IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Don Smith collection auction
3/21/18, 10:37 PM   #1
Don Smith collection auction
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 51

Don Smith's Terre Haute collection up for auction
www.njgallivan.com/auction/330679/the-donald-e-don-smith-collection/?utm_source=Gallivan&utm_medium=SM&utm_campaign=Do nSmith
If could only hit the lottery before then!
Last edited by itsanonwingthing; 3/21/18 at 10:56 PM.

3/21/18, 11:59 PM   #2
Re: Don Smith collection auction
openwheelfan1

There are so many historically significant open wheel cars in this collection. I sincerely hope the cars got to collectors that will take care of these cars.

5 members like this post: erich45, jim goerge, Speedwrench, superstock30, tirespinner
3/22/18, 2:45 AM   #3
revjimk

Wow.... that guy has some awesome stuff! Must be a zillionaire....
Should I max out my credit cards buying Powerball tickets & head out there????

2 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner
3/22/18, 9:56 PM   #4
nitrofunny

Does he have any surviving family members? Seems lIke someone would like to have some of these things.

3/22/18, 11:12 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

He had a nephew that ran the 500 wheels museum in Terre Haute but most of the stuff was also his.

It's a shame this has to be broken up. It's such a eclectic and neet collection. Four pole barns all security. Everything in em that could be inured was. Buildings had halon fire protection. Custom artwork and a bunch of gags inside and a secret Crow them that his artist did. Inside and out.

My facebook pictures has a album of some of the stuff as does Keiths. We were lucky enough to visit and visit him when he was still somewhat spry about six years ago.

First building had Several old racecars, A couple recreations, Mears Backup Penzoil indy car.
Second building had all the old pace cars he used at Terre Haute, Mainly caddy and Lincoln Convertables.

Third had anything and everything non race car. Delorean, A VW bug with 12 miles on it. Preditor, viper. BOSS HoSS V8 Bike.

Fourth had TQ's to WoO a couple fire truck and even a Sleigh or two. A Kinser, Bobby Davis, Dave Blaney and Swindell Late 80s WoO cars.

Just neat, Did the 500 wheels museum a few years back as it was open a Terre Haute USAC day and it has a backroom with some more pace cars. Superbird, Super Bee, Charger and some other neat stuff.

4 members like this post: EBookerFan, jim goerge, mc/rider, oppweld
3/23/18, 12:05 AM   #6
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I didn't see much of anything on the list that I saw at the museum last summer. Hopefully it will still exist after the auction.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/23/18, 12:50 AM   #7
Speedwrench

I took a look through the rundown of the items for sale and it seems to me that there are some cars missing, most notable the Black Deuce.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/23/18, 12:57 PM   #8
2140rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwrench View Post
I took a look through the rundown of the items for sale and it seems to me that there are some cars missing, most notable the Black Deuce.
They are not auctioning off everything by a long shot. The top line cars in the 500 Museum of Wheels (including the Black Deuce among many others) aren't on the list.

https://sites.google.com/site/500museumofwheels/home

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Simon_says17, Speedwrench, tirespinner
3/24/18, 5:16 AM   #9
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
He had a nephew that ran the 500 wheels museum in Terre Haute but most of the stuff was also his.

It's a shame this has to be broken up. It's such a eclectic and neet collection. Four pole barns all security. Everything in em that could be inured was. Buildings had halon fire protection. Custom artwork and a bunch of gags inside and a secret Crow them that his artist did. Inside and out.

My facebook pictures has a album of some of the stuff as does Keiths. We were lucky enough to visit and visit him when he was still somewhat spry about six years ago.

First building had Several old racecars, A couple recreations, Mears Backup Penzoil indy car.
Second building had all the old pace cars he used at Terre Haute, Mainly caddy and Lincoln Convertables.

Third had anything and everything non race car. Delorean, A VW bug with 12 miles on it. Preditor, viper. BOSS HoSS V8 Bike.

Fourth had TQ's to WoO a couple fire truck and even a Sleigh or two. A Kinser, Bobby Davis, Dave Blaney and Swindell Late 80s WoO cars.

Just neat, Did the 500 wheels museum a few years back as it was open a Terre Haute USAC day and it has a backroom with some more pace cars. Superbird, Super Bee, Charger and some other neat stuff.
"He had a nephew that ran the 500 wheels museum in Terre Haute but most of the stuff was also his."... I visited that museum & met him a while back, nice guy, invited me to sit in some of the cars & took pictures ( l looked pretty silly, like an overgrown kid! )
What kind of business was Don Smith in? LOTS of great stuff!

3/24/18, 10:45 AM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Don Smith was bank president of first national bank of terre haute. He was also a long time promotor of Terre Haute Action track. He sponsored many racers and tracks over the years.

The Long Standing belief in Terre Haute is that Mary Hulman (Clabber Girl) owned North Terre Haute and that Don Smith (first) owned South Terre Haute. Him AJ Foyt and others were friends for a long time and would visit and hunt on his Riley In property.

Don told us on our visit that he didn't make Terre Haute Action Track Famous, The Racers did. Its still that way, just not connected to Indy Car.

It was a couple years after we toured the Riley collection that I got to see the 500 wheels museum and the guy that was there gave me tons of old Terre Haute and Indy Mile Programs, Gave me his card and said call anytime you want to visit. I live a half mile away.

3 members like this post: davidm, Dirtfan, racer-x
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Don Smith collection auction