IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Home Track
1/5/24, 12:02 PM   #31
Re: Home Track
BrentTFunk

My home track is Kokomo 5 minutes from my house. I can get to Gas City in 40 minutes. Circle City is my next at around an hour. IMS and IRP are about the same. Roughly 1.5 hours to Paragon and Putnamville. Around 2 hours to Eldora, Terre Haute, and Bloomington. 2.5 to Lawrenceburg, and 4 hours to Haubstadt.
I am more into quality than quantity anymore. I don't generally go to shows with more than 3 classes. I will once in a while, but not very often.

1/5/24, 12:03 PM   #32
azsprintfan1

Thanks everyone for commenting on my thread. Love hearing where everyone is from and your favorite tracks and races. We were at Manzanita Speedway almost every Saturday March - November. I first attended in 1987. Watching and cheering for the likes of Ricky Johnson, Charles Davis Jr, Jeremy Sherman, Jerry Coons Jr, Bob Ream Jr, Eric Wilkins, Josh Pelkey, Nathan High, Stevie Sussex Jr, and many many more. I still to this day miss that place something fierce. That was the old ASCA division. 360ci cars. We would also attend the SCOA winged 410 races with the likes of Marty Wilcox, Rick Ziehl, Jeff Slinkard, Calvin Landis, Kaylene Verville, Ricky Hood, and many many more. The treat was when CRA then SCRA would roll into town! And of course the Western World! The place was packed! We also went out to Canyon Speedway quite a bit when the sprints can out there. Great memories also include when the Copper World Classic was at PIR in early February. Loved watching the Midgets and Silver Crown cars speed around the big mile. Then we would make the trek East across Lower Buckeye to 35th ave and Broadway to watch the sprints. They always had a big show the weekend of the Copper. Nowadays I don't get to attend many races as all our tracks have closed. We have been to Mohave Valley a few times to watch USAC CRA and every once in a while down to Casa Grande. We have been to Yuma the past few years for the Western World. It's a great facility. My folks live in Miami County, Ohio so I go visit every September and Dad and I go to the 4 Crown. Although last year may have been his last. He's getting pretty slow in his old age. I am going home to visit in May and going to go to Winchester for the Silver Crown race. It will be my first visit there. You guys are all so lucky to have so many tracks near you. Wish I had more money and time off work to attend more races. When I retire I plan to RV all summers and camp at race track all over the country. Sorry for rambling on and on. Have a great weekend everyone! Matt

1/5/24, 12:41 PM   #33
BrentTFunk

I too loved Manzanita.

1/5/24, 1:28 PM   #34
mlamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsprintfan1 View Post
Thanks everyone for commenting on my thread. Love hearing where everyone is from and your favorite tracks and races. We were at Manzanita Speedway almost every Saturday March - November. I first attended in 1987. Watching and cheering for the likes of Ricky Johnson, Charles Davis Jr, Jeremy Sherman, Jerry Coons Jr, Bob Ream Jr, Eric Wilkins, Josh Pelkey, Nathan High, Stevie Sussex Jr, and many many more. I still to this day miss that place something fierce. That was the old ASCA division. 360ci cars. We would also attend the SCOA winged 410 races with the likes of Marty Wilcox, Rick Ziehl, Jeff Slinkard, Calvin Landis, Kaylene Verville, Ricky Hood, and many many more. The treat was when CRA then SCRA would roll into town! And of course the Western World! The place was packed! We also went out to Canyon Speedway quite a bit when the sprints can out there. Great memories also include when the Copper World Classic was at PIR in early February. Loved watching the Midgets and Silver Crown cars speed around the big mile. Then we would make the trek East across Lower Buckeye to 35th ave and Broadway to watch the sprints. They always had a big show the weekend of the Copper. Nowadays I don't get to attend many races as all our tracks have closed. We have been to Mohave Valley a few times to watch USAC CRA and every once in a while down to Casa Grande. We have been to Yuma the past few years for the Western World. It's a great facility. My folks live in Miami County, Ohio so I go visit every September and Dad and I go to the 4 Crown. Although last year may have been his last. He's getting pretty slow in his old age. I am going home to visit in May and going to go to Winchester for the Silver Crown race. It will be my first visit there. You guys are all so lucky to have so many tracks near you. Wish I had more money and time off work to attend more races. When I retire I plan to RV all summers and camp at race track all over the country. Sorry for rambling on and on. Have a great weekend everyone! Matt
Awesome thread started by you, thanks it was a good one indeed. Everyone got along well with no arguing. I think this thread is just what Bill would’ve wanted.
Kudos azsprintfan1 well done!

1/5/24, 1:43 PM   #35
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Home track is Kokomo...1.9 miles from my house, approximately 500 yards from our farm...been there most of my life except a period when I suffered a serious eye injury as a kid near turn 3 backstretch. My late father worked the backstretch gate when I was a kid, I got called to the track for work the day of the BC Double of 2017, thanks to a good friend on here suggesting my business to the O'Connor Family. Have been going back ever since, being hired from time to time to do more work, bar none my favorite track and always will be.

Gas City I69 Speedway 2nd home track and 2nd favorite. 3.4 miles from our shop. Go to Logan's US24 Speedway where I help sponsor some teams and help on some cars, as well as sometimes Circus City, Peru. Some others that I love and have been to and made great times and memories, Eldora, Terre Haute, The Burg, and Port City.

Favorite races hands down Smackdown. Week long party, top of the line nonwing Sprints for 3 straight nights. Next favorite is James Dean Classic at GC. It starts off one heck of a weekend for our family and friends and honestly the entire town and area with all the festivals, car shows, etc. Also it marks 2 days from our annual Fall Fish Fry and Party. Also means our Indiana Early Archery Whitetail Deer Season is nearing on October 1st.

Thanks for the questions and this thread, definitely a good one!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 1/5/24 at 2:06 PM.

1/5/24, 1:53 PM   #36
B99

My home track was torn down in 1988 and I've not found one like it since. Oh there are other tracks I really like, but none like home.

1/5/24, 2:58 PM   #37
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
My home track was torn down in 1988 and I've not found one like it since. Oh there are other tracks I really like, but none like home.
B99,

And what track was that??

Bruce Eckel

2 members like this post: azsprintfan1, flagboy55
1/5/24, 3:11 PM   #38
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Kokomo Speedway! Baddest Bullring on Earth! Born and raised there!
Okay I wasn't born at the speedway but I WAS raised there!
Last edited by racegal; 1/5/24 at 3:12 PM.

1/5/24, 5:12 PM   #39
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Broadway Speedway started my fandom circa 1960.

4 members like this post: azsprintfan1, BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Ilovedirttrackracing
1/5/24, 10:18 PM   #40
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
My Guess is Little Springfield!
Last edited by oppweld; 1/6/24 at 1:46 AM.

5 members like this post: azsprintfan1, BrentTFunk, erich45, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Home Track