IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who has the bigger driver area/chassis
1/10/15, 9:53 AM   #1
Who has the bigger driver area/chassis
buhrracing

Midget chassis.......

Ok folks, doing some research and I have talked to some chassis builders already but going the extra mile to see what else is out there and available. I need a chassis/driver area that is not only wide, but longer than standard....This is for a 6' 3" person and current car length his knees hit the steering box and cant really move his knees/legs around and needs more room..

Ill try to explain the measurement taken if I can...
  1. what is your Inside to Inside measurement between frame rails/Seat area?
  2. what is your Center measurement from the steering box left side tube, to the inside of lower seat bar behind seat?

For instance my current car inside to inside seat area is 21 1/2", my measurement for center of steering left side tube to the inside of the rear seat bar is 28". this is where I need the length longer and 2" taller cage is necessary..

Chassis builder or people that will help, please measure if you would and PM me your measurements or if you able to build a specific chassis bigger, please send me details and please include what chassis brand this is from and cost. You can email me directly at ronnieandpam01@comcast.net.

Thanks...
Last edited by buhrracing; 1/10/15 at 10:15 AM.

1/10/15, 10:40 AM   #2
cata1351

No idea about current car measurements, but when I ran midgets in mid 90's to 2002, I ran stealth chassis and had enough room. I am 6'2". The new cars certainly look even larger than my stealths were.

1/10/15, 6:38 PM   #3
Re: Who has the bigger driver area/chassis
sprntr

Wasn't there a Pacer's player who ran a Midget 8-10 years ago? What brand chassis did he run?

steiny

1/10/15, 8:39 PM   #4
LEADERS EDGE

Is the A frame behind the seat moved back? A couple of inches can make a huge difference. Many of the newer cars are 33 or 33.5 engine setback. 34 inch car could help some to as well as having a half box

1 member likes this post: Puppy
1/10/15, 9:04 PM   #5
cshuman

DRC has the most room of any midget I've been in.. And that's a lot!

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Wayne Davis
1/10/15, 10:25 PM   #6
Puppy

You don't need a special car although that would be nice. Make sure the A frame is moved backwards as someone else said. WE even relocated the steering mounts for me before. I'm 6"4'...

1/11/15, 12:08 AM   #7
buhrracing

CShuman, do you have access to one to measure?

And thanks to all the other replies and PM's...still need direct measurements, thanks..

1/11/15, 11:13 AM   #8
buhrracing

Here is a photo with the measurement I am looking for to help explain the best can what I am looking for....

CShuman, I reached out to CJ Leary as I didn't know he raced DRC. A friend of mine sons is really good friends with CJ so I hit them up for some help. Thanks!!
Attached Images
measurement.jpg (226.5 KB, 128 views)

1/11/15, 11:24 AM   #9
TQ29m

Depends on where you are running your fuel pump, but you can drop that steering down to just above the torque ball housing, and give yourself a lot of knee room, it puts your knees just above the steering, and your shins are in an open area, because your feet are back just a bit more, gives you a lot more room in the cockpit. Bob

1/11/15, 11:31 AM   #10
Kellen Conover

I would just call DRC directly, http://www.drcchassisindy.com they can give you the measurement you want. Most cars will probably be the same but like was mentioned above moving the A frame back, which is the rear point of your measurement is a easy option if you already have a chassis.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who has the bigger driver area/chassis