IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Any updates on terre haute?
10/17/17, 9:49 AM   #31
Re: Any updates on terre haute?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

There is one video on youtube. Think it might have been the CRA/USAC showdown in the 90s? That shows them dumping bags of powder onto the track in a daytime race at Terre Haute. Not sure what it was but they were dumping it straight from the bags.

Staab always swore Mel Johnson at the Burg would dump detergent in the water truck and it would keep the track tacky but greasy back in the 80s. Said it was never the same twice. But you could go out after a whole night of racing and it would still suck your shoe off and you could see where the clay just kept rolling every time a car leaned into it. Usually with a 2ft curb at the top.
Of course the track sat in 4ft of water all winter and the water table was only a couple ft below the track at most times of the year.

Last edited by Charles Nungester; 10/17/17 at 9:52 AM.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
10/17/17, 8:26 PM   #32
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_says17 View Post
I noticed they were spreading calcium chloride on the track throughout the night to try and keep moisture in it. Do any other tracks do that?

I just wish the guy was not standing on the tongue of the spreader. That had a fatal accident written all over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 member likes this post: addictedtodirt
10/17/17, 8:40 PM   #33
Rpracing1

According to Track Enterprises the material put on the track was "Just a positive mixture of a few things to attempt to keep a little more moisture in the track."

10/18/17, 10:51 AM   #34
Re: Any updates on terre haute?
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
According to Track Enterprises the material put on the track was "Just a positive mixture of a few things to attempt to keep a little more moisture in the track."
I like it! Mum's the word

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, erich45, flagboy55
10/18/17, 4:30 PM   #35
ByronMack

Was a great race. It was my first time to Terre Haute, absolutely loved the track, now just have to get to kokomo next year and I'll have all the dirt tracks in Indiana visited. As for the last race, got one left this Sat night at tri state, should be a great show.

10/18/17, 4:32 PM   #36
ByronMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Sounds like you guys had a good show from what I read, wish I could have made it. A friend of mine on twitter described the track as perfect, while my former engine builder called it dusty and slick. Would like to hear some other opinions
Very little dust, multiple lanes, throwing sliders one after another, was a great race.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, Kydehart, oppweld, Simon_says17
10/18/17, 6:48 PM   #37
addictedtodirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronMack View Post
Was a great race. It was my first time to Terre Haute, absolutely loved the track, now just have to get to kokomo next year and I'll have all the dirt tracks in Indiana visited. As for the last race, got one left this Sat night at tri state, should be a great show.
You just may have left the best for last!

10/18/17, 7:53 PM   #38
flagboy55

After talking to my friend, he said he may have gotten spoiled from great racing and a great track at FALS the week prior. Also said his shoes still haven't dried out from walking through the pits there. Sounds like a great race, how the action track should be. When it's right, it's among the best and certainly one of the most historic.

1 member likes this post: Kydehart
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Any updates on terre haute?