IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Briscoe!
7/19/18, 8:37 AM   #11
Re: Briscoe!
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I remember pushing for Chase in the PEAK challenge here and on Facebook and I'd never met him. only seen him race a couple times and both times he'd blown up or had problems Once at LPS he flipped out of the park in turn one. I do know his dad and grandpa as both a outstanding racer and car owner and Chase was a Openwheeler who needed a shot.

I honestly didn't know Chase had that much talent in him, He proved himself. First driving a few races n ARCA then the Championship, Then ROTY in Trucks with a win and many close battles up front.

Last nght kinda had the same effect as the old thurs thunder as it's the only thing going in racing, nationally televised etc.

Anyway, Congrats Chase! His team, and the rest of the Briscoe family.

6 members like this post: davidm, EBookerFan, interpreter66, mc/rider, oppweld, Paul Westfall
7/19/18, 10:15 AM   #12
ISF

I found it very interesting that Dean Roper's 1981 USAC Stock Car 1 lap track record is a second and a half quicker than the pole speed of the trucks at Eldora last night. 37 years and huge leaps in technology seem not to have made the racing machines even as fast as they were then. Could it be a difference in the racing surface?

4 members like this post: interpreter66, PIT CART, Steve Wendel, tirespinner
7/19/18, 10:43 AM   #13
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
I found it very interesting that Dean Roper's 1981 USAC Stock Car 1 lap track record is a second and a half quicker than the pole speed of the trucks at Eldora last night. 37 years and huge leaps in technology seem not to have made the racing machines even as fast as they were then. Could it be a difference in the racing surface?
That track was slick as glass last evening for Television purposes.

1 member likes this post: racenut69
7/19/18, 10:47 AM   #14
Kansasdirtfan

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that it's the only NASCAR race I watch from start to finish. Special congratulations to Chase Briscoe, but kudos to all the participants. Naturally, I'm partial to, and cheer for, the open wheel guys, but I wouldn't have been disappointed no matter who won. Having watched Mr. Seavey hustle a midget several times, including 3 times last week, I'm not the least bit surprised at his performance last night. All in all, a very entertaining evening.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, ISF, oppweld
7/19/18, 11:36 AM   #15
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
That track was slick as glass last evening for Television purposes.
Do track conditions negate a full 1.5 seconds and 37 years of technology? Maybe. But the comparison is quite striking, nonetheless.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, PIT CART
7/19/18, 12:34 PM   #16
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Do track conditions negate a full 1.5 seconds and 37 years of technology? Maybe. But the comparison is quite striking, nonetheless.
I wasn't around in '81 but I'd say yes. Track could not be any harder, dusty and slicked off than it was yesterday.
But I'd even venture to say that the USAC stocks in 81 may have been more set up for dirt than the trucks are today, as dirt was part of the diet for USAC more than once a year.

2 members like this post: 55fan, jjones752
7/19/18, 1:34 PM   #17
55fan

Sometimes you have to be slower to be faster. The taxicab lead sleds have way too much horsepower to hook up to the track.🏁🏁

7/19/18, 3:51 PM   #18
RACrappieman

Congrats Chase! It’s nice to see a racer making it the old fashioned way! Woulda been even cooler if that car was white with a red 5 on the doors!

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, interpreter66, oppweld
7/19/18, 11:02 PM   #19
Speedmax3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
I wasn't around in '81 but I'd say yes. Track could not be any harder, dusty and slicked off than it was yesterday.
But I'd even venture to say that the USAC stocks in 81 may have been more set up for dirt than the trucks are today, as dirt was part of the diet for USAC more than once a year.
Wouldn't have been my choice for track condition but I think it was exactly what NASCAR and Tony wanted. After they watered it up for the first heat half the trucks were overheating and they could barely see out windshield. After that they let it go dry and slick. Even Larson said during the feature it was becoming more like pavement, but they did have multi lane racing.

7/20/18, 6:11 AM   #20
Spi-nex

You have to remember the trucks are still on a truck arm 3 link style suspension, panhard hooked to the right side and behind the rear end. Those truck arms are much much longer than anything you would see on dirt and will never provide the forward drive or side bite that even a stock 4 link would from 81.

What size tires where on those stock cars back then?

1 member likes this post: Simon_says17
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Briscoe!