IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Srx
1/11/24, 11:28 PM   #1
Srx
ossuks

Speedsport reports that the SRX series is canceling the 204 season.

1/12/24, 9:06 AM   #2
Re: Srx
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Speedsport reports that the SRX series is canceling the 204 season.

No surprise. The SRX deal was a joke in my opinion. To me it felt like a big gimmick and I never thought the racing was all that great. It was cool to see different drivers mix it up. I think the cars could have been better developed and they looked ugly.

I did see where Ray Evernham and a partner bought the IROC series and plan to revive them it this year.

1/12/24, 9:14 AM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Seen em at Eldora first time with the champ cars. It was ok. But as the last poster said. Too much Gimmick. Halftime commercial yellow. Yellow with five to go and ajusted laps or times for TV time.

In between all that, you got to see some racing and Paul Tracy taking out the rest of the field.

Better to get maybe 20 midgets (With bigger cockpits) Run em on real short tracks like Anderson, Port City. Action Track USA, etc.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/12/24 at 9:17 AM.

1/12/24, 12:06 PM   #4
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
No surprise. The SRX deal was a joke in my opinion. To me it felt like a big gimmick and I never thought the racing was all that great. It was cool to see different drivers mix it up. I think the cars could have been better developed and they looked ugly.

I did see where Ray Evernham and a partner bought the IROC series and plan to revive them it this year.
It was a gimmick, made for TV. If anyone expected anything else they set them selves up to be disappointed. However there were a lot of folks who were entertained by the series. Moving o ESPN was a mistake, and when Evernham bought IROC the writing was on the wall for SRX.

I agree that the cars could have been better. And it was cool to see drivers step out of their comfort zone and try something different.

2 members like this post: Hubie48, Hustlin-Hoosier
1/12/24, 11:32 PM   #5
JakeCroxton

I realize that my SRX experience was unique compared to most board posters...so I am a bit biased lol.

Levi Jones and I were tasked with scoring, race directing, juggling CBS (with Jared Frood) for the first iteration of SRX.

I can tell you I'll never forget when a sold out crowd at Stafford stood up at 630 when the cars gridded for an 8pm green flag.

Slinger ran out of beer. Which is commendable for Wisconsinites lol. I'll never forget calling out the many lead changes.

It was great to see that many people at IRP again for that round.

The silver crown race at Eldora showed a lot of those folks what we were all about and raised some eyebrows.

Levi and I spent a lot of time going through how to make the competition cautions work and not take away from the racing. It was a bit of theatre up until that last yellow...and then it was on.

Make no mistake about it...the drivers were phenomenal to work with and professionalism and the competiton level is something that's hard to duplicate.

I think the deal has a place...but they tore up a lot of stuff last year. The cars still cost money. Six weeks in a row is a monumental fete, whereas IROC was four times a year and almost never back to back.

Whether you liked the gimmicks or not, the tracks were generally standing room only.

It was a lot of fun and we made a lot of people smile. I hope that it is able to continue one day. It served as a showcase for short track racing on a national stage.

1/13/24, 12:03 AM   #6
jdull99

& over 1m were watching most of those CBS races. It got short track pavement AND dirt racing on National free over the air broadcast TV (no one had to complain the streaming wasn't working...I can't blv people pay for that. I suppose if you were watching on rabbit ears u may have had trouble once in a while tho...)...I thought it was kinda cool (but with my work schedules and what not, I honestly didn't WATCH proly 1/3 of it...I was going to this year tho...lol). I'm glad Marco had a good run at it!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/13/24, 12:19 AM   #7
flagboy55

I’m glad some people enjoyed it, and I hope it gave some exposure to short track racing. Myself, I was indifferent to the whole deal. We had it on a couple times as filler, but couldn’t really get worked up over it. But like Jake said, it made some folks smile, then that’s all good!

4 members like this post: Hubie48, nathans1012, PIT CART, RACrappieman
1/13/24, 7:53 AM   #8
Hubie48

I never got that excited about it. I do know several non regular racing fans who took their families to IRP for that event. It did separate the fan and his money!

1/13/24, 11:26 AM   #9
hoosierhillbilly

I think they went broke fixing all the cars Paul Tracy wrecked

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, nathans1012
1/13/24, 12:49 PM   #10
openwheelfan1

Yes it was gimmicky, BUT it introduced some people to short track racing and dirt track racing, which is never a bad thing. It brought people out to short tracks that otherwise had or would have driven by them for years. The kind of exposure SRX provided may have been dismissed by some dedicated race fans, but in my opinion, that national television exposure had no downside. In today’s world, you couldn’t get enough tweets, posts and likes to equal what 12 nights of TV exposure equaled for short track racing.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Srx