IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question........
7/19/13, 11:54 AM   #1
Lightning Sprint Question........
openwheel44

MALS is considering closing out the year with a slightly larger purse race. Nothing is set in stone yet but we would like a little feedback before we take this any farther. Looking at everyone's schedules....MMSA ,AMSA, WIMS, ILLS, RMMSA, and MLS everyone's seaons seems to be wound down by the end of Sept. As many of you know, our normal purse is $650 to win and $70 to start. Like I said.....we would bump that purse up to around $1000 to win, add some in all positions and leave our mileage pay bonus system we have implemented all year. That $1000 to win is NOT based on any minimum car count either. Basically.....A race with roughly a $5000 purse plus mileage incentives centered around 20 cars. We are thinking the end of Sept. or the first weekend in Oct.

Let alone some will be "raced out" and "burned out," we realize weather can become a large issue. Our question is plain and simple...........is anyone truly interested? I know it is easy to say "HELL YES, COLOR ME THERE!" But then reality sets in and something unfortunately comes up. We are asking for honest opinions before we pursue this any further. Any feedback would be extremely appreciated. I am big boy so lay it on me.......good or bad.

Might be a good time for some of us to have a "preliminary" get together to discuss the pesky "National Rules" some people don't want. Obviously, the clock is ticking and we need to decide "yay or nay" on this fairly quickly.

Thanks in advance. Please either respond here, email me or call............(913) 371-5212 or jmillwright@kc.rr.com

1 member likes this post: wing-44
7/19/13, 1:53 PM   #2
Re: Lightning Sprint Question........
midwest84

I would count us in for at least 2 cars. This would be very good for the sport and we would gladly support it.

7/19/13, 3:30 PM   #3
Copperhead

What track are you looking to run the event at?

7/19/13, 3:41 PM   #4
openwheel44

At this point........one of two possible tracks near the Kansas City Area.

7/19/13, 5:45 PM   #5
minisprintracing

Hi PhiL, It would be nice if you could get a race the night before the big Peoria race if they are still having it the end of September. Just my opinion. I was going to try and make that if all goes well. Don

Posted via Mobile Device

7/22/13, 12:06 PM   #6
buckshot3448

My personal opinion is dont do it around the peoria race. You risk hurting both car counts. I for one wouldn't even be interested if it was the day before. maybe the weekend after would be better. Also you guys usually run the bigger tracks. I think if you kept it at 1/4 mile or smaller the better. I have a feeling your thinking about running at atchison? That would be the perfect little bull ring for something like this. We would definitely be interested in coming over for it as long as it didnt hurt our peoria plans.

7/22/13, 12:18 PM   #7
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

Spiker Racing Products will bring at least 2 cars.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/22/13, 12:52 PM   #8
El1teBr33ze

After looking at schedules, ILSS, MMSA, WIMS, and AMSA are done after the ILSS Memorial Race. MLS has I-35 on their schedule through the end of September (with Sept 28 as a "possible national event").

I would say September 28 (you guys with MLS - if they're even doing a national event).

This is just my input, not even saying we're coming, but we would consider it depending on the track. I can say for myself that if it's the first weekend in October, I will instead be attending Gold Crown at Tri-City. To note: Roger hasn't had much luck scheduling a race in October (with weather and cars being done).

7/22/13, 3:15 PM   #9
openwheel44

While it sounds enticing to schedule a race the same weekend as the Peoria race, I wouldn't do that out of respect for what they are doing. I wouldn't want to jeopardize their car count. Besides......Friday night for most folks would be a booger to get to. School has started back up by late Sept. and that presents problems in itself. Sunday night is just as bad since many have to go to work Monday.

And no.......wouldn't be ACR (Atchison). Either a quarter mile track or a "large" quarter mile track. And yes.......Bob Douglas (MLS) and myself talked about some sort of "National" caliber event at the beginning of the year for possibly this year. That would be rehashed/explored if this seems feasible. Just trying to get a pulse of the situation so we can either move on this or put it to rest.

7/22/13, 5:10 PM   #10
Bradleyracing86

What is the chances that this race could be a open national event. Beat the bushes, and get every mini sprint to the track.
1000s, old 1200s, stock engines, built engines. Make the pay through the field.
After the races maybe the next day open meeting about national rule structure. Open town hall meeting style. Racers from every group could be present and explain there positions. The cars are out there Phil, if we can get them to play together we would really have something.
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 7/22/13 at 5:16 PM.

1 member likes this post: RoyaltonMiniSprint
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question........