IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No fun-no cash-no race
6/23/09, 10:55 AM   #1
No fun-no cash-no race
chop

When I was a kid, been a few years. We went to Kalamazoo Speedway every Sunday night to watch TRI-SAC race. Say 1970 to around 1976. You saw full fields with super mods and sprint cars. Along the way they went from 305 to 327 to 350 to 410 engine sizes. Non wings to wings. Everytime changes were made you saw less and less cars. The end came when the Dowkers make that titanium car. It was so fast they made it start at the back of the field one lap down. Still would win. No one at that time had the means to build cars like that. So they stopped racing (no-fun-no-cash-no race)
About the same time SOD started to run in Michigan. They would race two to three times a weekend. Along the way it cost more and more to race. Same thing happened to dirt sprint cars racing in Michigan. (no-fun-no-cash-no race) I would bet that a UMP mod is now way more cost to race then the old sprint cars of that era.
So you want more cars to race-more people to watch/ be at the track. Lower the cost. Ok lets see how this chat with the wife would go. Me-"hey can I race a sprint car?" Wife "How much would it cost?" Do I need to go on anymore?
How many working people can pay $20,000 for a roller--$40,000 for an engine- $1,000 a night for tires and fuel?
Please dont do the get a sponsor thing. Know an business that can give up that type of cash?
It was about having fun. Not being a stepping stone to Nascar. Just my thinking

3 members like this post: 64chevy, dirtnonwingfan, pgray
6/23/09, 11:56 AM   #2
Re: No fun-no cash-no race
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
When I was a kid, been a few years. We went to Kalamazoo Speedway every Sunday night to watch TRI-SAC race. Say 1970 to around 1976. You saw full fields with super mods and sprint cars. Along the way they went from 305 to 327 to 350 to 410 engine sizes. Non wings to wings. Everytime changes were made you saw less and less cars. The end came when the Dowkers make that titanium car. It was so fast they made it start at the back of the field one lap down. Still would win. No one at that time had the means to build cars like that. So they stopped racing (no-fun-no-cash-no race)
About the same time SOD started to run in Michigan. They would race two to three times a weekend. Along the way it cost more and more to race. Same thing happened to dirt sprint cars racing in Michigan. (no-fun-no-cash-no race) I would bet that a UMP mod is now way more cost to race then the old sprint cars of that era.
So you want more cars to race-more people to watch/ be at the track. Lower the cost. Ok lets see how this chat with the wife would go. Me-"hey can I race a sprint car?" Wife "How much would it cost?" Do I need to go on anymore?
How many working people can pay $20,000 for a roller--$40,000 for an engine- $1,000 a night for tires and fuel?
Please dont do the get a sponsor thing. Know an business that can give up that type of cash?
It was about having fun. Not being a stepping stone to Nascar. Just my thinking
This is what the S.C.O.R.A Sprint Car Series was founded for. We have targeted the working man who wants to race a sprint car but doesn't have a huge budget. Getting the cost of racing lower is a tough nut to crack and keeps getting harder. John Gurley

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No fun-no cash-no race