Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill
6/22/09, 9:22 PM   #21
Re: The Rumor Mill
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat View Post
if the thursday night thunder were to redevelop i think switching it up between dirt and pavement on a week to week basis would be a great way to display the sport.
posted via mobile device
do you think that would bring new people to usac racing? Or stay home and watch on tv? Or to any race close to there home?

6/22/09, 9:30 PM   #22
STIDA.com

Race Count This Year: 9

Lingner Group is a class act. By far the best for autoracing out there. If TV and USAC are a thing of the future...Lingner Group needs to be a part of that.

6/22/09, 9:31 PM   #23
MEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
do you think that would bring new people to usac racing? Or stay home and watch on tv? Or to any race close to there home?
Would people stay home and watch, yes. However - think more people would get exposure and want to come see it live. It keeps working for the late model groups out there. They get tv exposure and still pack the house. I think more television coverage would also help contribute to the little guy getting sponsorship money. A lot of business owners love seeing their name on tv. Most corporate level sponsorships go to the super teams sure, but that has faded with the financial crisis. Other teams have interests from friends and race fans that have own a business. Bring USAC back to television and you may see more midlevel commerce involvment, they get their name on tv and don't have to spend a million dollars to do it. Not to mention maybe bringing forth additional title sponsorship for the series.
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by MEAT; 6/22/09 at 9:42 PM.

6/22/09, 9:45 PM   #24
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

I was on the west coast when the "Thunder" series was going on. ESPN-2 wanted $70,000 to show the series. The last year it was on, it almost wasn't. Coors Light finally stepped up and paid for the sponsorship of the races. ESPN did sell commercial time to other companies but no money was paid to USAC drivers or a points fund for the series.
Last edited by spankytoo; 6/22/09 at 9:52 PM.

6/22/09, 9:55 PM   #25
micro94

USAC isnt what it was and when never be what it was.I remember going to my Dad's early on the weekend's so we could watch Thursday Night Thunder with Gary Lee.But since we are looking for suggestion's and I've ran a business myself so I understand the penny watching thing why don't you try this.Everyone would love to see the race's on tv again.We can't all make it to the race's these day's because if we miss one day of work we are screwed money wise.For those of you that aren't,kudos to you.You have a live USAC broadcast at some track's.Why not look to a local station like 49 or whatever station that can help broadcast these races?They probably wouldnt charge a butt load and I promise they will get more viewers out of it.Something for you,something for them.It still seems outside this website when you mention sprint cars they say either what are those or are those them cars with wings that they show on speed channel?You half to open up peoples minds to open wheel racing still.If they see it around Indiana here on TV they are going to enjoy it.I live in Anderson and they had that damn street stock special on HBO!Show people some racing around Indiana and you will grab peoples attention.The kids growing up these days have no clue like they used to back then.They are into piercings and computers and what not."Show it to them and they will come".Its not an over night thing.You half to spend to receive.My 2 cents have been said and I will wait to hear what happens.Good Luck regardless.

P.S. Im looking for a job if you need some more info on outside perspective.

6/22/09, 9:57 PM   #26
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat View Post
would people stay home and watch, yes. However - think more people would get exposure and want to come see it live. It keeps working for the late model groups out there. They get tv exposure and still pack the house. I think more television coverage would also help contribute to the little guy getting sponsorship money. A lot of business owners love seeing their name on tv. Most corporate level sponsorships go to the super teams sure, but that has faded with the financial crisis. Other teams have interests from friends and race fans that have own a business. Bring usac back to television and you may see more midlevel commerce involvment, they get their name on tv and don't have to spend a million dollars to do it. Not to mention maybe bringing forth additional title sponsorship for the series.
posted via mobile device
i've watched some of the dirt late models? A lot of empty seats! Lucas oil speedway last week!

6/22/09, 10:11 PM   #27
MEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
i've watched some of the dirt late models? A lot of empty seats! Lucas oil speedway last week!
You may be right on that Duke but go to any of these ump summernational races and the stands are packed. The last Lucas Oil race I went to you could not hardly find a seat. Maybe at Lucas Oil Speedway a bunch of sprint fans shoed up and decided they would rather let their kids race go karts than watch a fender fest. (Don't get mad Chris Nunn I am just kidding). I don't want to get into a back and forth pissing match, I just made a statement and in most cases from what I have seen late model races fill the house. I will end in saying during the thunder days there was a crowd at the track as well as watching on tv.
Posted via Mobile Device

6/22/09, 10:17 PM   #28
slide22

The issue may be promoting and entertainment, make the race more of an "event" than a race. Look at Motocross and how it has exploded the past few years. Personally I think it is boring as hell but they're attracting great sponsors, tv time, and getting tons of young people involved.

6/22/09, 10:23 PM   #29
staggerman

I would like to see the pavement and dirt sprints break off into two seperate series and point funds. If USAC had a dirt only series I think they could have 20-30 teams chasing the title and running all the shows. Now you got dirt racers that will hit and miss events as they can not afford or are not interested in a pavement operation.

USAC also needs to look at how they give more back to the loyal followers of the series with tow money. Heck the Woo, All Stars, and ASCS National Tour all pay tow money to their loyal followers. I struggle with all the tracks in IN, OH, MI, KY, and IL and there doesn't seem to be many shows in these areas (outside of IN but I still think there could be more shows there). When you do get races in these areas you need to have 2-3 races per weekend to make it viable for the teams.

As for the pavement. Need to control tire costs, some how eliminate testing, and get more dates. If you can not have at least 15 shows, why bother unless you seperate the dirt and pavement point titles. Overall pavement racing is struggling in the midwest, look at the current car counts for AVSS and HOSS.

Sounds like you are taking the right approach by having some town hall meetings with the teams, drivers and sponsors. That is a step in the right direction.

6/22/09, 10:40 PM   #30
TommyTipover

You asked about wings...please don't go there on dirt. What makes USAC special on dirt is the fact they don't race with wings. However, I think it's worth a shot to try wings on the pavement....

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill