IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larry Cannon 1969 #42
11/29/16, 12:23 AM   #31
wcoughdrop

Have some of him in the b4 ,his usac car,and indy car autographed. We ran with him in the 60s and 770s. I will see what I have.

11/29/16, 3:48 PM   #32
Re: Larry Cannon 1969 #42
ISF

I remember well "Boom Boom" driving the B4 at Fairbury American Legion Speedway and winning many a feature there. Bobby Carrigan and Ol' Bub were both very tough at Fairbury, as well. My question is, who exactly owned the B4 sprinter? I was told a fellow by the name of Unc Blacker out of Champaign-Urbana, Illinois owned it but I have no idea it that information is accurate or not.

11/29/16, 6:50 PM   #33
har59

One night after a race with HAR Larry begged my dad to cut my hair!!! Sitting on the open trailers fender i got scalped!!! A few years older but about the same mop in this pic,,,,
Attached Images
IMG_20160114_191317_677_1_1_1.jpg (118.8 KB, 41 views)

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
11/29/16, 10:22 PM   #34
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
I remember well "Boom Boom" driving the B4 at Fairbury American Legion Speedway and winning many a feature there. Bobby Carrigan and Ol' Bub were both very tough at Fairbury, as well. My question is, who exactly owned the B4 sprinter? I was told a fellow by the name of Unc Blacker out of Champaign-Urbana, Illinois owned it but I have no idea it that information is accurate or not.
Richard "Unk" Blacker owned it, Wink Bridges who owned Tri-R Construction in Champaign sponsored it.....kept the money behind it, although as much as they won, it probably sustained itself. Unk did all the engine work and maintenance.

Update, Unk's son just told me that Wink Bridges did actually own the last yellow B4, the one most people remember. Unk only mechaniced.....for a percentage of the prize money. There were 2 previous versions that you would call a sprint or super modified. Unk owned those.
Last edited by mscs20; 11/29/16 at 10:41 PM.

11/29/16, 10:25 PM   #35
Speedwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
I do not mean to send the thread in a different direction but this stuff brings back a flood of memories.

I remember as a young child watching "Boom Boom", Ol' Bub, "Boom Boom's" brother Steve, Jerry Camfield, Jerry Blundy, Hersh Jenkins, Jack Tyne and many more at Fairbury American Legion Speedway back in the early to mid-sixties. There were a bunch more who I don't recall now but I especially remember "Boom Boom" in the beautiful yellow #B4 was usually the guy to beat when it was feature time.

If my recollection is correct that yellow #B4 was owned by a fellow from the Champaign-Urbana, Illinois area by the name of Unc Blacker (spelling?). I'm sure if I'm mistaken on any of this someone here will set me straight, and I'll thank whoever that may be in advance.

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.
It seems to me that the ownership of the B4 was a three person deal. One of the other names was Wink Bridges and the third name does not come to me at the moment, but he may have been associated with a Lincoln/Mercury dealership in the Champaign/Urbana area.

11/29/16, 11:15 PM   #36
Speedwrench

MSCS20 - Didn't mean to step on your post. I must have been typing as you were posting.

The Lincoln/Mercury thing. Wasn't there a car that ran USAC that came along after the B4 cars that was sponsored by that dealership? I seem to remember that Johnnie Parsons drove it and it was a Stapp springer. Somehow I want to think that some tie in between its ownership and the B4 gang.

11/30/16, 12:18 AM   #37
ISF

Thanks guys.

11/30/16, 12:52 PM   #38
TQ29m

Am I early, or late to the scene, but in the mid to late 50's I recall "BoomBoom" running at Paragon a lot, seems like the number was 11? I was with the "crew" for the guy that owned the car that Alan Barr drove for, as well as the rear engine car that was a former Indy car, I sold him his first Chev engine, Orville Yeadon. Lots of beer between now and then, way more then necessary! Bob

11/30/16, 7:21 PM   #39
billyb

The B-4 car is in LUDLOW, ILL. completely restored and total new, chrome and all. Belongs to Al Thomas who still runs a SPRINTER at local tracks today Al is like in his 70's and retired from owning THOMAS BROS. TRUCKING. Even there semi's was sharp trucks.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larry Cannon 1969 #42