IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Birdcages Wing and Non-wing
3/1/15, 12:18 PM   #1
Birdcages Wing and Non-wing
TrevorMoody9

Sorry, this might be a dumb question, but what is the difference in the non-wing and winged birdcages?
Thank you,
Trevor Moody

3/1/15, 12:52 PM   #2
Whit11B

The distance between the radius rod and torsion arm bolt points. Nonwing are usually further apart.

3/1/15, 5:42 PM   #3
treecitytornado

Most Non-Wing cages have dual pick-up points. Calling them Non-Wing is misleading in my opinion. You can use them with either depending on how low you run the car and your desired arm angle when the driver is in it.

My question is how much arm angle up in the air is too much? Nobody ever, I mean ever gives a straight answer on that question!
Last edited by treecitytornado; 3/1/15 at 5:43 PM.

1 member likes this post: t_inmyface
3/1/15, 7:36 PM   #4
Re: Birdcages Wing and Non-wing
Can26

Straight answer, What do you and your car like? That's the ONLY answer.

4 members like this post: fish, oppweld, PIT CART, sprintracer82
3/1/15, 8:11 PM   #5
TrevorMoody9

Thanks for the responses!

3/20/15, 3:24 AM   #6
jhobbs26

From my understanding, non-wing cars run a lower rear ride height (5 inches?) and since this puts too much upward angle on the torsion arm, the birdcages have a lower pickup to obtain this "ideal" arm angle.

With that being said, and i'm fairly new to sprint cars, but have a knowledgable understanding of a modified/latemodel 4 link and the geometery/physics behind that complicated suspension. Back to sprints, the upper radius rods have multiple holes to adjust them to on the chassis. Does raising the radius rod apply more force to that tire? Its my understanding that it does, correct me if i'm wrong. How does torsion arm angle effect forces being applied to that tire. More downward or upward angle from cage to frame have more or less force applied or vice versa?

I've always been an out of the box thinker, and obviously that doesn't work in sprint cars because their suspension has not changed in 40 years. Its been tried, but seems to me it goes back to the std. bar car setup. I'm wondering if a guy had dual pickup point cages on a wing car, if staggering the pickups would create more or less drive off the corner, and what side would need to be in the top hole or bottom hole pickup? Surely someone has tried this before?
Last edited by jhobbs26; 3/20/15 at 3:25 AM.

2 members like this post: fasster23, SWScaleChassis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Birdcages Wing and Non-wing