IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Night #1 "Gold Crown"
10/7/16, 10:41 PM   #41
Tom23

It's pretty simple. In both USAC and Powri the the car count correlates to the size of the track. Tri City is a horsepower track for a midget, the guys that pay the bills don't feel that it is worth the mileage on the motors at a place they can't be real competitive.

3 members like this post: Daddyz, jim goerge, tirespinner
10/7/16, 10:51 PM   #42
KG71

Well the Toyotas do seem to be dominating.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
10/7/16, 10:53 PM   #43
quicktime3

Most Illinois and St. Louis-area teams decided that Granite City was too big. I think the last POWRi race there had like 14 cars. Midgets just keep trending to smaller and smaller tracks.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/8/16, 1:28 AM   #44
Re: Night #1 "Gold Crown"
race0

just to compare apples to apples, the first night of mod mania had around 118 cars... 75 mods and 43 late models had to qualify, run heats.. dashes.. multiple c-mains.. multiple b-mains.. and a-mains. the payout was pretty much the same, gold crown used a pill draw for around 29 midgets. I would assume the heats would start a little later at mod mania. great racing at both events, but in my opinion, I would love to see usac run a 3 day show with midgets and non wing sprints... now that would be a gold crown nationals. tri-city would be the perfect track.

1 member likes this post: Simon_says17
10/8/16, 1:59 AM   #45
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Most likely not to be there

Brady Bacon
Dave Darland
Jerry Coons, Jr
Tanner Thorson
Carson Macedo
Chad Boat
Spencer Bayston
Holly Shelton
Ryan Robinson
Steve Buckwalter
Davey Ray
Alex Bright
Ryan Greth

And also about 3/4 of the out of town fans that came last night would not travel to a Powri show.

I know I live 40 minutes west of the track and neither me or my family would be there if it's a Powri show.

As much as Powri wants to put USAC midgets out of business the fan support is just not there to do it.
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. Saw my first POWRi show recently at Belle Claire & thought it was great! No qualifying, super competitive racing
And no domination by Keith Kunz & his hordes.....

3 members like this post: jim goerge, mowerman, progressive22
10/8/16, 12:28 PM   #46
DonMoore10

The writing is on the wall, fans. It's time to say goodbye to these expensive exotic engines. Fans love great competitive racing, not speed. The sooner this happens the sooner you will see the revival of midget racing and you won't be having a discussion like this thread.

10/8/16, 2:34 PM   #47
LEADERS EDGE

Does that mean you're shelving your MoPars and getting Eco Tecs or Mini Sprint engines?

10/8/16, 2:40 PM   #48
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Does that mean you're shelving your MoPars and getting Eco Tecs or Mini Sprint engines?
Time will tell.

10/8/16, 2:51 PM   #49
BrentTFunk

This has less to do with Powri and USAC, and more to do with Kenny Brown and the Gold Crown. Remember a few years ago he scheduled a make up race at Belleville against this event. I understand where why some teams budget does not make sense to run this show. The worst part is you have a track, that is a really nice place,and good sponsors,who are willing to pay pretty good money for a midget race,not getting the support they probably deserve. This is what makes me laugh when people say, I want more high dollar races, or all the tracks need to do is get more sponsors. I think Tri City and the sponsors deserve better. We have had a great time, and the racing has been good. I think it funny that the car count is not of a big of a deal here at the track, as it is on the Internet.Again. Have fun wherever you go to the races tonight.

10/8/16, 3:24 PM   #50
KG71

I'm just surprised more cars don't go to this with the posted purse. As someone else posted a mod race with this purse would have 100 cars. And I know first hand mod motors are not cheap either at over $20k.

I would think there would be guys local that would still try and hit this show up with that purse.

I do agree more cars isn't necessarily a better show but a few more to have a b would be good.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Night #1 "Gold Crown"