IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How to improve our sport?
7/6/08, 1:50 PM   #1
How to improve our sport?
Gasman fan 50

What I miss here in Northern Cal. is the total invert! I think we were the last place go go to 6 or 8 to invert! So, when fast time started dead last that was a race!:checkered:

To get this done, put some money out there for fast time!:greenflag: Like a 1,ooo or so.:applaud:

Joe

7/6/08, 1:58 PM   #2
Re: How to improve our sport?
illiNOISE

A total invert could be dangerous. What happens when someone shows up with a 10-15 year old car with a steel block 305 at a lightning fast half-mile or 3/8ths and qualifies 2 or 3-seconds slower than every other car? This driver would start on the pole of his heat race.

7/6/08, 3:22 PM   #3
sprinter25

Unfortunately, with cars and motors being almost equal, fast time can be more of a handicap than anything else.....

Take a look at the spread in qualifying times between the 24 or 32 fastest cars....it's gotten so close anymore, that it is almost impossible to pass....I do think that the Knoxville Nationals format, which fully inverts the heats, offers some of the best heat races in the country. But the points awarded for qualifying well can help overcome a poor heat race run...

And most of the faster car owners and drivers will tell you that a full invert is too tough on equipment, since you risk getting caught up in a "squirrel" wreck....and the odds of that wreck happening are higher with a full invert....

7/6/08, 7:22 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Im not for a full invert (However they did it at Burg in the 70s) But 10-12 is totally doable. This 0-4-6 format is providing some really lame racing, Expecially with wings. I won't go to another All Star show they start straight up. Without cautions you could predict the top five in order after three laps.

Chuck

7/7/08, 11:26 AM   #5
Gasman fan 50

I thought the cars that make the main could draw a pill. Simi cars start in the back as they finish.:applaud: This way the track could have their intermission in front of the fans as drivers draw their pills! Drivers get to be seen!

I'm surprise no one had any ideas!:thumbsdown:

Joe

7/7/08, 12:57 PM   #6

I think you have to keep it random or guys will start lifting. When guys don't go all out in qualifing whats the point of it? Me personally I like it when they drawl for the heat races, the way you finish your heat is the way you start This only works good on short tracks. Not nascar short tracks, real short tracks less than 1/2 mile. On track 1/2 or bigger as long as they don't get caught up in a wreck, the fast normally come thru quickly.

7/7/08, 2:39 PM   #7
Gasman fan 50

Run two sets of heats, the winner starts last in the second heat, total points!
Joe

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How to improve our sport?