IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
CTtoPA (Offline)
  #51 8/15/10 5:43 PM
13 cars? Really? Maybe it's time to split the pavement and dirt into separate series. Seven pavement races just isn't enough to justify owning and maintaining a pavement sprinter. Nine midget races doesn't cut it for the midgets either.
spruett (Offline)
  #52 8/15/10 6:30 PM
The reason a lot of USAC CARS skip this race is the damage potential .. One mistake and your pavement car is done and this racetrack is very difficult to not make mistakes.

Sounds like some good cars and drivers showed up.. Maybe when economy gets better it will get back toward 20 -24 like it used to be
High Banks (Offline)
  #53 8/15/10 9:45 PM
We want to thank those that ignored the afternoon heat and showers and turned out for last night’s Joe James/Pat O’Connor Memorial at Salem Speedway. That said, I need to get something off my chest that has been building up for some time. Promoting races and owning a race track is a tough business, just ask anyone who has ever filled those shoes. Most will tell you that they do it for the love of the sport. The hours are long, the pay is not that great and the stress levels are off the chart at times. So, please give your local race tracks a break. I guarantee they all want the same thing you do – full fields, great side-by-side racing, huge crowds, beautiful facilities, perfect weather, shows run in a timely manner, etc., etc., etc. However, we don’t live in a perfect world and things do go south on occasion and you have to deal with bad car counts, threatening weather, clogged toilets, long concessions lines, the list could go on and on. Would I like to have had 25 USAC sprint cars last night instead of 13, no doubt. But those 13, along with the 22 MSR Xtreme sprints, still put on one heck of a show. It’s easy to sit at a keyboard and make decisions, try it with 20,000, 50,000 or even 100,000 dollars at stake. For tracks to survive they have to make a profit. That’s not easy in this day and age. Negativity hurts our sport. If you like dirt track racing, that’s great I do too. Or, if you are one of those that thinks real racing is done on asphalt, that’s okay as well. Stock cars vs. open wheel cars, the debate could go on and on, I personally like both. Indiana short-track fans your racing options are unlimited and probably the best of anywhere in the nation. If you really love racing, and I believe most of you do, think before you post. Negativity does hurt our sport. We appreciate the nice comments concerning last night's race.
14 Likes: bgerster, Danny Burton, Dave Rudisell, Greg Wood, interpreter66, itsanonwingthing, mowerman, Mud Packer, old timer 38, racefan20, REH24, SHORTBUS, SPRINTCAR, TQ29m
racing2a (Offline)
  #54 8/15/10 10:17 PM
sprints and midget on salem is great.... I would love to see it go back to a sunday afternoon in the fall. It was when I was a kid and it was great.... I love openwheel cars but salem could run golf carts and it would be exciting... that is the best paved track around in my opion.
old timer 38 (Offline)
  #55 8/16/10 6:54 AM
Originally Posted by racing2a:
sprints and midget on salem is great.... I would love to see it go back to a sunday afternoon in the fall. It was when I was a kid and it was great.... I love openwheel cars but salem could run golf carts and it would be exciting... that is the best paved track around in my opion.
Amen to that Salem is the greatest.
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #56 8/16/10 9:12 AM
I as a fan pay admission, bring multiple other fans, eat and drink at the track consessions stand, travel a good distance and stay at local hotels and eatieries. It involves interest on my part, time, effort and a lot of money on my part beyond track admission. I go to an event and believe in it as advertised. Many events I do year after year at the same track. I trust in promoters to deliver on thier part, the race and customer service.

Race promotion is a business. I take in trust track operators have done thier homework and are going to deliver for the price of my admission, the show I would pay to expect to see. Car Counts, bathrooms, food preparation are the operators business. Paying the admission and paying for the food, as well as enjoying the race is mine as I see it.

There are plenty of race fans. We all love the sport. We all pay admissions.
We have expectations as paying fans, if those are met, everything is is fine and we continue to attend.
Hubie (Offline)
  #57 8/16/10 10:07 AM
High Banks

This is the first time in years that I have not attended the Joe James/Pat O'Connor event. It had nothing to do with your track, your concession stands or your toliets.

It had to do with spending money, traveling and the heat (and it's always hot in August, no big deal)

The car count was pathetic. I got wind of it Friday, and changed my plans. (I went boating)

There are some really good USAC guys without pavent rides.