IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
8/8/08, 9:53 AM   #41
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
cmakin

It would seem to me that it would be a simple thing for USAC to produce a document that would indicate their minimum safety standards for a facility,and then publish it. This way, any venue and/or promoter would be aware of the requirements well in advance. Now, I have no ideal how these events are brought about contractually, but I would find it surprising if there weren't some detail in such a document.

I guess you can tell that I do a fair amount of work with and for lawyers.

8/8/08, 9:57 AM   #42
Shawn

Mud Packer,

I would like to say that you hit the nail on the head. Nice job!

EP,

USAC did make the right decision, since it was a safety concern. However, with all due respect, the plug should have been pulled before any hauler, or fan, pulled up that hill. That is USAC's fault.

If someone would have bet me, I would have won. You're exactly who I thought you were. Let's face it, Union County Speedway has issues. Yes, last night was USAC's fault, but that's only because they waited until the day of the race. The car owners and drivers didn't race due to safety, no one can fault that. I will get more into their issues later. Enjoy the "tin-tops" in Florence, ya'll.

Spridge,

I applaud you for standing up for the drivers. All of us were in line, waiting on a refund, when something was said about the drivers. You stood up for them and got an apology in return.

Okay, USAC screwed up, but at the same time, I do agree that they made the right choice. If drivers and owners have a safety concern, it's first. There is NO reason that a drive to Liberty, from Indy, couldn't have been squeezed in over the past months. This is totally USAC's fault.

I feel bad for those who spent the amount of time and money promoting this event. It had a chance of being a fun little event. Pretty good fan and car turnout was set to make a nice evening. Those in charge should have also made sure the concerns they had were fixed before race day. Thanks for the refund, but sadly, a lot of people took off of work, got hotels or drove for hours. What a shame.

Union County Speedway had a chance to be showcased as another fine Indiana dirt track, but fell on it's face. The driveway is still horrible, along with their parking situation. Luckily we didn't have rain, or the parking would have been REALLY bad. There was NO track preparation, at all. When you're "running in" the track and there's dust flying, it's an issue. The improvements that were made a few years ago were the stands, scoring tower and "some" lights, but that's it. The improvements stopped there and quite honestly, they don't even look like they're getting taken care of. I'm not sure how long people can harp on these "improvements"? It might be fine with the local racers, but for sprints and midgets, there are concerns. All tracks don't have to be Lawrenceburg, but a little effort goes a long way. This doesn't just mean mowing the grass. It's making to most of what you have, but most importantly, it's keeping the racers and fans safe.

8/8/08, 10:12 AM   #43
Shawn

I almost forgot, but two more things about this "debacle". As someone previously stated, it would have been nice if USAC would have made the announcement, or been standing there as fans walked out to explain. Instead, it seems that they made the (right) call, but ran from it. They were never visible, or never explained what was going on. We all could see that haulers and some fans were leaving, but USAC was "MIA".

Honestly, I think the "COPS" were a good idea and expected it. If all hell would have broke loose, then we'd be asking "Why didn't they have cops there?". They planned for the worst, but luckily, it didn't get that bad.

:checkered:

8/8/08, 10:26 AM   #44
Clydesdale

Here's a thought:idea:.....wouldn't it be nice if when we showed up at Bloomington tonight, USAC was standing at the ticket gates handing out gas cards for everyone's wasted trip last night.

8/8/08, 10:28 AM   #45
Onlydirt

Even Aero's crew wouldnt need the cops....maybe just the PA guys :rolling :eek:

No Pine you cant have my cuffs! :moon:

8/8/08, 10:30 AM   #46
Onlydirt

So they still races? What was the payouts? Quite the mess, glad I stayed home. See Mowerman, thats why this guys doesnt drive very far for races.

8/8/08, 10:30 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

If someone would have bet me, I would have won. You're exactly who I thought you were. Let's face it, Union County Speedway has issues. Yes, last night was USAC's fault, but that's only because they waited until the day of the race. The car owners and drivers didn't race due to safety, no one can fault that. I will get more into their issues later. Enjoy the "tin-tops" in Florence, ya'll.
not to hard to tell who i am, there are only a hand full of people in this county that travel to alot of these type races. And i'm sure the rest of them were setting around you .

8/8/08, 10:33 AM   #48
Seadog

Quote:
...What gets me is we all make mistakes now and then but god god USAC has been around how long? They should be running like a well oiled machine by now...
Kind of like Nascar (the biggest form of racing and has been around longer than USAC) at the Brickyard 400 a couple of weeks ago?:rolleyes:

I wasn't there last night, but the way I see it is: bottom line - no one's safety or life was compromised.:thumb People wasted some time and money.:thumbsdown: Mistakes were made and USAC's Miller has admitted responsibility.:thumb I believe there are other factors that people here on this board know nothing about that relate to what happened last night. But Miller "manned up" and took responsibility and did not want to throw anybody else under the bus.

We are all quick to jump on USAC for a mistake, but how many around here give them an "atta boy" for all the rest of the good stuff they do? Not many.

Anybody out there remember when Winchester was repaved and it put so much G loading on the standard midget wheels that they had to cancel the race? We all lived through that and most probably forgot about it.

Anybody remember the CART debacle at Texas a few years ago when drivers blacked out from G forces? They had to cancel that race. And yet we all survived.

The good news is we will all be able to have fun at the races another day.

If you never go to a USAC race again because of this, that's up to you. I will continue to go because it is still the best racing on the planet, mistakes and all.

8/8/08, 10:35 AM   #49
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget82 View Post
You're saying it's completely USAC's fault Chuck? :O: Sounds like a combined effort to me between USAC and the track. You've taken three vacation days and not seen a race on any of them? Which races were those (were they all USAC?) and maybe try going to more than 4 races a year. You're saying the drivers that left the track are selfish for not staying, even in fear of their safety? You're kidding right? :action-smiley-049: Driving a sprint or midget is crazy enough on its own, let alone adding the life hazard to the drivers and/or fans from the facility's side (rebar hanging out of the walls, rough concrete ledges that could surely junk a race car, etc.)... Apparently there was nearly a riot over the refund issue also... It's a shame you and your father missed your mother's birthday, but who's fault is that? USAC to blame? :rolleyes:

It's not my place to blast anyone, but half of your posts are pointless and it's like you don't think before you click that "submit reply" button. I'm sure you'll end up defending USAC later on after ripping them tonight.

Sorry for the outburst. :action-smiley-049:

Eldora Twice are the other two I took off to attend. At the very least they were called in advance.
Im not sorry for being upset, You should have seen my 67 year old father. Hes a Ex cop and knew we were getting into a dangerous situation and at the very least a very uncomfortable one.
FYI, I've been to 7 USAC shows this year and 16 races total. Im not retracting one word of that post. I seen car owners and drivers arguing. I see the TSR team leave yet their driver stays to race. I see the Hagan team stay and their driver choose to leave.

Don't get me wrong, If a driver feels the tracks to dangerous, They shouldn't race. Thats not selfish. Thats wise but like I said in the earlier post. I've seen them run at tracks with blunt gardrails sticking out, Front stretch walls that were collapsed behind a stage that created a catch pocket (Old Burg) No catch fences before ect.

Yeah I've defended USAC several times. Post about is USAC needed for SPrintweek ect. I've also critisized things like the format and purse structure that was prohibitive to many teams not racing with them, Many of which had been fixed or changed for the better.

You can't say I don't have a right to be upset. I wouldn't say anything on this board I wouldn't say to someones face. (Might get my but kicked) or might get my mind changed by somoene with more knowlege than me correcting me where Im wrong. I just lost a lot of respect and blame USAC soley. What was flying around the track is that USAC had attened the track several times to check safety concerns and ulitmately on Race day decides to call it? After the cars, fans and everyone else are already there.
And Ultimately, Not one USAC official apologizing for the situation. (Track not being safe to compete on, Leaving, Cops ect only to come home and find a vauge regret post on a message board, As U said, That at the minnimum should have been done at the track. Its not like there wasn't OVERKILL in security to do so.

Chuck, who'd like to thank Chaplain Jackie and Fishinman Dave for calming me down a bit at the track. Yes there are to sides to everything. Yes the issues were serious (Two of them solved) And I realize there were a ton of people with a ton more money and time invested in attending than me. Thank You.

8/8/08, 10:37 AM   #50
FishBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
If you never go to a USAC race again because of this, that's up to you. I will continue to go because it is still the best racing on the planet, mistakes and all.
DITTO!

:thumb:applaud::thumb

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week