IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson is coming back to the Chili Bowl Thursday in the #98K
1/11/24, 1:30 PM   #11
Re: Larson is coming back to the Chili Bowl Thursday in the
Hubie48

I didn't pay real close attention several months ago but didn't Larson and someothers decide the purse wasn't large enough to mess with?

Either way, it's cool Kyle is going to race. He is a special talent.

That being said, I also believe Buddy Kofoid is great. Like really, really great.

1/11/24, 2:03 PM   #12
Pitdad

Just because this board seems to like to run down rabbit holes from time to time AND just because this is still a bit of "the silly season", let me pose this conspiracy theory...

Is the Larson announcement purely organic and spur of the moment as everyone would have us think? Or, is it a bit of a media stunt to draw attention to Kyle, and The Chili Bowl, and to whatever the fender thing is that's happening in New Mexico?

Here's my crazy theory: Keith Kunz has done about everything imaginable at the Chili Bowl. Multiple wins with multiple drivers, KKM cars have dominated the leaderboard in the post-Swindell era. The one thing that I can't say the KKM has accomplished was a qualifying night sweep, winning all of the qualifying night A features. They've come close, but I suspect that a clean sweep is still on the "to do list". As such, KKM has seemingly been careful to spread their talent across all qualifying nights, increasing their potential to sweep the card rather than leave a night open AND not have two or more of their premier talents battling each other for win and a Saturday night lock in.

That said, according to tonight's schedule, the only KKM car that was expected to run prior to Larson's surprise announcement was Gavan Boschele. Not that Gavan was incapable of winning tonight on his own, he certainly has shown speed in the past, but it seems curious that Keith would put all of his Thursday night eggs in one basket when you consider he had 11 other cars to spread out over the other 4 qualifying nights. Did he leave Thursday open for Kyle, and just wait to announce it? If so, kudos to him, the Chili Bowl, Kyle, and everyone involved. It certainly has added an extra element of excitement to the greatest midget race in the world.

I'm just saying...

1/11/24, 2:11 PM   #13
The Old Coyote

It seems to me the drivers get to choose what preliminary night they run. Is that so?

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
1/11/24, 3:06 PM   #14
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote View Post
It seems to me the drivers get to choose what preliminary night they run. Is that so?
Not really, but it has a lot to do with what team you are running with or who you are. It's supposed to be a random draw, but they try to spread the larger teams out across different nights so they are better able to manage their resources as well as spread out the "headline" talent. Even with less well known teams or drivers though, if you come with three cars and all get placed on a single night, they will work with you if you want to split your cars up to run different nights.

1 member likes this post: The Old Coyote
1/11/24, 4:04 PM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

yes larson said the purse wasn't big enough. So they doubled it this year. Plus there has always been some lap money as well last few years.

1 member likes this post: Hubie48
1/11/24, 7:16 PM   #16
BLASTER1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
Just because this board seems to like to run down rabbit holes from time to time AND just because this is still a bit of "the silly season", let me pose this conspiracy theory...

Is the Larson announcement purely organic and spur of the moment as everyone would have us think? Or, is it a bit of a media stunt to draw attention to Kyle, and The Chili Bowl, and to whatever the fender thing is that's happening in New Mexico?

Here's my crazy theory: Keith Kunz has done about everything imaginable at the Chili Bowl. Multiple wins with multiple drivers, KKM cars have dominated the leaderboard in the post-Swindell era. The one thing that I can't say the KKM has accomplished was a qualifying night sweep, winning all of the qualifying night A features. They've come close, but I suspect that a clean sweep is still on the "to do list". As such, KKM has seemingly been careful to spread their talent across all qualifying nights, increasing their potential to sweep the card rather than leave a night open AND not have two or more of their premier talents battling each other for win and a Saturday night lock in.

That said, according to tonight's schedule, the only KKM car that was expected to run prior to Larson's surprise announcement was Gavan Boschele. Not that Gavan was incapable of winning tonight on his own, he certainly has shown speed in the past, but it seems curious that Keith would put all of his Thursday night eggs in one basket when you consider he had 11 other cars to spread out over the other 4 qualifying nights. Did he leave Thursday open for Kyle, and just wait to announce it? If so, kudos to him, the Chili Bowl, Kyle, and everyone involved. It certainly has added an extra element of excitement to the greatest midget race in the world.

I'm just saying...
Kyle has NEVER been a look at me type guy…. Go ahead and land the Black Helicopters SMH 🤦

BTW… Keith and Pete don’t roll like that also!
Last edited by BLASTER1; 1/11/24 at 7:33 PM.

1/11/24, 8:11 PM   #17
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTER1 View Post
Kyle has NEVER been a look at me type guy…. Go ahead and land the Black Helicopters SMH 🤦

BTW… Keith and Pete don’t roll like that also!
My tongue was pretty firmly in my cheek when I wrote it, but if 5th to 5th puts you in a Qualifier, I may have to revisit the topic…

1/11/24, 9:01 PM   #18
BLASTER1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
My tongue was pretty firmly in my cheek when I wrote it, but if 5th to 5th puts you in a Qualifier, I may have to revisit the topic…
Of course it was T&C after the Larson heat race

How you like your Crow?
Last edited by BLASTER1; 1/11/24 at 9:04 PM.

1/11/24, 9:21 PM   #19
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTER1 View Post
Of course it was T&C after the Larson heat race

How you like your Crow?
Not sure why I’m eating crow, but it was delicious. And if Kyle manages to lock in, then fans will get to witness the greatest night of racing, possibly of all time.

1/12/24, 2:39 AM   #20
jdull99

Hope he comes back Saturday (somehow...if the LM race gets done in time...)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson is coming back to the Chili Bowl Thursday in the #98K