 8's, Trailer Figure 8's and
Spectator Racing. "Power of Purple Night" Benefiting the City of Perris Relay For Life and The American Cancer Society
April 11 PASSCAR SERIES - Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds and Factory Stocks
April 18 WORLD OF OUTLAWS, USAC/CRA Sprint Cars and PAS Senior Sprints.
"Power of Purple Night" Benefiting the City of Perris Relay For Life and
The American Cancer Society
April 25 NIGHT OF DESTRUCTION II - Demo Cross, Figure 8's, Trailer Figure 8's and
Spectator Racing
May 2 USAC/CRA Sprint Cars, PAS Senior Sprints and PAS Young Guns
May 16 PASSCAR SERIES - Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds and Factory Stocks
May 23 "SALUTE TO INDY" USAC/CRA Sprint Cars (40 Lap Main Event), PAS Senior Sprints, PAS Young Guns and California Lightning Sprints.
"Power of Purple Night" Benefiting the City of Perris Relay For Life and
The American Cancer Society
June 6 NIGHT OF DESTRUCTION III - Demo Cross, Figure 8's, Trailer Figure 8's, Spectator Race and a Block Party
June 13 USAC/CRA Sprint Cars, PAS Senior Sprints and PAS Young Guns
June 27 PASSCAR SERIES - Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds and Factory Stocks
July 4 "FIRECRACKER 40 & SKY CONCERT" USAC/CRA Sprint Cars, PAS Senior Sprints, PAS Young Guns and California Lightning Sprints
"Power of Purple Night" Benefiting the City of Perris Relay For Life and The American Cancer Society.
July 18 PASSCAR SERIES - Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds, Factory Stocks, and CDCRA Dwarf Cars
July 25 NIGHT OF DESTRUCTION IV - Demo Cross, Figure 8's, Trailer Figure 8's and Spectator Racing
August 15 "CALIFORNIA RACERS HALL OF FAME NIGHT" USAC/CRA Sprint Cars, PAS Senior Sprints, PAS Young Guns and California Lightning Sprints
August 29 PASSCAR SERIES - Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds and Factory Stocks
September 5 NIGHT OF DESTRUCTION V - Demo Cross, Figure 8's, Trailer Figure 8's, Spectator Race and a Block Party
September 12 PASSCAR SERIES - Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds and Factory Stocks
September 19 "GLENN HOWARD CLASSIC" USAC/CRA Sprint Cars, PAS Senior Sprints, PAS Young Guns and California Lightning Sprints
October 3 11th Southern California Fair
October 24 PASSCAR "Champions Night" - Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds, Factory Stocks, and CDCRA Dwarf Cars
November 11 Oval Nationals Practice
November 12 20th Annual Oval Nationals USAC National and USAC/CRA Sprint Cars
November 13 20th Annual Oval Nationals USAC National and USAC/CRA Sprint Cars
November 14 20th Annual Oval Nationals USAC National and USAC/CRA Sprint Cars
November 25 Turkey Night Grand Prix Practice
November 26 Agajanian Promotions and Oval Entertainment, LLC Presents the 75th Running of The Turkey Night Grand Prix - USAC NATIONAL AND WESTERN STATES MIDGETS
NOTE; THIS SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO C

2 members like this post: Deansnuts, i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Damion Gardner Ready for Another Title Interview