IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Perris info
3/1/15, 9:14 PM   #11
RichH

I'm taking 3 local newbies and the envy of my snow bound buds back in Indiana/Ohio.
Thanks to all for the info.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing
3/1/15, 10:21 PM   #12
Re: Perris info
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
This midwest snowbird is really looking forward to my first visit to Perris Speedway next weekend. Any tips on where to sit, park ,eat etc. appreciated. Thanks.
Rich, we've been out to The PAS 4 times since 2002, the most recent was the 2012 Turkey Night Grand Prix. You're gonna' love this place!

When we were at the Ovals a few years ago we stayed at the Hampton in Temecula. Temecula is only a 1/2 hour up the 215 to Ramona Expr. Other times we've been to The PAS we've stayed in Hemet, Riverside and Ontario (we flew into ONT and it was easy to get the rental car back). By far Temecula was the best experience for us. Riverside and Ontario were just okay but stay away from Hemet.

In regards to seating, if your 1/2 way up or higher in the grandstands anywhere on the front straightaway you'll have good sight lines all around the track.

The parking fee is what it is and California is, after all, California, but if there is a weather postponement the fairgrounds will hit you the full price for parking, again, even though you might have a parking card or admittance rain check from the rain-out. This happened to us the second time we were at the Ovals and the rain date was the next night! But again, it is what it is and they get away with it.

Your gonna' love the PA system they have at The PAS and Scott is one of the best announcers we've ever heard at a racetrack.

Hope you have good weather and a GREAT time.

2 members like this post: oldfan49, RichH
3/1/15, 11:32 PM   #13
Scott Daloisio

Give the Ayres Hotel and Spa in Moreno Valley a call and ask for the "Perris Auto Speedway Rate." We have a new hotel as well this year (Red Lion Inns and Suites), but sitting here at home on Sunday I have no details where or any rate deals.

The $8.00 parking is a fact. Charged by the fairgrounds. Actually, as crazy as it sounds, $8.00 to park your car at most events here in So. Cal. is a deal.

The parking deal with a rainout and charging to park again only happened that one time at the Ovals as promoter got after them for that. I got my ass in trouble that night as well as I told the crowd to call and ask for the fair manager and gave the office phone number. By 9:30 the next morning they were inundated with calls of complaints and their phone system was swamped and no other calls were getting through.

Rain should not be an issue this week. Saturday is supposed to be clear with a high of around 80 in the day. Be sure to bring a jacket, though as we are on the edge of the desert and it can get chilly at night (especially this time of the year).

As for the traffic, it can be a major pain. If you can, stay off the 91 and 10. The 60 is a lot easier to navigate as it is the least crowded.
Last edited by Scott Daloisio; 3/1/15 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Adding

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ISF, oldfan49, RichH
3/1/15, 11:49 PM   #14
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio View Post
Give the Ayres Hotel and Spa in Moreno Valley a call and ask for the "Perris Auto Speedway Rate." We have a new hotel as well this year (Red Lion Inns and Suites), but sitting here at home on Sunday I have no details where or any rate deals.

The $8.00 parking is a fact. Charged by the fairgrounds. Actually, as crazy as it sounds, $8.00 to park your car at most events here in So. Cal. is a deal.

The parking deal with a rainout and charging to park again only happened that one time at the Ovals as promoter got after them for that. I got my ass in trouble that night as well as I told the crowd to call and ask for the fair manager and gave the office phone number. By 9:30 the next morning they were inundated with calls of complaints and their phone system was swamped and no other calls were getting through.

Rain should not be an issue this week. Saturday is supposed to be clear with a high of around 80 in the day. Be sure to bring a jacket, though as we are on the edge of the desert and it can get chilly at night (especially this time of the year).

As for the traffic, it can be a major pain. If you can, stay off the 91 and 10. The 60 is a lot easier to navigate as it is the least crowded.
Scott, I was at the Ovals that night it rained and you announced over the PA to call the fair manager. I actually tried to call the number you gave out but it was busy for a long time! LOL!!

I apologize for the erroneous info regarding the rainout parking policy. That's the only time we've been to The PAS that weather was a problem.

If I remember correctly you weren't the only one who got their ass in trouble that night. It seems there were some drivers doing some hot laps on 4-wheeler's on the wet track that night after the races had been called. It didn't go over real well. I remember at least one of those drivers' names but I am loath to post it here! LOL!!

3/2/15, 12:07 AM   #15
Danny Burton

Rich, I went out to Perris for the Oval Nationals in November, 2011 and loved every minute, of course. This was the train trip that was supposed to include Marv and me, but Marv had to back out for family reasons. But he sent me on ahead by myself.

Stayed at the aforementioned Best Western in Moreno Valley and it was indeed a short trip down to Perris. Ran into nonwingsjeff, who was at the same motel. Saw Jonesy and was able to visit with Bob and Monica a good bit. Met a super guy named Bill Mackey, a true travelin' man. Ran into Mr. Wags himself, Ken Wagner, who at one point gave me a ride on his golf cart.

Scott did a great job on the PA and the late Ms. Evelyn Pratt owned the pits.

It does rain in SoCal, at least it did when I was there. This gave us two race programs in one day. And it was a bit chilly after that rain. But I didn't care; I was at a new track and not just any track.

Finally, Rich, if you are tired of beer , please know that this was the first track I've ever visited that sold wine. Food ain't cheap, but most folks know that going in, or at leaset they should.

Loved it, and, God willing, I'll go back again some day.

It was my first retirement gift to myself and it was maybe the best--or at least close to it.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ISF
3/2/15, 5:50 PM   #16
RichH

Thanks,Danny, and you other IOWers for the type of info that makes this site so great!
I should have mentioned to begin with that I'm in Palm Desert for the winter so this will be a day trip ( hopefully not like infamous Eldora home for breakfast ones). My local newbie chauffer promises an interesting trip over the mountains.
The 410 class and many names are familiar but the senior sprints and young guns are not. 360s and 305s perhaps? no wings?
Thanks.

3/2/15, 10:30 PM   #17
Scott Daloisio

Quote:
Thanks,Danny, and you other IOWers for the type of info that makes this site so great!
I should have mentioned to begin with that I'm in Palm Desert for the winter so this will be a day trip ( hopefully not like infamous Eldora home for breakfast ones). My local newbie chauffer promises an interesting trip over the mountains.
The 410 class and many names are familiar but the senior sprints and young guns are not. 360s and 305s perhaps? no wings?
Thanks.
Seniors and Young Guns are 360's or restricted 410's. No wings.

3/2/15, 11:29 PM   #18
RichH

[QUOTE=Scott Daloisi. No wings.[/QUOTE]
hooray

3/3/15, 4:58 AM   #19
rachasin

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 42

Quote:
Thanks.
I'm just over the hill from u In Sky Valley for the winter been going About 10 yrs to PAS ! U won't be disappointed. Little tip on traffic going over there the earlier u leave the better even on Saturday. Its about 1 hr drive. If u get there early swing by the camp ground . PAS CREW is always there cooking up goodies and dishing out Race stores. I'll have my IOW T SHIRT ON.
Hope u enjoy See u there.
REAL RACE CARS DON'T HAVE DOORS!!
OR WINGS!!!

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, i love dirt track racing
3/3/15, 5:11 AM   #20
rachasin

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasdirtfan View Post
I've heard that parking is $8. Can any of you regulars confirm that?
Yup $8 Bucks Robert . Are you planning a trip out here?

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Perris info