IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > And so it begins
8/12/18, 11:43 PM   #41
Re: And so it begins

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

Well non wing gets its own nationals next July. That's good enough for me. Lets fill those stands and grow it into something just as big.

8/13/18, 12:18 AM   #42
openwheelfan1

We attend both winged events (usually WoO) and non winged events (usually USAC) and have for years. Each style has its own appeal. We have attended Knoxville Nationals off and on since the 80’s, and for the last 5 years consecutively. There is something unique about the atmosphere at the Nationals. It is a gathering, a reunion, an event. The reaction of the crowd two years ago when Jason Johnson beat Donny Schatz by inches could not and still can’t be described, at least not by myself. The crowd reaction to Brad Sweet’s win last night was a close second.

I really, REALLY hope the non winged racers get behind the Nationals event planned at Knoxville next July. By my estimation, there are APPROXIMATELY 125-150 non winged cars running on any given summer Saturday night in IN, OH, IL, and CA. If 1/3 of them show up, I think it will be a good indication that maybe someday, with time and effort we could have both a winged and non winged Knoxville Nationals.

8/13/18, 10:47 AM   #43
dsc1600

That was a great summary of the event. 2018 was one the best ever.

8/13/18, 12:53 PM   #44
chathamracefan

This was my first time going for all 4 nights. Went to Friday & Saturday last year. The racing was outstanding all 4 nights. Track prep is truly amazing there. Once hot laps start, they don't add water or do anything significant to the track until that night's racing is over.

All in all, just a spectacular 4 nights of racing & a great time spent in Knoxville.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/13/18, 4:03 PM   #45
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
Surprised there was no comment on this.
I think it’s because most know Knoxville doesn’t want to alter what has been an amazing event, even if it’s only for a year. Look at the crowd that the nationals attracts and the excitement it garners with wings.

While we are aware of the potential for incredible racing anytime wingless sprints roll out onto a track, I don’t believe that’s true nationally. And let’s be honest, even though most don’t find wing racing to be the most exciting on this board, Knoxville is definitely one track where the winged cars offer superb racing.

I’m hoping with the event scheduled next year that USAC is able to get a little more national attention. In my opinion it is definitely growing again. Names like Courtney, Thomas Jr., Windom, Ballou, Darland, Grant, Seavey, Bayston, Swanson are steadily becoming names more people want to see. The creation of CMR to provide competition to Kunz renewed my interest in midgets, and I don’t think I’m speaking only for myself in that. Ryan Newman is getting into wingless sprints with CMR and Courtney.

Let’s just hope for good support of the wingless nationals next year, and hopefully it’ll birth an event that gets people talking across the country every year, not to the extent of the winged nationals because I know that’s a bit unrealistic to hope for, but enough to continue what I see to be a steady rise in popularity of wingless racing again.

8/14/18, 7:57 AM   #46
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

My concern with a non wing Knoxville National is that mixing in a lot of drivers with little wingless experience could be a recipe for disaster.

The Smackdown with time could become the wingless version of Knoxville Nationals.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, mc/rider, motorhead748
8/14/18, 5:15 PM   #47
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

I've been there just once,looks like a good track for a Silver Crown race

2 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97
8/14/18, 8:39 PM   #48
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

They have run Silver Crown in the past and did draw enough fans to repeat it very often. I would like to see them at Osky on Tuesday, built In crowd and lots of exposure to a more than likely new audience.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > And so it begins