IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
cbhhms17439 (Offline)
  #1 3/11/17 8:38 PM
Anyone out there paint there own wings was wondering whats all involved far as Prepping The wing ive paint frames and bodies before but never painted aluminum is there anything special in prepping aluminum as far as sanding and such
suzuki756 (Offline)
  #2 3/11/17 9:10 PM
Scuff it with grey scuff pad ,a good cleaning and etch primer, and put on rubber gloves don't want to touch it with your hands after cleaning aluminum is a self healing metal it will glaze fast you don't need complete coverage with etch one coat is fine
red70racer (Offline)
  #3 3/11/17 9:13 PM
I always paint them just like a panel on the car, of course I never get fancy because sometimes they don't last very long
I never use zinc chromate primer or any special aluminum paint stuff
D-A it down, prime, scuff & paint
TQ29m (Offline)
  #4 3/11/17 9:21 PM
My answer may be a bit more homey, but in the day of the Corvair, we had to paint the part that held the radio, GM said wipe it down good with white vinegar, make sure it dries good, and paint, still using the same procedure. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
xoxide (Offline)
  #5 3/12/17 9:28 AM
Get it powdercoated and skip the headache of painting it
cbhhms17439 (Offline)
  #6 3/12/17 1:37 PM
What about a wrap and who does them for wings, and r they very expensive
sprinter31 (Offline)
  #7 3/12/17 4:27 PM
I wrap the sides, and don't paint them anymore. get higher scrap prices for non painted aluminum. gotta make money racing sometime Lol
Blacki-Suede (Offline)
  #8 3/12/17 7:57 PM
Don't claim to be an expert, far from it, but I recently prepped some aluminum body panels for paint. I followed the procedures that are used to paint aluminum airplane panels. Anodine is a two part, wipe on prep. Part one is an an aluminum cleaner (PPG DX533) and part two is an aluminum conditioner (PPG DX503). This process anodized the aluminum. Final step was epoxy primer. So far it has held up well. Might be a bit much for a sprint car wing, but.......
cbhhms17439 (Offline)
  #9 3/14/17 1:09 PM
Thank you guys for the input